* Emacs crashes when using S-TAB in drawer
@ 2009-08-07 22:30 Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2009-08-07 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello all,

emacs crashes reproducibly when using S-Tab in an expended drawer.  I've
noticed this with my org-file, which is rather big.  I tried to narrow
it down to a minimal org file, but could not reproduce the crash.  While
trying to narrow things down, I noticed that drawers get corrupted when
using S-Tab multiple times, looks like the :END: line goes missing.

I'm happy to provide more info if you tell me what you're looking for,
but as I said, I wasn't able to create a minimal org file showing the
crash.  I'm wondering if anybody else has the same problems ...

Here are my versions:

Emacs version: GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2009-06-30
on LENNART-69DE564

org version: 6.269c

Cheers
Markus

* Re: Emacs crashes when using S-TAB in drawer
@ 2009-08-08  4:16 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-08  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Are you using org-indent-mode?

- Carsten

@ 2009-08-10 16:08   ` Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2009-08-10 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Are you using org-indent-mode?

Yes I do.

This is the configuration I use:

#+DRAWERS: IDEAS COMMENTS REVIEW
#+STARTUP: content
#+STARTUP: hidestars
#+STARTUP: indent

followed by 3 lines of #+TAG.

I use the :COMMENTS: drawer very frequently to jot down comments on
specific tasks etc. and the :IDEAS: drawer only occasionally, but the
crash happens when point is in either of them.

I'm sorry I couldn't reproduce a minimal file that shows the crash.

Please let me know if you need further info.

Cheers

> - Carsten
>
> On Aug 8, 2009, at 12:30 AM, Markus Heller wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> emacs crashes reproducibly when using S-Tab in an expended drawer.
>> I've noticed this with my org-file, which is rather big.  I tried to
>> narrow it down to a minimal org file, but could not reproduce the
>> crash.  While trying to narrow things down, I noticed that drawers get
>> corrupted when using S-Tab multiple times, looks like the :END: line
>> goes missing.
>>
>> I'm happy to provide more info if you tell me what you're looking for,
>> but as I said, I wasn't able to create a minimal org file showing the
>> crash.  I'm wondering if anybody else has the same problems ...
>>
>> Here are my versions:
>>
>> Emacs version: GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of
>> 2009-06-30 on LENNART-69DE564
>>
>> org version: 6.269c
>>
>> Cheers
>> Markus

* Re: Re: Emacs crashes when using S-TAB in drawer
@ 2009-08-10 18:00     ` Carsten Dominik
       [not found]       ` <27c152c00908101402v6216bba0s76fd615a82ab12ba@mail.gmail.com>
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-10 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Aug 10, 2009, at 6:08 PM, Markus Heller wrote:

> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>> Are you using org-indent-mode?
>
> Yes I do.
>
> This is the configuration I use:
>
> #+DRAWERS: IDEAS COMMENTS REVIEW
> #+STARTUP: content
> #+STARTUP: hidestars
> #+STARTUP: indent
>
> followed by 3 lines of #+TAG.
>
> I use the :COMMENTS: drawer very frequently to jot down comments on
> specific tasks etc. and the :IDEAS: drawer only occasionally, but
> the crash happens when point is in either of them.
>
> I'm sorry I couldn't reproduce a minimal file that shows the crash.

Hi,

does the crash happen reproducible in the big file?
If yes, would you mind sharing that file with just me?

I have Emacs crash occasionally with org-indent-mode as well, I think
this is an Emacs bug, the features with line-prefix are still new.
But if there is a reproducible case, we could at least make a good
backtrace including the C code and a core dump, maybe some Emacs
developer could do something with it.

Please also test if the crashes disappear when you no longer
use org-indent-mode.

- Carsten

       [not found]           ` <27c152c00908111030g32e4c16fv262a27f727b95d6d@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-08-15 18:46             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-15 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Markus,

it appears that this bug is now fixed in CVS Emacs, and if you
get it installed on your machine, you should be able to use
org-indent-mode safely.

Best

- Carsten

@ 2009-08-17 16:49               ` Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2009-08-17 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Hi Markus,
>
> it appears that this bug is now fixed in CVS Emacs, and if you
> get it installed on your machine, you should be able to use
> org-indent-mode safely.
>
> Best

Carsten,

thanks for letting us know.  I'll give it a try when I get a chance.

Cheers!
Markus