* Best way to use org-mode as a work log
@ 2009-12-19 15:50 Ethan Brown
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ethan Brown @ 2009-12-19 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've been an emacs user since about 1990, but have just recently
discovered org-mode.  It seems as if it would be very well suited to
use as my work log--I currently just use a regular text file.

Since a work log is based around daily entries, I'm wondering if
anyone can recommend the best way to use org-mode for such a purpose.
I perused the FAQs but didn't see anything.  Org-mode apparently
integrates with the emacs calendar/diary so there is probably a "right
way" to do this.  If there's a FM out there that deals with this I'm
happy to RTFM.

I read the excellent tutorial at
http://www.newartisans.com/2007/08/using-org-mode-as-a-day-planner.html about
using org-mode as a day planner, but a work log is somewhat different, as it's a
recount of the events and tasks worked on during the day.

Thanks for you help.

* Re: Best way to use org-mode as a work log
@ 2009-12-19 16:07 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2009-12-19 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ethan Brown; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ethan Brown <ethandbrown@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been an emacs user since about 1990, but have just recently
> discovered org-mode.  It seems as if it would be very well suited to
> use as my work log--I currently just use a regular text file.

Would you mind explaining what you mean by a work log? Org-mode has
built in logging and clocking features to track when you worked on
something and how long you spent on it. Using the agenda, you can easily
review all your work from any past date, week, etc. But perhaps you mean
something more like a diary?

> Since a work log is based around daily entries, I'm wondering if
> anyone can recommend the best way to use org-mode for such a purpose.
> I perused the FAQs but didn't see anything. Org-mode apparently
> integrates with the emacs calendar/diary so there is probably a "right
> way" to do this. If there's a FM out there that deals with this I'm
> happy to RTFM.

These sections of the manual should be of interest:

 - http://orgmode.org/manual/Progress-logging.html#Progress-logging

 - http://orgmode.org/manual/Agenda-commands.html#Agenda-commands (see
   the command vl or l - toggle logbook mode)

 - http://orgmode.org/manual/Clocking-work-time.html#Clocking-work-time

> I read the excellent tutorial at
> http://www.newartisans.com/2007/08/using-org-mode-as-a-day-planner.html
> about using org-mode as a day planner, but a work log is somewhat
> different, as it's a recount of the events and tasks worked on during
> the day.

You might want to check out Bernt Hansen's nice walk-through, which
deals extensively with clocking:

http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html

Best,
Matt

* Re: Best way to use org-mode as a work log
@ 2009-12-19 16:35 ` Mueen Nawaz
From: Mueen Nawaz @ 2009-12-19 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 12/19/09 09:50, Ethan Brown wrote:
> Since a work log is based around daily entries, I'm wondering if
> anyone can recommend the best way to use org-mode for such a purpose.
> I perused the FAQs but didn't see anything.  Org-mode apparently
> integrates with the emacs calendar/diary so there is probably a "right
> way" to do this.  If there's a FM out there that deals with this I'm
> happy to RTFM.

	Org mode is very amenable to multiple solutions to a problem, so I'm
not sure there's a "right way".

	As Matt suggested, perhaps you could explain a bit more as to your
requirements: What information needs to be saved, how you would like it
organized, and what things do you often need to refer to when looking in
your logs later on. Or give us an idea how you've been doing it in your
text file.

