* Org-mode documentation within Emacs
@ 2013-04-23 14:04 Karl Voit
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Karl Voit @ 2013-04-23 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

I am using Org-mode documentation from the HTML web page all the
time.

I once got a tipp that the Org-mode documentation can be found
within Emacs. Back then, it worked and I could navigate through Org
docu with n/p. However, I never used this method afterwards.

The repository[1] does contain the doc-directory. I compiled the whole
Org-mode repos including the doc sub-tree. So no compile error while
the docu is generated.

"C-h i" was my first guess but it does not list Org-mode at all :-(

Other options of "C-h" did not reveal the Org-mode documentation as
well.

So, where should I get the Org-mode manual within Emacs?

If it's C-h i: why does my Emacs ignore the Org-mode docu?

I've got the strange feeling that the answer is quite simple and
that I will feel embarrassed about my error ... :-)

  1. I am using the git version.
--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github

* Re: Org-mode documentation within Emacs
@ 2013-04-23 14:28 ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2013-04-23 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: news1142; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Karl Voit writes:

> The repository[1] does contain the doc-directory. I compiled the whole
> Org-mode repos including the doc sub-tree. So no compile error while
> the docu is generated.
>
> "C-h i" was my first guess but it does not list Org-mode at all :-(

This is what I have in my configuration files:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(add-to-list 'Info-directory-list "/Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/org/info")
#+END_SRC

This directory is where org install its info file.  An alternative
option is to do "C-u C-h i" and give the file path directly, but it's
clearly less convenient.

Alan.

* Re: Org-mode documentation within Emacs
@ 2013-04-23 15:03   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-04-23 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Alan,

Alan Schmitt wrote:
> Karl Voit writes:
>
>> The repository[1] does contain the doc-directory. I compiled the whole
>> Org-mode repos including the doc sub-tree. So no compile error while
>> the docu is generated.
>>
>> "C-h i" was my first guess but it does not list Org-mode at all :-(
>
> This is what I have in my configuration files:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> (add-to-list 'Info-directory-list "/Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/org/info")
> #+END_SRC

Don't play with `Info-directory-list', it's not intended to be settable by the
user. Set the `Info-default-directory-list' variable instead.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Org-mode documentation within Emacs
@ 2013-04-23 15:14     ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2013-04-23 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Sebastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> wrote:

> Alan Schmitt wrote:
>> Karl Voit writes:
>>
>>> The repository[1] does contain the doc-directory. I compiled the whole
>>> Org-mode repos including the doc sub-tree. So no compile error while
>>> the docu is generated.
>>>
>>> "C-h i" was my first guess but it does not list Org-mode at all :-(
>>
>> This is what I have in my configuration files:
>>
>> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>> (add-to-list 'Info-directory-list "/Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/org/info")
>> #+END_SRC
>
> Don't play with `Info-directory-list', it's not intended to be settable by the
> user. Set the `Info-default-directory-list' variable instead.

Hm.

My Org-mode directory does no contain any directory or file named
"info". I tried with the "doc" directory instead with no success.

I manually compiled "make doc" and the "make info". The latter had
following output:

,----
| vk@gary ~/.emacs.d/contrib/org-mode (git)-[master] % make info
| make -C doc info
| make[1]: Entering directory `/home/vk/hosts/all/config/emacs.d/contrib/org-mode/doc'
| make[1]: Nothing to be done for `info'.
| make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/vk/hosts/all/config/emacs.d/contrib/org-mode/doc'
| vk@gary ~/.emacs.d/contrib/org-mode (git)-[master] %
`----

Is there something wrong with my repos?

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github

* Re: Org-mode documentation within Emacs
@ 2013-04-23 15:23     ` Alan Schmitt
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2013-04-23 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sebastien Vauban writes:

> Hi Alan,
>
> Alan Schmitt wrote:
>> Karl Voit writes:
>>
>>> The repository[1] does contain the doc-directory. I compiled the whole
>>> Org-mode repos including the doc sub-tree. So no compile error while
>>> the docu is generated.
>>>
>>> "C-h i" was my first guess but it does not list Org-mode at all :-(
>>
>> This is what I have in my configuration files:
>>
>> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>> (add-to-list 'Info-directory-list "/Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/org/info")
>> #+END_SRC
>
> Don't play with `Info-directory-list', it's not intended to be settable by the
> user. Set the `Info-default-directory-list' variable instead.

I just tried it, and now I no longer have org in my info directory. Here
is the value of Info-default-directory-list

("/Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/org/info" "/usr/local/Cellar/emacs-mac/emacs-24.3-mac-4.1/share/info/emacs/" "/usr/share/info/")

and here is the value of Info-directory-list

("/Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-11.86" "/usr/share/info/")

As it's the latter that is used to find the info files, it means that it
won't find org. It seems that it is initialized before my initialization
file can add the directory to the default value. (I'm using the startup
kit, if it makes a difference.)

