* IMPORTANT: let's make the biggest gift of FLOSS history!
@ 2011-02-03 15:15 Bastien
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-03 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

as you know, some of us will meet this saturday at FOSDEM.
It will be great to meet IRL, to discuss Org past, present
and future -- I really can't wait for that!

Everyone on this list already contributes with code, patches,
feedback, tests, ideas and... patience with the new maintainer.
And I guess Everyone at FOSDEM will express his gratitude to
Carsten for all the work he did and continues doing.

But... what about expressing this gratitude as a *GIFT*?

What about taking 10 minutes of your time and make a donation?

*Every donation* made from now until sunday evening will go to
Carsten.  Please go to http://orgmode.org and say thanks :)

Let's show the FOSDEM crowd that fun & fame are not the only
rewards that such an effort deserves :)

Thanks!!

--
 Bastien

* Re: IMPORTANT: let's make the biggest gift of FLOSS history!
@ 2011-02-04  2:11 ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2011-02-04  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dear Bastien,

you might consider to add a Flattr account for org-mode too.
As far as I understood Flattr is a micorpayment system on a monthly
base. People donate a monthly sum and this will be shared by the
projects they marked (by click on a clever placed icon) over a month
period. I believe this heavily lower the resistance to place a donation,
people think "Since I spend the money every month why not donating to
org-mode", which is quite different to "Ohh paypal, I need to pull out
my credit card and enter all my credentials, wait is it save, wait
should I do it now, wait will my spouse punish me for throwing out money
again for my crazy interests" ;)

I guess the idea is to place those icons at places where people just got
very happy about org-mode... maybe the manual section, or Worg, video
tutorial page, etc.

http://flattr.com/

All the best

Totti

@ 2011-02-04  4:43   ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-02-04  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear Bastien,
>
> you might consider to add a Flattr account for org-mode too.  As far
> as I understood Flattr is a micorpayment system on a monthly
> base. People donate a monthly sum and this will be shared by the
> projects they marked (by click on a clever placed icon) over a month
> period.

The argument against it would be that it `reduces' the amount. Consider
the case of micro-donors ...

When one exchanges gifts one is obliged to consider how the gift would
be perceived by the other party. If the exchange is between individuals
(as opposed to between an individual and an impersonal organization) the
above argument cannot be set aside.

> I believe this heavily lower the resistance to place a
> donation, people think "Since I spend the money every month why not
> donating to org-mode", which is quite different to "Ohh paypal, I need
> to pull out my credit card and enter all my credentials, wait is it
> save, wait should I do it now, wait will my spouse punish me for
> throwing out money again for my crazy interests" ;)

There could be donors who wouldn't want to own a Credit Card ... For
such donors PayPal is too burdensome. Plain Old postal system trumps for
such donors. Postal addresses (real or virtual mailboxes) should be made
accessible to the community. Having a mailbox could be cumbersome for
`non-enterprisey' projects that are led by individuals. In this case,
FSF can act as an organisational intermediary aggregating and channeling
the donations to projects based on donor's discretion. (I don't know
whether they do so already)

> I guess the idea is to place those icons at places where people just
> got very happy about org-mode... maybe the manual section, or Worg,
> video tutorial page, etc.

IMHO, the landing page is the right place for it. Burying it too deep
would `smell' (whatever that means).

You seem to think that `contributions' to Free Software Projects are
likely to be impulsive decisions as opposed to well-considered ones
... I hesitate to buy this argument.

Jambunathan K.

> http://flattr.com/
>
> All the best
>
> Totti
>

> On 02/04/2011 12:15 AM, Bastien wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> as you know, some of us will meet this saturday at FOSDEM.
>> It will be great to meet IRL, to discuss Org past, present
>> and future -- I really can't wait for that!
>>
>> Everyone on this list already contributes with code, patches,
>> feedback, tests, ideas and... patience with the new maintainer.
>> And I guess Everyone at FOSDEM will express his gratitude to
>> Carsten for all the work he did and continues doing.
>>
>> But... what about expressing this gratitude as a *GIFT*?
>>
>> What about taking 10 minutes of your time and make a donation?
>>
>> *Every donation* made from now until sunday evening will go to
>> Carsten.  Please go to http://orgmode.org and say thanks :)
>>
>> Let's show the FOSDEM crowd that fun&  fame are not the only
>> rewards that such an effort deserves :)
>>
>> Thanks!!

* Re: Re: IMPORTANT: let's make the biggest gift of FLOSS history!
@ 2011-02-04  5:38     ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2011-02-04  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> The argument against it would be that it `reduces' the amount. Consider
> the case of micro-donors ...

Well it seems the flattr people take 10%. Guess this is still fair and
well documented on there website, they provide a certain service which
cost money. Paypal and other payments methods charge too.

> There could be donors who wouldn't want to own a Credit Card ... For
> such donors PayPal is too burdensome. Plain Old postal system trumps for
> such donors. Postal addresses (real or virtual mailboxes) should be made
> accessible to the community. Having a mailbox could be cumbersome for
> `non-enterprisey' projects that are led by individuals. In this case,
> FSF can act as an organisational intermediary aggregating and channeling
> the donations to projects based on donor's discretion. (I don't know
> whether they do so already)

Well postal address might be fine too. Instead of a Paypal link, a
general donation icon could guide people to a page with different
offers, form which they can select, Paypal, Flattr, Post,
I just think giving people as much offers as possible might lower the
resistance to place a donation.

>> I guess the idea is to place those icons at places where people just
>> got very happy about org-mode... maybe the manual section, or Worg,
>> video tutorial page, etc.
> IMHO, the landing page is the right place for it. Burying it too deep
> would `smell' (whatever that means).

