* Synchronize files among computers via MobileOrg, and create tasks from iPhones?
@ 2010-12-01 19:26 Jing Su
From: Jing Su @ 2010-12-01 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

Just curious that if we could push to the MobileOrg server, e.g., DropBox,
from a computer, and pull it down from another computer, so that we can
synchronize org files on different computers via MobileOrg. I used to use
CVS for synchronizing, but now SSHing in and out are blocked at my working
places, so I can no longer synchronize files between home computers and work
computers via ssh+cvs. Could someone kindly suggest some methods to securely
synchronize files without ssh please?

It would also be great if more functions of the org-mode (e.g., creating new
tasks) can be accessed from an iPhone. I am struggling to decide if I should
stay with Org-mode (I love Emacs) or switch to outlook. I can access all
functions of my online calendars from my iPhone or from Outlook or a web
browser on any computer; but for MobileOrg, I have to put things as notes on
my iPhone, then do the copy/paste later when I can access my MAIN desktop --
synchronizing org files among computers is painful, as I just explained, so
I have to set one as the MAIN desktop for using the org-mode.

Best,

Jing

* Re: Synchronize files among computers via MobileOrg, and create tasks from iPhones?
@ 2010-12-01 20:01 ` Erik Iverson
       [not found]   ` <AANLkTin+2rNd9aXKx8wf8gUpMny4h8dFcYK36rRX7jbD@mail.gmail.com>
From: Erik Iverson @ 2010-12-01 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jing Su; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jing Su wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Just curious that if we could push to the MobileOrg server, e.g.,
> DropBox, from a computer, and pull it down from another computer, so
> that we can synchronize org files on different computers via MobileOrg.

I store all my *actual* org files on Dropbox, along with the Mobile Org
versions.  This gives me sync'ing between all my computers with Dropbox
installed.

> I used to use CVS for synchronizing, but now SSHing in and out are
> blocked at my working places, so I can no longer synchronize files
> between home computers and work computers via ssh+cvs. Could someone
> kindly suggest some methods to securely synchronize files without ssh
> please?

This I am not sure about, although some people use org-crypt for this
I think.  There is also something called "mobile org crypt" also which
lets you store encrypted org files on Dropbox for viewing on the iphone.

http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg32149.html

> It would also be great if more functions of the org-mode (e.g., creating
> new tasks) can be accessed from an iPhone. I am struggling to decide if
> I should stay with Org-mode (I love Emacs) or switch to outlook.

!!!

> I can
> access all functions of my online calendars from my iPhone or from
> Outlook or a web browser on any computer; but for MobileOrg, I have to
> put things as notes on my iPhone, then do the copy/paste later when I
> can access my MAIN desktop -- synchronizing org files among computers is
> painful, as I just explained, so I have to set one as the MAIN desktop
> for using the org-mode.

Not if you just use Dropbox for storing your actual org files. Also,
there is org-mobile-pull that should pull in any notes captured on
the iPhone and place them in an org file of your choosing for
refiling.

As for calendar, there are tools on the list for synching with
Google calendar, although not from mobile org as far as I know.

* Fwd: Synchronize files among computers via MobileOrg, and create tasks from iPhones?
       [not found]   ` <AANLkTin+2rNd9aXKx8wf8gUpMny4h8dFcYK36rRX7jbD@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-12-01 23:08     ` Jing Su
From: Jing Su @ 2010-12-01 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode