* foot note / enumeration question
@ 2011-07-01 20:37 Robert Klein
From: Robert Klein @ 2011-07-01 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Hi group,

A file of

#+begin_example
* Title

This is a text [fn:: the
1. footnote] with a footnote.
#+end_example

begins an enumeration inside the footenote and then
forgets to close the footnote (which in LaTeX export
gets closed at the next \section or so).

I'm not sure what the expected behavior should be -- I'd
obviously prefer no enumerations in footnotes :)  Is there
a way to specify this in the header, e.g.
enum-in-footnotes: nil or similar?   Just thinking when
someone pute literary references in footnotes this could
be useful (e.g.: [fn:: My fun. pp. 3-5, 12. edition, O'Really,
1996. London, New York...] )

Best regards and thanks for any comments
Robert

* Re: foot note / enumeration question
@ 2011-07-02  8:10 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2011-07-02  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Klein; +Cc: Org Mode List

Hello,

Robert Klein <RoKlein@roklein.de> writes:

> A file of
>
> #+begin_example
> * Title
>
> This is a text [fn:: the
> 1. footnote] with a footnote.
> #+end_example
>
> begins an enumeration inside the footenote and then
> forgets to close the footnote (which in LaTeX export
> gets closed at the next \section or so).
>
> I'm not sure what the expected behavior should be -- I'd
> obviously prefer no enumerations in footnotes :)  Is there
> a way to specify this in the header, e.g.
> enum-in-footnotes: nil or similar?   Just thinking when
> someone pute literary references in footnotes this could
> be useful (e.g.: [fn:: My fun. pp. 3-5, 12. edition, O'Really,
> 1996. London, New York...] )

This confusing case shouldn't happen, unless the user somehow does it on
purpose. Indeed, Org prevents auto-filling to break a line where it
would create a new list item.

This looks to me as a false problem ; I don't think we should write some
workaround for it.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: foot note / enumeration question
@ 2011-07-03  7:46   ` Robert Klein
From: Robert Klein @ 2011-07-03  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Hi,

On 07/02/2011 10:10 AM, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Robert Klein<RoKlein@roklein.de>  writes:
>
>> A file of
>>
>> #+begin_example
>> * Title
>>
>> This is a text [fn:: the
>> 1. footnote] with a footnote.
>> #+end_example
>>
>> begins an enumeration inside the footenote and then
>> forgets to close the footnote (which in LaTeX export
>> gets closed at the next \section or so).
>>
>> I'm not sure what the expected behavior should be -- I'd
>> obviously prefer no enumerations in footnotes :)  Is there
>> a way to specify this in the header, e.g.
>> enum-in-footnotes: nil or similar?   Just thinking when
>> someone pute literary references in footnotes this could
>> be useful (e.g.: [fn:: My fun. pp. 3-5, 12. edition, O'Really,
>> 1996. London, New York...] )
> This confusing case shouldn't happen, unless the user somehow does it on
> purpose. Indeed, Org prevents auto-filling to break a line where it
> would create a new list item.
>
> This looks to me as a false problem ; I don't think we should write some
> workaround for it.
>
> Regards,

Thanks for your help.  I figured out now,  there's a special case I
triggered:

It is due to the closing square bracket right after "29."

My minimal .emacs file only loads org-mode:

#+begin_example
(setq load-path (cons "~/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp" load-path))
#+end_example

and my test file is:
#+begin_example
* Title

Alpha gamma, phi beta epsilon phi gamma, psi iota omega, phi mu beta
lambda kappa sigma zeta theta eta, phi psi iota chi gamma[fn:: Eta. 1,
29.]. Alpha gamma
#+end_example

When I press Alt-q to reformat the paragraph nothing happens.

When I delete the last line and continue after the "[fn::Eta 1," with
" 29.]. Alpha" Emacs breaks the line after I type the blank before "Alpha",
so the new line begins with:

#+begin_example
.29].
#end_example

Now, when I put a blank after the "29" and before the closing
square bracket it works.

So, that's it. I'm going to put spaces between the dots and
closing brackets now.

Again, thanks for your help and pointing me to the right place.

Best regards
Robert