From: Tomas Grigera <tgrigera@gmail.com>
To: John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com>
Cc: GMX Christoph 13 <christoph-13@gmx.net>, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: how do scientists use org mode?
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 14:39:38 -0300	[thread overview]

Hi Cristoph

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 15:27, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 3:21 PM, GMX Christoph 13 <christoph-13@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Hi
>> this is my first post here and although I am evaluating org mode with great interest, I am also asking myself in which way other scientists are making use of org mode. It will take a while to get my head around how to accomplish certain things in org mode but for the moment I am intrigued by *why* one would want to approach the problem of organizing one's research with org mode and in which way.
>
> [...]

Thomas, Eric and John gave very useful answers, I just want to add my
$0.02 as a physicist who recently (about a year ago) started using Org
mode.  I started mainly looking for a workflow organization system,
but slowly discovered it has many other possibilities. For research, I
find org-babel is a great tool. It allows you to have a document
collecting together thoughts and discussion along with data, data
analysis, scripts for data manipulations and plots (Org tables are
actually more like a spreadsheet since Org supports quite complex
formulas and even plotting directly from the table).  The many export
possibilities mean that you can share your notes with colleagues not
using Org (or even Emacs).

I have also discovered it is a great tool for drafting presentations
and then actually producing your slides via Latex- Beamer export.

HTH,

Tomas