Yes landing page might be good. However, some pages have heavy traffic
because of popularity other are real "pain-relievers" which might make
people consider to place a donation. But I agree there is a thin line
between making a careful request for donation and being fishy somehow.

> You seem to think that `contributions' to Free Software Projects are
> likely to be impulsive decisions as opposed to well-considered ones
> ... I hesitate to buy this argument.

Well I would not say it is impulsive. Its more about the 	 "inhibition
threshold" to place a donation, or if you like the "laziness threshold".
If I first have to register a paypal account, attach my credit card
credentials, which if I remember correctly take some time to being
verified and finally place a donation, I might simply think "Lets do it
another time...." and this I think over and over again until my
gratitude become that big that I go through all these above steps to
place a donation. Clicking on a icon to place a donation is much easier
and hence lets people quickly (and esp. in case of flattr repeatable)
donate. Downloading a pdf which prints on an envelope the postal
address, to send a donation via post might be easier for other people
(e.g., because they have no credit card)... Guess it is just the point
that it might be worse to offer more options which help people to
overcome there individual "inhibition threshold".

All the best

Totti

* Re: IMPORTANT: let's make the biggest gift of FLOSS history!
@ 2011-02-04  5:43       ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-02-04  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner@gmail.com> writes:

>> The argument against it would be that it `reduces' the amount. Consider
>> the case of micro-donors ...
>
> Well it seems the flattr people take 10%. Guess this is still fair and
> well documented on there website, they provide a certain service which
> cost money. Paypal and other payments methods charge too.

What I meant in my original comment was that spreading a micro-donation
over a 12-month would it make a nano-donation :-).

Jambunathan K.

* Re: IMPORTANT: let's make the biggest gift of FLOSS history!
@ 2011-02-06 13:13 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-06 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi folks,

Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> writes:

> *Every donation* made from now until sunday evening will go to
> Carsten.  Please go to http://orgmode.org and say thanks :)

thanks to all the people who donated so far!

There are *10 hours left* for donations to be directed to Carsten.

Thanks again :)

--
 Bastien

* Warm thanks! (was: IMPORTANT: let's make the biggest gift of FLOSS history!)
@ 2011-02-07  0:07 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-07  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Carsten Dominik

Dear Carsten,

more than 20 generous Orgers gathered 517€ as a gift for Org.

I didn't check, but I guess we're not far from the "biggest
gift in FLOSS history" :)

Thanks to everyone!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Warm thanks! (was: IMPORTANT: let's make the biggest gift of FLOSS history!)
@ 2011-02-07 13:46   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-02-07 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

On Feb 7, 2011, at 1:07 AM, Bastien wrote:

> Dear Carsten,
>
> more than 20 generous Orgers gathered 517€ as a gift for Org.

You've got to be kidding me.  Wow.  You guys (any girls?) are
great, thanks so much.  Now I will thing of something really nice
to do with this.

> I didn't check, but I guess we're not far from the "biggest
> gift in FLOSS history" :)

It must be.

> Thanks to everyone!

An to you!

- Carsten

@ 2011-02-07 14:46   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-07 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Wagner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi folks,

I've been aware of Flattr since it was out.  After careful thinking, I
placed a flattr button on Org's landing page, near the paypal button:

  http://orgmode.org

The nice thing about flattr is that it's more than a "donation" button,
it's also an ecology of projects helping each others.  Depending on the
amounts collected there, maybe Org-mode's community can take ownership
on this flattr account and decide what projects she wants to help.

For example, let's say that we've been flattr'ed by people active in
taskwarrior and in taskjuggler, then we could decide to flattr them
back.

Let's see how it goes!

--

@ 2011-02-07 18:13     ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2011-02-07 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I don't see the Flattr button. Maybe I have to wait for the next publishing?

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 9:46 AM, Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've been aware of Flattr since it was out.  After careful thinking, I
> placed a flattr button on Org's landing page, near the paypal button:
>
>  http://orgmode.org
>
> The nice thing about flattr is that it's more than a "donation" button,
> it's also an ecology of projects helping each others.  Depending on the
> amounts collected there, maybe Org-mode's community can take ownership
> on this flattr account and decide what projects she wants to help.
>
> For example, let's say that we've been flattr'ed by people active in
> taskwarrior and in taskjuggler, then we could decide to flattr them
> back.
>
> Let's see how it goes!
>
> --
>  Bastien

Jeffrey Horn
http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/

* Re: IMPORTANT: let's make the biggest gift of FLOSS history!
@ 2011-02-07 23:21       ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-02-07 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Bastien

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 10:13 AM, Jeff Horn <jrhorn424@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't see the Flattr button. Maybe I have to wait for the next publishing?

I can see it, so maybe all you need is a forced refresh? ("C-S-r" for firefox)

--
Suvayu

* Re: IMPORTANT: let's make the biggest gift of FLOSS history!
@ 2011-02-07 23:31         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-07 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: suvayu ali; +Cc: Jeff Horn, emacs-orgmode

suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 10:13 AM, Jeff Horn <jrhorn424@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't see the Flattr button. Maybe I have to wait for the next
>> publishing?
>
> I can see it, so maybe all you need is a forced refresh? ("C-S-r" for
> firefox)

Yes it's there -- just under the donation button.

And yes, orgmode.org needs a design refresh...  :)

--

@ 2011-02-08  0:22           ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2011-02-08  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Great! Looks like I was the first. Consider yourself flattr'd.

--

@ 2011-02-08 15:44             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-08 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jeff Horn <jrhorn424@gmail.com> writes:

> Great! Looks like I was the first. Consider yourself flattr'd.

I do, thanks a lot!

--
 Bastien