From: "e.waelde" <ew.ng7125@nassur.net>
To: Robin Green <greenrd@greenrd.org>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Re: Emacs23 Menus "Org" and "Tbl" empty
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 21:38:55 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello,

Robin Green wrote:
> At Tue, 06 Oct 2009 17:16:47 +0200,
> Benjamin Andresen wrote:
>> Might be a shot in the dark, but: (Only applicable if you use the gtk
>> version of Emacs)
>>
>> gtk 2.18 changed a few things but gtk 2.16 should work from the
>> get-go.
>> http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/unstable/gtk-migrating-ClientSideWindows.html
>>
>> There you can see that you could try exporting GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1
>> before running emacs and see if that fixes things.
This does make a difference indeed.
HOWEVER: this immediately raises the question: Why are 2 (in words: two) of
nine menus empty and 7 of 9 are ok as always? I would not in my wildest
dreams expect, that there is different code responsible to draw them menus ...

> This should work, but it might break apps launched from emacs (e.g. web
> browsers). Possibly-better solutions include:
>
> 1. Build emacs from CVS
> 2. OR, take the emacs 23.1 source code, apply the patch I posted to the bug report at
> http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=4122
> and build emacs
>
> Again, this is only applicable if you use the GTK version of emacs.

I guess, I should forward this thread to the debian package maintainer, this
looks like the suspicios tip of some other iceberg.

Thanks for helping!

Cheers,
Erich