* Autocollapse of outline nodes
@ 2006-04-24 12:15 Piotr Zielinski
From: Piotr Zielinski @ 2006-04-24 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Here's a small piece of code that periodically collapses all org nodes
(trees) which are far away (structurally) from the current cursor
position.  The purpose is to automatically collapse nodes which you
are no longer working on, thereby preventing uncontrolled growth of
the visible size of your .org buffer as the day progresses.

Please send your comments/suggestions, for example, whether this
functionality has already been implemented elsewhere.  Should work
with any outline buffer.

Piotr

;---------------------------
(defun local-fold-from-level (beg end level)
  (hide-region-body beg end)
  (goto-char beg)
  (unless (looking-at outline-regexp)
    (outline-next-visible-heading 1))
  (while (and (<= (point) end) (not (eobp)))
    (when (> (outline-level) level)
      (hide-subtree))
    (outline-next-visible-heading 1)))

(defun local-auto-fold ()
  (save-excursion
    (let ((point (point)))
      (beginning-of-buffer)
      (unless (looking-at outline-regexp)
	(outline-next-visible-heading 1))
      (while (not (eobp))
	(let ((end (save-excursion (outline-end-of-subtree) (point))))
	  (if (or (< end point) (> (point) point))
	      (local-fold-from-level (point) end (outline-level))
	    (outline-next-visible-heading 1)))))))

(defun local-auto-fold-all ()
  (save-excursion
    (dolist (buffer (buffer-list))
      (set-buffer buffer)
      (when (eq major-mode 'org-mode)
	(local-auto-fold)))))

(run-with-idle-timer 60 t 'local-auto-fold-all)
;--------------------

* Re: Autocollapse of outline nodes
@ 2006-04-24 16:08 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2006-04-24 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Monday 24 April 2006 14:15, Piotr Zielinski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here's a small piece of code that periodically collapses all org nodes
> (trees) which are far away (structurally) from the current cursor
> position.  The purpose is to automatically collapse nodes which you
> are no longer working on, thereby preventing uncontrolled growth of
> the visible size of your .org buffer as the day progresses.
>
> Please send your comments/suggestions, for example, whether this
> functionality has already been implemented elsewhere.  Should work
> with any outline buffer.

That's great !! Thank you.

Xavier

* Re: Autocollapse of outline nodes
@ 2006-04-26  9:20 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-04-26  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Piotr Zielinski; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 24, 2006, at 14:15, Piotr Zielinski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here's a small piece of code that periodically collapses all org nodes
> (trees) which are far away (structurally) from the current cursor
> position.  The purpose is to automatically collapse nodes which you
> are no longer working on, thereby preventing uncontrolled growth of
> the visible size of your .org buffer as the day progresses.

very interesting idea / piece of code.

One potential problem that I see is that (point) is a property of a
window.  Only if a buffer is shown in one or zero windows, then (point)
is unique after a set-buffer operation for this buffer and you can use
it to select which part not to hide.

So what might happen is that you can have two or more windows on a
buffer (in the same frame, or even on different frames), each looking
at a different section of the outline tree.  I often do this when
restructuring a file, while moving stuff from one place in a file to
another.  Your code would keep closing some of the visible outlines,
because it only considers (point) in a single window (I don't even know
which one if would actually use in this case, an interesting problem).
To solve this, you would need to check if a buffer is displayed in
several places, make a list of (point) in all these places, and then
check is any of the listed values of point fall in the outline subtree
you are about to close.

Finally, you are running it on an idle timer with 60 seconds of idle
time required.  I would be interesting how this works in pratice, and
if this is the best way to activate this code.  For now, I have not
tried it extensively and I don't know.

- Carsten

--
Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam

* Re: Autocollapse of outline nodes
@ 2006-04-26 12:44   ` Piotr Zielinski
From: Piotr Zielinski @ 2006-04-26 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten, thanks for your comments. I'll incorporate your suggestions
into the code as soon as I can.

Piotr

@ 2006-05-12  1:26   ` Piotr Zielinski
From: Piotr Zielinski @ 2006-05-12  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Below is a version of autocollapse that works correctly even if
several windows show the same buffer.  It periodically collapses
outline nodes that are far from the current point position [1].

Piotr

[1] http://zerotau.blogspot.com/2006/04/autocollapse-mode-for-emacs.html

(defun local-fold-from-level (beg end level)
  (hide-region-body beg end)
  (goto-char beg)
  (unless (looking-at outline-regexp)
    (outline-next-visible-heading 1))
  (while (and (<= (point) end) (not (eobp)))
    (when (> (outline-level) level)
      (hide-subtree))
    (outline-next-visible-heading 1)))

(defun local-contains-point (beg end pointlist)
  (let ((result))
    (dolist (point pointlist result)
      (setq result (or result (and (>= point beg) (<= point end)))))))

(defun local-auto-fold ()
  (save-excursion
    (let ((pointlist (mapcar 'window-point
			     (get-buffer-window-list (current-buffer) nil t))))
      (message "fold: %S: %S" (current-buffer) pointlist)
      (beginning-of-buffer)
      (unless (looking-at outline-regexp)
	(outline-next-visible-heading 1))
      (while (not (eobp))
	(let ((end (save-excursion (outline-end-of-subtree) (point))))
	  (if (local-contains-point (point) end pointlist)

@ 2006-05-12  4:35     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-05-12  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Piotr Zielinski; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Great.

I did no know about get-buffer-window-list, this makes it a lot easier.

- Carsten