I just read the help on "Info-directory-list", and it does not say I
should not set it. Why is it bad? And how should I make emacs pick up
the value from default?

Thanks,

Alan

* Re: Org-mode documentation within Emacs
@ 2013-04-23 15:24   ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2013-04-23 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> Karl Voit writes:

>> "C-h i" was my first guess but it does not list Org-mode at all :-(

> This is what I have in my configuration files:

> (add-to-list 'Info-directory-list "/Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/org/info")

Hi, Org people.

Just in case useful, I added a command to Emacs just for listing the Org
manual.  Easy for me to remember: "om" == "Org manual".  Here is my
little code, adapt to taste!

(defvar fp-org-distribution "~/emacs/_/org-mode")

; [...]

(defun fp-org-info ()
  (interactive)
  (require 'info)
  (let ((Info-directory-list (cons (concat fp-org-distribution "/doc")
                                   Info-directory-list)))
    (org-info)))

; [...]

(global-set-key "\C-com" 'fp-org-info)

François

* Re: Org-mode documentation within Emacs
@ 2013-04-23 15:58       ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2013-04-23 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> Sebastien Vauban writes:
>
>> Hi Alan,
>> Alan Schmitt wrote:

>>> This is what I have in my configuration files:
>>> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp (add-to-list 'Info-directory-list
>>> "/Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/org/info") #+END_SRC
>> Don't play with `Info-directory-list', it's not intended to be
>> settable by the user. Set the `Info-default-directory-list' variable
>> instead.
>
> I just tried it, and now I no longer have org in my info
> directory. Here is the value of Info-default-directory-list
>
> ("/Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/org/info"
> "/usr/local/Cellar/emacs-mac/emacs-24.3-mac-4.1/share/info/emacs/"
> "/usr/share/info/")
>
> and here is the value of Info-directory-list
>
> ("/Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-11.86" "/usr/share/info/")
>
> As it's the latter that is used to find the info files, it means that
> it won't find org. It seems that it is initialized before my
> initialization file can add the directory to the default value. (I'm
> using the startup kit, if it makes a difference.)
>
> I just read the help on "Info-directory-list", and it does not say I
> should not set it. Why is it bad? And how should I make emacs pick up
> the value from default?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan

Hi Alan,

This is how I do it.

1. Compile the .texi source
     i.e. makeinfo org.texi

(You should find org.texi in the doc directory)

That will result in a file simply called "org"

2. Put it into the right directory - can be  /home/glyn/info
3. Use install-info to edit file

   ie - in ~/info

   install-info org dir

   where dir is the local info header file :-)

I also have this in my init.el

(setq Info-default-directory-list (cons "/home/glyn/info/" Info-default-directory-list))

Then it should appear in Emacs' info-reader

atb

Glyn

* Re: Org-mode documentation within Emacs
@ 2013-04-23 16:37 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-04-23 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Karl,

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 04:04:31PM +0200, Karl Voit wrote:

> I am using Org-mode documentation from the HTML web page all the
> time.
>
> I once got a tipp that the Org-mode documentation can be found
> within Emacs. Back then, it worked and I could navigate through Org
> docu with n/p. However, I never used this method afterwards.

When in doubt Worg is your friend.

<http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#update-info-manual-to-latest>

Cheers,

--
Suvayu

* Re: Org-mode documentation within Emacs
@ 2013-04-23 17:23 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-04-23 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Karl Voit writes:
> "C-h i" was my first guess but it does not list Org-mode at all :-(

C-u C-h i

But really,

make install-info

shouldn't be so hard to issue?

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Org-mode documentation within Emacs
@ 2013-04-23 17:32         ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2013-04-23 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: glyn.millington; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Glyn,

Glyn Millington writes:

> Hi Alan,
>
> This is how I do it.

[...]

> I also have this in my init.el
>
> (setq Info-default-directory-list (cons "/home/glyn/info/" Info-default-directory-list))
>
> Then it should appear in Emacs' info-reader

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll try moving the setting out of the
starter kit and into my init.el file, the initialization order may be
important here.

Alan

* Re: Org-mode documentation within Emacs
@ 2013-04-23 19:34       ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-04-23 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Alan,

Alan Schmitt wrote:
> Sebastien Vauban writes:
>> Alan Schmitt wrote:
>>
>>> This is what I have in my configuration files:
>>>
>>> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>>> (add-to-list 'Info-directory-list "/Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/org/info")
>>> #+END_SRC
>>
>> Don't play with `Info-directory-list', it's not intended to be settable by the
>> user. Set the `Info-default-directory-list' variable instead.
>
> I just read the help on "Info-directory-list", and it does not say I
> should not set it. Why is it bad? And how should I make emacs pick up
> the value from default?

