* org-capture (lost PATCH?)
@ 2010-09-28  1:41 Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2010-09-28  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten

I had proposed a patch to org-capture in this thread.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-08/msg01152.html

The patch has neither been rejected nor accepted. I am a bit concerned
that it might have been lost.

Interested in knowing your feedback ...

Jambunathan K.

* Re: org-capture (lost PATCH?)
@ 2010-09-28  2:29 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-09-28  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

> I had proposed a patch to org-capture in this thread.
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-08/msg01152.html
>
> The patch has neither been rejected nor accepted. I am a bit concerned
> that it might have been lost.

It's currently on patchwork with the status of "deferred":

http://patchwork.newartisans.com/patch/246/

Best,
Matt

* Re: org-capture (lost PATCH?)
@ 2010-09-28  4:39   ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2010-09-28  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Matt

>> I had proposed a patch to org-capture in this thread.
>>
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-08/msg01152.html
>>
>> The patch has neither been rejected nor accepted. I am a bit concerned
>> that it might have been lost.
>
> It's currently on patchwork with the status of "deferred":
>
> http://patchwork.newartisans.com/patch/246/

Thanks.

Reassuring to know that this is still under the radar.

From the patchwork server side, two things could be considered:

1. Enhance the web interface[1] to show *all* *not DONE* items.

   - http://patchwork.newartisans.com/project/org-mode/list/

2. Generate an automated reply to a submitter of the patch giving him an
   URL to the patch. This will enable under the hood access to the patch
   state.

Either or both of 1 and 2 would avoid anxiety on contributor's side
particularly the newer ones.

Thanks,
Jambunathan K.

* Re: org-capture (lost PATCH?)
@ 2010-09-28  4:45     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-09-28  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: Matt Lundin, emacs-orgmode

On Sep 28, 2010, at 6:39 AM, Jambunathan K wrote:

> Matt
>
>>> I had proposed a patch to org-capture in this thread.
>>>
>>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-08/
>>> msg01152.html
>>>
>>> The patch has neither been rejected nor accepted. I am a bit
>>> concerned
>>> that it might have been lost.
>>
>> It's currently on patchwork with the status of "deferred":
>>
>> http://patchwork.newartisans.com/patch/246/
>
> Thanks.
>
> Reassuring to know that this is still under the radar.

No really.

The message with the patch did state this:

> The intention of this mail is to share my notes and influence you to
> considering adding the needed support in the core. In effect the
> attached patch is demo-only and not to be construed as a formal
> commit request.
There was no further discussion of the patch in the mailing group,
no followup or support.  ANd I have not yet spent the time to really
understand what this was all about.

- Carsten

> From the patchwork server side, two things could be considered:
>
> 1. Enhance the web interface[1] to show *all* *not DONE* items.
>
>   - http://patchwork.newartisans.com/project/org-mode/list/
>
> 2. Generate an automated reply to a submitter of the patch giving
> him an
>   URL to the patch. This will enable under the hood access to the
> patch
>   state.
>
> Either or both of 1 and 2 would avoid anxiety on contributor's side
> particularly the newer ones.
>
> Thanks,
> Jambunathan K.

* Re: org-capture (lost PATCH?)
@ 2010-09-28  5:20       ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2010-09-28  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Matt Lundin, emacs-orgmode

> On Sep 28, 2010, at 6:39 AM, Jambunathan K wrote:
>
>> Matt

>>> It's currently on patchwork with the status of "deferred":
>>>
>>> http://patchwork.newartisans.com/patch/246/
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Reassuring to know that this is still under the radar.
>
> No really.
>
> The message with the patch did state this:
>>
>> The intention of this mail is to share my notes and influence you to
>> considering adding the needed support in the core. In effect the
>> attached patch is demo-only and not to be construed as a formal
>> commit request.
> There was no further discussion of the patch in the mailing group,
> no followup or support.  ANd I have not yet spent the time to really
> understand what this was all about.

I was (and am) interested in feedback. I didn't make a commit request
because I felt that there could be some reservations on how useful the
patch could be.

All I can say is that I can assure co-operation from my side.

I sense that I had been a bit verbose and a bit too cautious. This seems
to have turned off any further interest. A lesson for me here.

I leave the table to you.

Jambunathan K.

> - Carsten
>

>> From the patchwork server side, two things could be considered:
>>
>> 1. Enhance the web interface[1] to show *all* *not DONE* items.
>>
>>   - http://patchwork.newartisans.com/project/org-mode/list/
>>
>> 2. Generate an automated reply to a submitter of the patch giving
>> him an
>>   URL to the patch. This will enable under the hood access to the
>> patch
>>   state.
>>
>> Either or both of 1 and 2 would avoid anxiety on contributor's side
>> particularly the newer ones.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jambunathan K.

* Re: Re: org-capture (lost PATCH?)
@ 2010-09-28  7:43         ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-09-28  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: Matt Lundin, emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Aloha Jambunathan K.,

Please, don't leave the table to Carsten!

The Org-mode community is full of exceptionally talented people, like
Carsten, who choose to spend some of their time developing Org-mode
because it is interesting, fun and wickedly useful.

If your patch didn't generate the interest you think it might deserve,
then please have some more fun developing it to the point that the
rest of us can have fun with it, too.

All the best,
Tom