From: "Christopher W. Ryan" <cryan@binghamton.edu>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: how do scientists use org mode?
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 23:25:27 -0500	[thread overview]

Thanks everyone for the advice and ideas. I see lots of potential, and
also lots to learn.

I made my first attempt at an R code block in an Org file. I'm running
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. Synaptic tells me that I have emacs 23.1+1-4ubuntu7.2,
and Org 6.34c-1.

I added this to my .emacs:

;; active Babel languages
(org-babel-do-load-languages
  'org-babel-load-languages
  '((R . t)
    ))

Here is the source block:

#+begin_src R
getwd()
dd <- read.csv("cars.csv", sep=",", header=TRUE)
head(dd)
str(dd)
dd$date <- as.Date(as.character(dd$Date), format="%d-%b-%y")
names(dd)[4] <- "city"
table(is.na(dd$date))
min(dd$date, na.rm=TRUE); max(dd$date, na.rm=TRUE)
#+end_src

emacs seems to do the syntax highlighting properly, so I guess it is
recognizing this as a code block.

When I put point inside the block and type C-c C-c, emacs gives me this
message:

C-c C-c can do nothing useful at this location.

I wonder if I have Babel? Is it "built in" to the emacs or Org versions
that I have?

Thanks.

--Chris Ryan