* MS Outlook fails to import iCal export file
@ 2006-03-27 21:15 Philip Rooke
From: Philip Rooke @ 2006-03-27 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have just tried to import an iCalendar export from an Org-mode file
into Microsoft Outlook 2000 (SP3).  This was the first time I have
done this and it failed with a rather unhelpful "Import operation
failed [OK]" error message.

I tried editing the .ics export file and found that changing the
VERSION: string from 2.0 to 1.0 allowed the import to succeed.  This
is good enough as a work around for my very occasional needs.

I was just wondering whether anyone might know if there could be
something wrong with the format of original Org-mode export file.
(This version of Outlook can definitely export/import VERSION: 2.0
.ics files created by itself).

Regards,

Phil

* Re: MS Outlook fails to import iCal export file
@ 2006-03-28  8:55 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-03-28  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Rooke; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 27, 2006, at 23:15, Philip Rooke wrote:

> I have just tried to import an iCalendar export from an Org-mode file
> into Microsoft Outlook 2000 (SP3).  This was the first time I have
> done this and it failed with a rather unhelpful "Import operation
> failed [OK]" error message.
>
> I tried editing the .ics export file and found that changing the
> VERSION: string from 2.0 to 1.0 allowed the import to succeed.  This
> is good enough as a work around for my very occasional needs.

Well, I am not surprised, I wrote the exporter without looking at any
specifications, just what I could figure out from looking at the
icalendar files produced by Apples iCal program.  The I tweaked the
output until iCal would read that file.  If there is anyone knowing
more about the icalendar format, it would be great to improve this.

Of course, I can simply say VERSION: 1.0.....

- Carsten

* Re: MS Outlook fails to import iCal export file
@ 2006-04-03 20:47   ` Philip Rooke
From: Philip Rooke @ 2006-04-03 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> Of course, I can simply say VERSION: 1.0.....

No, I wouldn't do that.

Some more investigation shows that including a METHOD: line in the
Org-mode export file (and leaving the VERSION at 2.0) also allows the
import to succeed.  This, together with some Googling on issues
importing to Outlook 2000, seems to indicate that this workflow is
unlikely to ever work - or, at the very least, it will be rather
fragile.  There are too many problems with the (fully patched) Outlook
2000 client I am using.  Sorry to trouble you.

@ 2006-04-04  7:16     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-04-04  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Rooke; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 3, 2006, at 22:47, Philip Rooke wrote:

> No, I wouldn't do that.
>
> Some more investigation shows that including a METHOD: line in the
> Org-mode export file (and leaving the VERSION at 2.0) also allows the
> import to succeed.  This, together with some Googling on issues
> importing to Outlook 2000, seems to indicate that this workflow is
> unlikely to ever work - or, at the very least, it will be rather
> fragile.  There are too many problems with the (fully patched) Outlook
> 2000 client I am using.  Sorry to trouble you.

Sometimes you really wonder what this whole town of programmers at
Microsoft are doing with their time.....

- Carsten