* Re: Best way to use org-mode as a work log
@ 2009-12-19 18:48   ` Ethan Brown
From: Ethan Brown @ 2009-12-19 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 8:07 AM, Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:
> Ethan Brown <ethandbrown@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I've been an emacs user since about 1990, but have just recently
>> discovered org-mode.  It seems as if it would be very well suited to
>> use as my work log--I currently just use a regular text file.
>
> Would you mind explaining what you mean by a work log? Org-mode has
> built in logging and clocking features to track when you worked on
> something and how long you spent on it. Using the agenda, you can easily
> review all your work from any past date, week, etc. But perhaps you mean
> something more like a diary?
>
>> Since a work log is based around daily entries, I'm wondering if
>> anyone can recommend the best way to use org-mode for such a purpose.
>> I perused the FAQs but didn't see anything. Org-mode apparently
>> integrates with the emacs calendar/diary so there is probably a "right
>> way" to do this. If there's a FM out there that deals with this I'm
>> happy to RTFM.
>
> These sections of the manual should be of interest:
>
>  - http://orgmode.org/manual/Progress-logging.html#Progress-logging
>
>  - http://orgmode.org/manual/Agenda-commands.html#Agenda-commands (see
>   the command vl or l - toggle logbook mode)
>
>  - http://orgmode.org/manual/Clocking-work-time.html#Clocking-work-time
>
>> I read the excellent tutorial at
>> http://www.newartisans.com/2007/08/using-org-mode-as-a-day-planner.html
>> about using org-mode as a day planner, but a work log is somewhat
>> different, as it's a recount of the events and tasks worked on during
>> the day.
>
> You might want to check out Bernt Hansen's nice walk-through, which
> deals extensively with clocking:
>
> http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html
>
> Best,
> Matt

Thanks Matt, and also Mueen for the responses.   I have a work log
spanning the last 5 or so years on my current project.  It's a plain
text file that I just edit in emacs, plain and simple.  Here is how my
work log is organized and how I've done my initial conversion to
org-mode.  My current format is of the form:
05/14/09

    Accounting system:
            Work on CSS for tables
                 ** Use standard fonts!

             Design schema for SAP integration.

05/15/09
05/16/09

So when I start my work day, I just add the current date to the end of
the file and type away.   After reviewing the Org-mode docs and
playing around a bit I decided to just start simple and work my way
slowly into the more complex features.  I decided that my
implementation would set a top-level outline for each day and then set
the daily tasks with appropriate tags.  I needed to convert my current
work log, which contains entries from the last 5 or so years.  The
conversion was quite simple:

(1)  Replace all lines with "*" in the first character to "+" as the
first character so as not to inadvertently create an outline entry.
         M-x replace-regexp RET ^ *\* RET + RET

(2)  Replace all daily start entry lines with top-level outline
entries.  So lines of the form:

        05/15/09
     would be transformed to to lines of the form
        * Day Entry [2009-05-14]

     M-x replace-regexp RET
^\([0-9]\{1,2\}\)/\([0-9]\{1,2\}\)/\([0-9]\{2\}\) RET * Day Entry
\[20\3-\1-\2]  RET

And voila!  My work log was converted to org-mode format and I'm ready
to go.  Here's my work log for today in my new format, previous days
collapsed:

* Day Entry [2009-12-17] ...
* Day Entry [2009-12-18] ...
* Day Entry [2009-12-19]
** DONE Convert worklog to emacs .org file.        :work_organization:
   CLOSED: [2009-12-19 Sat 09:23]
*** DONE Replace all lines with * in the first character to +.
    CLOSED: [2009-12-19 Sat 09:10]
*** DONE Change all lines with starting entries XX/YY/ZZ to day entries of the
    CLOSED: [2009-12-19 Sat 09:23]
      form * Day Entry [20ZZ-XX-YY]
        Use emacs replace-regex
	  ^\([0-9]\{1,2\}\)/\([0-9]\{1,2\}\)/\([0-9]\{2\}\)
	   => * Day Entry \[20\3-\1-\2]

I'm currently using KTimeTracker for doing my project time tracking,
but I'm going to read up on the org-mode timers and perhaps switch
over.

Thanks again,

--Ethan

* Re: Best way to use org-mode as a work log
@ 2009-12-20 16:51 ` Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2009-12-20 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ethan Brown; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

2009/12/19 Ethan Brown <ethandbrown@gmail.com>:
> I've been an emacs user since about 1990, but have just recently
> discovered org-mode.  It seems as if it would be very well suited to
> use as my work log--I currently just use a regular text file.
>
> Since a work log is based around daily entries, I'm wondering if
> anyone can recommend the best way to use org-mode for such a purpose.
> I perused the FAQs but didn't see anything.  Org-mode apparently
> integrates with the emacs calendar/diary so there is probably a "right
> way" to do this.  If there's a FM out there that deals with this I'm
> happy to RTFM.

