* Re: Re: Re: RSI
       [not found] <4AAD1565.90106@alumni.ethz.ch>
@ 2009-09-13 17:03 ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2009-09-13 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric S Fraga wrote:
> ...  Therefore, I'm intrigued by your
> reference to viper: is it possible to use, constructively and easily,
> viper with org-mode?  ...

For me definitely yes. org-mode (which I use for a few months) and viper-mode (which I use for two years) are both too good for me to abandon one in favor of the other, they are even the two most important and valuable modes in Emacs for me (beside calc which I also value most but don't need for "real work"). I find viper-mode comfortable even in "Editable Dired" mode (C-x C-q when in Dired).

To cut a hidden region to the clipboard like a closed heading or drawer one can use either C-k or unhide it and cut as a region (`m x C-f p d ' x' in org-mode and viper-mode). Remember that a region can be moved very easily within the same file with S-M-up or S-M-down repeatedly.

There is no necessity for me to abandon viper-mode as a whole if some things don't work with e. g. org-mode. E. g. sometimes when I edit a org table cell then the viper-mode commands `c e' behaves erroneously like `i'. But here one can use a workaround like `d e i' and this is not happening outside org tables. I fear that the viper-mode is still used by too few people so that things like that are unlikely to be fixed in org-mode.

Beside this, viper-mode for me works with org-mode like with all other modes I used it before.

- Michael

* Re: Re: Re: Re: RSI
@ 2009-09-14 19:35   ` Eric S Fraga, Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga, Eric S Fraga @ 2009-09-14 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Brand; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

At Sun, 13 Sep 2009 19:03:44 +0200,
Michael Brand wrote:

> Eric S Fraga wrote:
> > ...  Therefore, I'm intrigued by your
> > reference to viper: is it possible to use, constructively and easily,
> > viper with org-mode?  ...
>
> For me definitely yes. org-mode (which I use for a few months) and
> viper-mode (which I use for two years) are both too good for me to
> abandon one in favor of the other, they are even the two most

Well, I finally found some time in my (still hectic despite the use of
org-mode ;-) schedule to play around with viper & org-mode.  The
combination works quite well, actually, and makes using a
thumb-keyboard (my Nokia N810) much easier.  Thanks!