* confusion with file search with org-links
@ 2010-11-11 15:58 I.S.
From: I.S. @ 2010-11-11 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear Experts,

I am a little confused about how file links are supposed to work in orgmode.

I have a link like [[file:/tmp/bug.bib::a bug][blah]] linking to a
BiBTeX file but when I try to follow it via C-c C-o it just goes to the
top of the file. Interestingly, when I open the file and set it to be in
text mode and then follow the link, org puts me to the proper place in
the file.

I suspect that org-mode is getting confused with the file search feature
when it opens a BiBTeX file.

Why do I care? I'd like to be able to use a function like the one below
to link to bib items:

   (defun store-bibtex-link ()
     "Make link to a bibtex entry.

Calling this function inside a BiBTeX entry will create a link to that
entry and store it so you can extract it via C-c C-l. This is useful
for making links to BiBTeX items from your org files.
"
     (interactive)
     (let* ((title (bibtex-autokey-get-field "title"))
            (myfile (buffer-file-name))
            (mylink (format "file:%s::%s" myfile title))
            )
       (setq org-stored-links (cons (list mylink title) org-stored-links))
       (message "Stored: %s" (or title mylink))
       ))

An example of the bug.bib illustrating the problem is shown below

% start bug.bib
% foo
% bar

@article{me98,