I have a very simple method of using org-mode for this kind of thing.
I have the following remember template:

(setq org-remember-templates
      '(("Journal" ?j "* %^{Journal Entry} %^g\n  %T\n %i\n %? %a %&"
         "~/org/journal.org" "Journal"))
  ;; ...
)

Then doing C-c r [j]ournal inserts an entry into my journal.org file
under the Journal Heading.  This file is then just a big linear list
of headlines with notes under them.

e.g.

* Journal
** ...
** Emailed org-mode list with my journal setup
   <2009-12-20 Sun 16:48>

I sometimes tag these entries also.... but generally avoid using them
with TODO/DONE states.

Is this the kind of thing you're looking for?

R.

* Re: Best way to use org-mode as a work log
@ 2009-12-20 19:41   ` Ethan Brown
From: Ethan Brown @ 2009-12-20 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Moynihan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 8:51 AM, Rick Moynihan <rick.moynihan@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/12/19 Ethan Brown <ethandbrown@gmail.com>:
>> I've been an emacs user since about 1990, but have just recently
>> discovered org-mode.  It seems as if it would be very well suited to
>> use as my work log--I currently just use a regular text file.
>>
>> Since a work log is based around daily entries, I'm wondering if
>> anyone can recommend the best way to use org-mode for such a purpose.
>> I perused the FAQs but didn't see anything.  Org-mode apparently
>> integrates with the emacs calendar/diary so there is probably a "right
>> way" to do this.  If there's a FM out there that deals with this I'm
>> happy to RTFM.
>
> I have a very simple method of using org-mode for this kind of thing.
> I have the following remember template:
>
> (setq org-remember-templates
>      '(("Journal" ?j "* %^{Journal Entry} %^g\n  %T\n %i\n %? %a %&"
>         "~/org/journal.org" "Journal"))
>  ;; ...
> )
>
> Then doing C-c r [j]ournal inserts an entry into my journal.org file
> under the Journal Heading.  This file is then just a big linear list
> of headlines with notes under them.
>
> e.g.
>
> * Journal
> ** ...
> ** Emailed org-mode list with my journal setup
>   <2009-12-20 Sun 16:48>
>
> I sometimes tag these entries also.... but generally avoid using them
> with TODO/DONE states.
>
> Is this the kind of thing you're looking for?
>

> R.

Thanks Rick.  I was playing around with something like this earlier
today.  Unfortunately, I'm getting an error when I run
M-x org-remember  ("org-remember: Wrong type argument: commandp,
remember").  But fortunately, I'm getting the same error with your
expression, so I know the problem isn't my expression syntax :-/   But
I'll work through it.  Than you very much for your suggestion.

--Ethan

* Re: Re: Best way to use org-mode as a work log
@ 2009-12-20 22:25     ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2009-12-20 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Thanks Matt, and also Mueen for the responses.   I have a work log
> spanning the last 5 or so years on my current project.  It's a plain
> text file that I just edit in emacs, plain and simple.  Here is how my
> work log is organized and how I've done my initial conversion to
> org-mode.  My current format is of the form:
> 05/14/09
>
>     Accounting system:
>             Work on CSS for tables
>                  ** Use standard fonts!
>
>              Design schema for SAP integration.
>
> 05/15/09
> 05/16/09

My workflow & projects is the opposite. I use a logical layout
organized by topic, plan, notes, etc. Each time I leave org and return
I insert an inactive timestamp, as well as making sure that TODO item
changes are logged.

I find organizing by topic or plan to be immensely easier to use.

Then, if I need a time view into my work, I pull up the agenda. I'll
often use the logbook mode, and if I want real detail I'll activate
the inactive timestamps.

Its a beautiful way to work, allowing me to focus on comprehensive
notes and organizing the issues at hand, while org provides alternate
views into that data.

Thanks.