* Selective Export Question
@ 2009-12-22  6:24 Mark Elston
From: Mark Elston @ 2009-12-22  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode emacs-orgmode

I have been making progress on my use of org-mode to manage both
my teaching notes and handouts in a single document.  However, there
is something I still have not been able to make happen.  That is
selective exporting of text *without* exporting a headline along with
it.

Here is a sample of what I would like.  In this example I have sections
with "common" text (should be in both teaching notes and handouts) and
sections that are specific to each individual output format.  What I
have below is set up to export the notes.  What I would like is to
have the text (only) of the non-excluded sections and not the headlines.

#+TITLE:     Test
#+LaTeX_CLASS: ClassNotes

#+EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS: handouts

* Headline 1
   some text

** Headline 1-1
    even more text

* Headline 2
   some more text

** Headline 2-1
    Common text 1.  Should be followed by handout or notes text.

***** should be handouts only                :handouts:
       handout text

***** should be notes only                   :notes:
       notes text

** Headline 2-2
    Common text 2.  Should be followed by handout or notes text.

*****                                        :handouts:
       handout text again

*****                                        :notes:
       notes text again

The relevant material from my org-export-latex-classes is:

("ClassNotes" "\\documentclass[letter,twoside,openright]{memoir}
  ("\\chapter{%s}" . "\\chapter*{%s}")
  ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")
  ("\\subsection{%s}" . "\\subsection*{%s}")
  ("\\subsubsection{%s}" . "\\subsubsection*{%s}")
  ("%% Level 5" . "%% Level 5")
  ("%% Level 6" . "%% Level 6")
  ("%% Level 7" . "%% Level 7")
  ("%% Level 8" . "%% Level 8"))

I was hoping to allow all levels of heading to be exported but only
write comments for the levels below level 4.  It didn't work out that
way.

With the above I don't get *any* of the :notes: or :handouts:
sections written out.  However, if I include empty level three and four
headlines (the stars followed by a mandatory space) I get the :notes:
and :handouts: sections just fine.  Except now I also get empty
\subsection{} and \subsubsection{} blocks in my latex output.  I have
attached the resulting .tex file with comments pointing out the
extra heading lines I would like to *not* see...

The net result is a lot of blank space in the resulting .pdf file
between the 'common' text and the note- or handout-specific text.  This
is *definitely* not what I had in mind.

Is there any way of working around this or correcting this behavior?

Mark