* confusion with file search with org-links
@ 2010-11-11 15:58 I.S.
From: I.S. @ 2010-11-11 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear Experts,

I am a little confused about how file links are supposed to work in orgmode.

I have a link like [[file:/tmp/bug.bib::a bug][blah]] linking to a
BiBTeX file but when I try to follow it via C-c C-o it just goes to the
top of the file. Interestingly, when I open the file and set it to be in
text mode and then follow the link, org puts me to the proper place in
the file.

I suspect that org-mode is getting confused with the file search feature
when it opens a BiBTeX file.

Why do I care? I'd like to be able to use a function like the one below
to link to bib items:

   (defun store-bibtex-link ()
     "Make link to a bibtex entry.

Calling this function inside a BiBTeX entry will create a link to that
entry and store it so you can extract it via C-c C-l. This is useful
for making links to BiBTeX items from your org files.
"
     (interactive)
     (let* ((title (bibtex-autokey-get-field "title"))
            (myfile (buffer-file-name))
            (mylink (format "file:%s::%s" myfile title))
            )
       (setq org-stored-links (cons (list mylink title) org-stored-links))
       (message "Stored: %s" (or title mylink))
       ))

An example of the bug.bib illustrating the problem is shown below

% start bug.bib
% foo
% bar

@article{me98,
   title={a bug},
   author={me},
   journal={it},
   year=1998,
}

%blah

-I.S.

* Re: confusion with file search with org-links
@ 2010-11-11 16:09 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-11-11 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: I.S.; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi I.S.

This should already work out of the box in bibtex files, but it will
use the citation key instead of the title as the thing to search for.

the code for this functionality is in org-bibtex.el

- Carsten

@ 2010-11-15 18:07   ` I.S.
From: I.S. @ 2010-11-15 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 11/11/2010 11:09 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Hi I.S.
>
> This should already work out of the box in bibtex files, but it will
> use the citation key instead of the title as the thing to search for.
>
> the code for this functionality is in org-bibtex.el
>
> - Carsten
You are right, it does work out of the box.

Thanks again for such great features that new things I want are already
there. :)

Sorry for troubling you,
-I. S.