See http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2004-10/msg00331.html

  ╭────
  │ From:  Eli Zaretskii
  │ Subject:  Re: Info directory
  │ Date:  Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:50:02 +0200
  │
  │ > From: Philip Clark <address@hidden>
  │ > Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:41:17 +0100
  │ >
  │ >
  │ > Does anyone know how to set up multiple Info directory locations? I want
  │ > to keep all the system info files, but also include my own for other
  │ > packages I add in my home directory.
  │
  │ The canonical way to do that is to set the environment variable
  │ INFOPATH outside of Emacs, in the same shell from which you invoke
  │ Emacs.  INFOPATH's value should be a list of Info directories in the
  │ same format as the PATH variable on your system.
  │
  │ > I've tried:
  │ >
  │ > (require 'info)
  │ > (setq Info-directory-list (append '("~/src/gnus/texi") Info-directory-list))
  │
  │ Don't play with Info-directory-list, it's not intended to be settable
  │ by the user.
  ╰────

From Eli, that is a safe reference source...

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Org-mode documentation within Emacs
@ 2013-04-23 22:19   ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2013-04-23 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

If I remember, m-x org-info ought to do something.
On Tue, 23 Apr 2013,
Suvayu Ali wrote:

> Hi Karl,
>
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 04:04:31PM +0200, Karl Voit wrote:
> >
> > I am using Org-mode documentation from the HTML web page all the
> > time.
> >
> > I once got a tipp that the Org-mode documentation can be found
> > within Emacs. Back then, it worked and I could navigate through Org
> > docu with n/p. However, I never used this method afterwards.
>
> When in doubt Worg is your friend.
>
> <http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#update-info-manual-to-latest>
>
> Cheers,

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
Microsoft, windows is accessible. why do blind people need screen readers?

* Re: Org-mode documentation within Emacs
@ 2013-04-24  6:43   ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2013-04-24  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Am 23.04.2013 19:23, schrieb Achim Gratz:
> Karl Voit writes:
>> "C-h i" was my first guess but it does not list Org-mode at all :-(
>
> C-u C-h i
>
> But really,
>
> make install-info
>
> shouldn't be so hard to issue?
>

> Regards,
> Achim.

Achim,

I update (git) and compile org inside of cygwin.
That means the info file will be installed in the cygwin tree.
But I do use the Windows port of Emacs, not the cygwin port.
Why? Working under cygwin is much more convenient than under Windows CMD.
How in the Makefile can I set the info install destination to the info folder of the Windows Emacs installation?

Thanks,
Rainer

* Re: Org-mode documentation within Emacs
@ 2013-04-24  7:51       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-04-24  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: Sebastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> Sebastien Vauban writes:
>
>> Don't play with `Info-directory-list', it's not intended to be settable by the
>> user. Set the `Info-default-directory-list' variable instead.
>
> I just tried it, and now I no longer have org in my info directory. Here
> is the value of Info-default-directory-list
>
> ("/Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/org/info"
> "/usr/local/Cellar/emacs-mac/emacs-24.3-mac-4.1/share/info/emacs/"
> "/usr/share/info/")
>
> and here is the value of Info-directory-list
>
> ("/Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-11.86" "/usr/share/info/")
>
> As it's the latter that is used to find the info files, it means that it
> won't find org. It seems that it is initialized before my initialization
> file can add the directory to the default value. (I'm using the startup
> kit, if it makes a difference.)
>
> I just read the help on "Info-directory-list", and it does not say I
> should not set it. Why is it bad? And how should I make emacs pick up
> the value from default?

I have

:    (add-to-list 'Info-directory-list "~/git/org-mode/doc/")

in my emacs customisation and have had for a very long time.  I've
always modified Info-directory-list and have never had a problem.  YMMV,
of course.

However, the documentation (in emacs 24.3.50 as that's what I am using
on this laptop...) for Info-default-directory-list says:

,----
| Although this is a customizable variable, that is mainly for technical
| reasons.  Normally, you should either set INFOPATH or customize
| `Info-additional-directory-list', rather than changing this variable.
`----

so maybe set the Info-additional-directory-list variable?  I've not
tried this.

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org release_7.9.3f-1199-g3a0e55

* Re: Org-mode documentation within Emacs
@ 2013-04-24  9:40         ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2013-04-24  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sebastien,

Sebastien Vauban writes:

> See http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2004-10/msg00331.html

I finally managed to make it work using INFOPATH, which is quite painful
to do under OS X. I really don't understand why there isn't a way to do
this from inside emacs configuration files (I tried the
Info-additional-directory-list but it did not work).

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction,

Alan

* Re: Org-mode documentation within Emacs
@ 2013-04-24 10:19         ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-04-24 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Alan Schmitt

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 08:51:24AM +0100, Eric S Fraga wrote:

[...chomp...chomp...chomp...]

