* Org 8.3.1 HTML export options
@ 2015-08-06 21:47 Scott Randby
From: Scott Randby @ 2015-08-06 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email

HTML export in 8.3.1 no longer recognizes export options that are
contained under a headline.

My documents contain the following:

* COMMENT Setup
#+STARTUP: hidestars overview indent hideblocks
#+HTML_HEAD: <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="../lesson-style-new.css">
#+HTML_MATHJAX: path: "../../../MathJax/MathJax.js?config=TeX-AMS_HTML"
#+TITLE: Foo
#+AUTHOR: By Foo
#+EMAIL: foo@email.com

When I export to HTML, the link to the CSS style sheet is missing, the
page title is blank, sections are numbered, MathJax uses the default
settings, etc. None of the options I set are recognized (except for the
startup options).

When I move the options to the top of the document and delete the
headline, the options are exported properly.

#+STARTUP: hidestars overview indent hideblocks
#+HTML_HEAD: <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="../lesson-style-new.css">
#+HTML_MATHJAX: path: "../../../MathJax/MathJax.js?config=TeX-AMS_HTML"
#+TITLE: Foo
#+AUTHOR: By Foo
#+EMAIL: foo@email.com

The first setup works in 8.2.10, and it is what I want.

I want the options to be under a headline so that they are out of the
way when I work on a document, and so that I can more easily use them in
other documents by copying and pasting a subtree. Please fix this. I
would fix it, but I don't know elisp.

Scott Randby

* Re: Org 8.3.1 HTML export options
@ 2015-08-06 22:20 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-08-06 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Scott Randby <srandby@gmail.com> writes:

> * COMMENT Setup
> [...]
>
> When I export to HTML, the link to the CSS style sheet is missing, the
> page title is blank, sections are numbered, MathJax uses the default
> settings, etc. None of the options I set are recognized (except for the
> startup options).

This is a feature.  COMMENT corresponds to prefixing each line of the
headline with "#".

For your purpose I'd use a headline tagged with :noexport:, see
org-export-exclude-tags.

Hope it helps,
Rasmus

--
Slaa Patienten ihjel, saa siger Feberen Pas

* Re: Org 8.3.1 HTML export options
@ 2015-08-06 22:50   ` Scott Randby
From: Scott Randby @ 2015-08-06 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 08/06/2015 06:20 PM, Rasmus wrote:
> Scott Randby <srandby@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> * COMMENT Setup
>> [...]
>>
>> When I export to HTML, the link to the CSS style sheet is missing, the
>> page title is blank, sections are numbered, MathJax uses the default
>> settings, etc. None of the options I set are recognized (except for the
>> startup options).
>
> This is a feature.  COMMENT corresponds to prefixing each line of the
> headline with "#".
>
> For your purpose I'd use a headline tagged with :noexport:, see
> org-export-exclude-tags.

Thanks, that worked, but now I have to change the code on a huge number
of files. It is hard to consider something a feature when it breaks a
long accepted practice. It certainly isn't a good feature in my view. In
fact, it is a terrible feature. I started doing it using the COMMENT
headline for options because I'd seen it done by many other people.

Scott Randby

@ 2015-08-16 13:24     ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2015-08-16 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Randby; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Scott,

Scott Randby <srandby@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks, that worked, but now I have to change the code on a huge
> number of files. It is hard to consider something a feature when it
> breaks a long accepted practice. It certainly isn't a good feature in
> my view. In fact, it is a terrible feature. I started doing it using
> the COMMENT headline for options because I'd seen it done by many
> other people.

My bad, I forgot to clearly document this change when releasing 8.3.1.

This is now documented in etc/ORG-NEWS -- I'll update the website
changelogs when releasing 8.3.2.

As for the change itself, I cannot find the discussion about it on the
mailing list, if someone finds a pointer, thanks.

Let's experiment how "bad" this change is for you and others for the
next few weeks and see if the pain is just the effect of getting used
to it or if it is really bad.  It is not set in stone.

 Bastien

* Re: Org 8.3.1 HTML export options
@ 2015-08-16 14:08       ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-08-16 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

AFAIR http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/96267/

--
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi che leggete questo.

* Re: Org 8.3.1 HTML export options
@ 2015-08-16 14:15         ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2015-08-16 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> Bastien Guerry <bzg@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> As for the change itself, I cannot find the discussion about it on the
>> mailing list, if someone finds a pointer, thanks.
>
> AFAIR http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/96267/

Thanks!

--
 Bastien