* How to Strip TODO headword and refile as a note
@ 2009-10-24  9:43 Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2009-10-24  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

I had a TODO item to go to the bank.  At the bank I had some issues to
discuss with a representative.  Now I'm home, I am going over my agenda
"todo" listing, and see this item, with a priority of "A".

I stumbled momentarily, realizing I not only want to archive this, get it
out of my agenda and todo file, I also want to file a note about the issues,
and what I learned about them.

I can archive the TODO, and then file a todo, or refile the todo ...  hope
people understand what I'm asking.  It's trivial, a simple elisp function to
strip TODO and maybe tags.

Thought someone might have an idea about this.

I apologize if this is something that has come up before.

Alan

* Re: How to Strip TODO headword and refile as a note
@ 2009-10-24 12:49 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2009-10-24 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan E. Davis; +Cc: org-mode

"Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@gmail.com> writes:

> I had a TODO item to go to the bank.  At the bank I had some issues to
> discuss with a representative.  Now I'm home, I am going over my agenda
> "todo" listing, and see this item, with a priority of "A".
>
> I stumbled momentarily, realizing I not only want to archive this, get
> it out of my agenda and todo file, I also want to file a note about the
> issues, and what I learned about them.
>
> I can archive the TODO, and then file a todo, or refile the todo ...
> hope people understand what I'm asking.  It's trivial, a simple elisp
> function to strip TODO and maybe tags.

I'm quite not sure I understand what you're asking, but wouldn't it be
simplest to mark the item as DONE? Inactive todos do not appear in the
agenda.

Then you could either add a note to the item with C-c C-z or simply jump
to the location of the complete item and add a new sibling with notes
and/or a new TODO.

But perhaps you're trying to accomplish something different...

Best,
Matt

* Re: How to Strip TODO headword and refile as a note
@ 2009-10-24 13:40 ` PT
From: PT @ 2009-10-24 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alan E. Davis <lngndvs <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I stumbled momentarily, realizing I not only
> want to archive this, get it out of my agenda and todo file, I
> also want to file a note about the issues, and what I learned
> about them.

The "todo file" expression suggests organizational problems. When
I began to use org-mode I also kept a todo file, but it's a
misunderstading of Org.

You don't need to keep your todos in a separate file. You should
keep everything in files thematically and toggle the TODO keyword
on the header right there in the natural context of the task.
Org will take care of scanning of your files and pick up your TODO
entries.

This way if you are done with an item you don't have to "move it
out of your agenda and todo file", because it's already there
where it belongs, you can add notes to it there and it will
disappear from the agenda if you toggle the item to DONE state.

* Re: Re: How to Strip TODO headword and refile as a note
@ 2009-10-24 23:38   ` Chris Leyon
From: Chris Leyon @ 2009-10-24 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 08:49, Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:
>> it out of my agenda and todo file, I also want to file a note about the
>> issues, and what I learned about them.
>
> I'm quite not sure I understand what you're asking, but wouldn't it be
> simplest to mark the item as DONE? Inactive todos do not appear in the
> agenda.
>
> Then you could either add a note to the item with C-c C-z or simply jump
> to the location of the complete item and add a new sibling with notes
> and/or a new TODO.
>
> But perhaps you're trying to accomplish something different...
>
> Best,
> Matt

One way to do this is to have DONE items automatically prompt for a
note.  You enter your text into a buffer and press C-c C-c to finish
the process.  It is very much like `remember'.  If you don't want a
note at all, press C-c C-k instead.  Do this by setting your
`org-todo-keywords' so that the DONE state is defined as "DONE(d@)".
See section 5.3.2 of the manual "Tracking TODO state changes".