* C-u usage
@ 2010-08-17  9:24 Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2010-08-17  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Carsten Dominik

Hi Carsten,

while dealing with the key/command-name issue,
thanks for the last hint BTW, works now,

stumble over

C-u C-u C-u <TAB>

Don't it break common Emacs usage somehow?

The problem arises, as C-h k does not report a
combination starting with C-u...

Just for consideration.

Andreas

* Re: C-u usage
@ 2010-08-17  9:51 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-08-17  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:

Hi Andreas,

> C-u C-u C-u <TAB>
>
> Don't it break common Emacs usage somehow?

No, that's the usual way to provide an universal argument (a number) to
a command.

> The problem arises, as C-h k does not report a
> combination starting with C-u...

`C-u' is a command by itself: `universal-argument'

To get to the "real" function's docs, leave out the C-u (optionally
followed by a number) part when typing at the `C-h k' prompt.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: C-u usage
@ 2010-08-17 11:55 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-08-17 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Röhler; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Andreas,

On Aug 17, 2010, at 11:24 AM, Andreas Röhler wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> while dealing with the key/command-name issue,
> thanks for the last hint BTW, works now,
>
> stumble over
>
> C-u C-u C-u <TAB>
>
> Don't it break common Emacs usage somehow?

No, it is customary that C-u changes the behavior as a function.
Admittedly Org does this more extensively than other programs.

> The problem arises, as C-h k does not report a
> combination starting with C-u...

Yes, for your command name listing this is a problem.

Two cases

1. Using prefix arguments actually internally calls a different command.
    Then one can try to find this command, and if it can be called in a
    stand-alone way, it would actually be useful to give this indirect
command
    in the list

2. The prefix argument just modified the command a bit - here I think
    we have no choice but to repeat the command name as it was given
for the
    un-prefixed call.  Normally one would in fact describe the effect
of the
    prefix arg in the description of the un-prefixed command.  But
sometimes
    I have found it useful to list the prefixed call explicitly.

HTH

- Carsten

> Just for consideration.
>
> Andreas