* Emacs23 Menus "Org" and "Tbl" empty
@ 2009-10-06 14:52 e.waelde
From: e.waelde @ 2009-10-06 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I noticed today that the pulldown menus "Org" and "Tbl" remain
empty, even though org mode is loaded and all functions can be
called by "M-x org-...".
Any hints where to look?

using Debian:
dpkg -l emacs\* org-mode\* | grep ^ii
ii  emacs-goodies-el        30.5-1    Miscellaneous add-ons for Emacs
ii  emacs23                 23.1+1-4  The GNU Emacs editor (with GTK+ user interfa
ii  emacs23-bin-common      23.1+1-4  The GNU Emacs editor's shared, architecture
ii  emacs23-common          23.1+1-4  The GNU Emacs editor's shared, architecture
ii  emacs23-common-non-dfsg 23.1+1-1  GNU Emacs shared, architecture independent,
ii  emacs23-el              23.1+1-4  GNU Emacs LISP (.el) files
ii  emacsen-common          1.4.19    Common facilities for all emacsen
ii  org-mode                6.31-1    keep notes, maintain ToDo lists, and do proj

Please cc: me since I'm not subscribed.
Thanks,
Erich

* Re: Emacs23 Menus "Org" and "Tbl" empty
@ 2009-10-06 15:16 ` Benjamin Andresen
From: Benjamin Andresen @ 2009-10-06 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: e.waelde; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hey Erich,

"e.waelde" <ew.ng7125@nassur.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I noticed today that the pulldown menus "Org" and "Tbl" remain
> empty, even though org mode is loaded and all functions can be
> called by "M-x org-...".
> Any hints where to look?

Might be a shot in the dark, but: (Only applicable if you use the gtk
version of Emacs)

gtk 2.18 changed a few things but gtk 2.16 should work from the get-go.
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/unstable/gtk-migrating-ClientSideWindows.html

There you can see that you could try exporting GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1
before running emacs and see if that fixes things.

HTH,
benny

* Re: Re: Emacs23 Menus "Org" and "Tbl" empty
@ 2009-10-07  9:11   ` Robin Green
From: Robin Green @ 2009-10-07  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: e.waelde

At Tue, 06 Oct 2009 17:16:47 +0200,
Benjamin Andresen wrote:
> Might be a shot in the dark, but: (Only applicable if you use the gtk
> version of Emacs)
>
> gtk 2.18 changed a few things but gtk 2.16 should work from the
> get-go.
> http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/unstable/gtk-migrating-ClientSideWindows.html
>
> There you can see that you could try exporting GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1
> before running emacs and see if that fixes things.

This should work, but it might break apps launched from emacs (e.g. web
browsers). Possibly-better solutions include:

1. Build emacs from CVS
2. OR, take the emacs 23.1 source code, apply the patch I posted to the bug report at
http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=4122
and build emacs

Again, this is only applicable if you use the GTK version of emacs.

--
Robin

* Re: Re: Emacs23 Menus "Org" and "Tbl" empty
@ 2009-10-08 19:38     ` e.waelde
From: e.waelde @ 2009-10-08 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robin Green; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Robin Green wrote:
> At Tue, 06 Oct 2009 17:16:47 +0200,
> Benjamin Andresen wrote:
>> Might be a shot in the dark, but: (Only applicable if you use the gtk
>> version of Emacs)
>>
>> gtk 2.18 changed a few things but gtk 2.16 should work from the
>> get-go.
>> http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/unstable/gtk-migrating-ClientSideWindows.html
>>
>> There you can see that you could try exporting GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1
>> before running emacs and see if that fixes things.
This does make a difference indeed.
HOWEVER: this immediately raises the question: Why are 2 (in words: two) of
nine menus empty and 7 of 9 are ok as always? I would not in my wildest
dreams expect, that there is different code responsible to draw them menus ...

> This should work, but it might break apps launched from emacs (e.g. web
> browsers). Possibly-better solutions include:
>
> 1. Build emacs from CVS
> 2. OR, take the emacs 23.1 source code, apply the patch I posted to the bug report at
> http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=4122
> and build emacs
>
> Again, this is only applicable if you use the GTK version of emacs.

I guess, I should forward this thread to the debian package maintainer, this
looks like the suspicios tip of some other iceberg.

Thanks for helping!

Cheers,
Erich