> However, the documentation (in emacs 24.3.50 as that's what I am using
> on this laptop...) for Info-default-directory-list says:
>
> ,----
> | Although this is a customizable variable, that is mainly for technical
> | reasons.  Normally, you should either set INFOPATH or customize
> | `Info-additional-directory-list', rather than changing this variable.
> `----
>
> so maybe set the Info-additional-directory-list variable?  I've not
> tried this.

This is one of recommended ways and documented in this Worg entry.

@ 2013-04-24 12:21       ` Nicolas Richard
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2013-04-24 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
> Is there something wrong with my repos?

I don't think so : there should be a file named 'dir' in the doc/
directory which contains a reference to the correct info file (called
org, built from org.texi I guess).

--
N.

* Re: Org-mode documentation within Emacs
@ 2013-04-24 13:43           ` Xiao-Yong Jin
From: Xiao-Yong Jin @ 2013-04-24 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: Sebastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

On Apr 24, 2013, at 6:40 PM, Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> wrote:

> Hi Sebastien,
>
> Sebastien Vauban writes:
>
>> See http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2004-10/msg00331.html
>
> I finally managed to make it work using INFOPATH, which is quite painful
> to do under OS X. I really don't understand why there isn't a way to do
> this from inside emacs configuration files (I tried the
> Info-additional-directory-list but it did not work).

I guess you changed the plist of Emacs.app?  That's not really required.  How do you install your emacs?

On my machine, with Emacs.app compiled from bzr source, start it with

$ sh -c "unset INFOPATH && Emacs -Q"

In the scratch buffer,

(getenv "INFOPATH")
nil

(add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list "~/.emacs.d/org-mode/doc")
("~/.emacs.d/org-mode/doc" "/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/info/" "/usr/share/info/")

(info)
nil

Info-directory-list
("~/.emacs.d/org-mode/doc" "/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/info/" "/usr/share/info/")

So the only thing I need to do is changing `Info-default-directory-list' in my ~/.emacs

You might want to check the above procedure and see what you get.

@ 2013-04-24 14:34             ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2013-04-24 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xiao-Yong Jin; +Cc: Sebastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

Xiao-Yong Jin writes:

> I guess you changed the plist of Emacs.app?

No, I set /etc/launchd.conf (and I also set the INFOPATH in my .zshrc).

> That's not really required.  How do you install your emacs?

Homebrew, using this version:
https://github.com/railwaycat/emacs-mac-port

> On my machine, with Emacs.app compiled from bzr source, start it with
>
> $ sh -c "unset INFOPATH && Emacs -Q"
>
> In the scratch buffer,
>
> (getenv "INFOPATH")
> nil
>
> (add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list "~/.emacs.d/org-mode/doc")
> ("~/.emacs.d/org-mode/doc" "/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/info/" "/usr/share/info/")
>
> (info)
> nil
>
> Info-directory-list
> ("~/.emacs.d/org-mode/doc" "/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/info/" "/usr/share/info/")
>
> So the only thing I need to do is changing `Info-default-directory-list' in my ~/.emacs
>
> You might want to check the above procedure and see what you get.

As "/usr/share/info" is in the default path, which contains the files
for the old emacs that ships with OS X, I cannot use
`Info-default-directory-list': the newer info files for org mode would
be shadowed. So I need to set INFOPATH to something (or unset it) in any
case.

Alan

* Re: Org-mode documentation within Emacs
@ 2013-04-24 17:59     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-04-24 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rainer Stengele writes:
> I update (git) and compile org inside of cygwin.

So do I.

> That means the info file will be installed in the cygwin tree.

No it won't if you configure local.mk accordingly.

http://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-build-system.html#sec-4-1-5

> Why? Working under cygwin is much more convenient than under Windows
> CMD.

Try emacs-w32 some time.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Org-mode documentation within Emacs
@ 2013-04-25  5:35           ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-04-25  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> Hi Glyn,
>
> Glyn Millington writes:
>
>> Hi Alan,
>>
>> This is how I do it.
>
> [...]
>
>> I also have this in my init.el
>>
>> (setq Info-default-directory-list (cons "/home/glyn/info/" Info-default-directory-list))
>>
>> Then it should appear in Emacs' info-reader
>
> Thank you for the suggestion. I'll try moving the setting out of the
> starter kit and into my init.el file, the initialization order may be
> important here.
>
> Alan

This is how I do it as well (albeit with `add-to-list', same
difference), and it works fine.

Actually I have one dir: ~/.emacs.d/info, where I symlink all the info
files for bleeding-edge packages. Then I use `install-info
$infofile.info DIR' to create an entry for that file in the master info
directory, then the add-to-list invocation above.

HTH