From: "Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com>
To: Mark Elston <m_elston@comcast.net>
Cc: org-mode emacs-orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Selective Export Question
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 09:10:43 -1000	[thread overview]

Merry Christmas Mark,

One way to create two LaTeX documents in the same org file using
common elements and keeping fine control over the LaTeX output is to
use Org-babel.

Here's an example from the Uses section of the Org-babel documentation
on Worg:

> ** Example
>
> *** TODO Your name
>     - Enter your full name on the open line below.
> #+srcname: your-name
> #+begin_src latex
> Tom Dye
> #+end_src
>
> *** TODO Your email address
>     - Enter your email address on the open line below.
> #+srcname: your-email
> #+begin_src latex
> tsd at tsdye dot com
> #+end_src
>
> *** No data entry below this line
>     - The two source blocks here each produce a LaTeX document after
>       they are tangled with a call to =org-babel-tangle=.
>
> #+begin_src latex :noweb :tangle dist-form.tex
>   \documentclass[12pt]{article}
>   \begin{document}
>   \section{Distribution Form}
>   \begin{description}
>   \item[Name] <<your-name>>
>   \item[Email] <<your-email>>
>   \end{description}
>   \end{document}
> #+end_src
>
> #+begin_src latex :noweb :tangle file-form.tex
>   \documentclass[10pt]{article}
>   \begin{document}
>   \section{File Form}
>   <<your-name>> can be reached at <<your-email>>.
>   \end{document}
> #+end_src

To my mind, using Org-babel this way is kind of like using the Org-
mode Agenda.  It frees the organization of your org file from the
organization of some external model, leaving you to organize it in the
way that makes the most sense to you.

That said, I'm relatively confident that there is some way to do what
you want in Org-mode using the built-in LaTeX exporter, but I don't
know what it might be.

All the best,
Tom