* Orgmode performance problem and "solution"
@ 2011-10-26  8:07 Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2011-10-26  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

after upgrading my Emacs from version  23 to
GNU Emacs 24.0.90.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2011-10-19 on MARVIN

Org ran terribly slow. Cursor movement was slow, clock adjustment also etc.

After having an issue which was solved immediately by Nicolas Goaziou
I changed my repository from
git://repo.or.cz/org-mode.git
git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
in order to be able to pull his fix immediately.

Lacking knowledge of git I deleted everything, cloned from the new repo and compiled the files.
Result was a significantly faster Org experience.

Sorry I have no explanation but maybe someone who has performance problems may try to checkout from scratch and recompile.

Org-mode version 7.7 (release_7.7.464.g679a0.dirty)
Windows XP SP3

Regards,
Rainer

* Re: Orgmode performance problem and "solution"
@ 2011-10-26  8:47 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-10-26  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Sorry I have no explanation but maybe someone who has performance
> problems may try to checkout from scratch and recompile.

May be this is the explanation:

http://orgmode.org/w/?p=org-mode.git;a=commit;h=1a97f29c342d85960a65c0bd992fee7c87850da5

points to this thread:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-09/msg00276.html

People can install daily from ELPA. No knowledge of git is
required. Files get compiled automatically and info file also get
installed automatically.

Only issue could be bandwidth ... Otherwise it is THE method for
receiving bugfixes and improvements with the least hassle.

* Re: Orgmode performance problem and "solution"
@ 2011-10-26 12:11 ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-10-26 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 10:07, Rainer Stengele
<rainer.stengele@online.de> wrote:
> Lacking knowledge of git I deleted everything, cloned from the new repo and compiled the files.
> Result was a significantly faster Org experience.

For future reference, a sinple `git pull` would have sufficed.

--
Suvayu

* Re: Orgmode performance problem and "solution"
@ 2011-10-26 12:16   ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2011-10-26 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: suvayu ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

No, the old repo

git://repo.or.cz/org-mode.git

I used is some time behind the one I use now.
If I want to get a fix immediately I learned I have to use the new repo git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git

I hope I got this right.

Rainer

@ 2011-10-26 12:30     ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-10-26 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rainer,

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 14:16, Rainer Stengele
<rainer.stengele@online.de> wrote:
> No, the old repo
>
> git://repo.or.cz/org-mode.git
>
> I used is some time behind the one I use now.
> If I want to get a fix immediately I learned I have to use the new repo git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
>
> I hope I got this right.

I should have been explicit. To change the remote repo, all you need
to do is update the url in the .git/config file.

[remote "origin"]
        fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
        url = git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
       ^^^^^
You can also update the url with the following command:

$ git config remote.origin.url git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git

Once you have done that, all you need is `git pull` to get the latest.

> Rainer

Hope this helps in the future.

--
Suvayu

* Re: Orgmode performance problem and "solution"
@ 2011-10-26 14:20     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-10-26 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, nicholas.dokos

Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@online.de> wrote:

> No, the old repo
>
> git://repo.or.cz/org-mode.git
>
> I used is some time behind the one I use now.
> If I want to get a fix immediately I learned I have to use the new repo git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
>
> I hope I got this right.
>
> Rainer
>
> Am 26.10.2011 14:11, schrieb suvayu ali:
> > On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 10:07, Rainer Stengele
> > <rainer.stengele@online.de> wrote:
> >> Lacking knowledge of git I deleted everything, cloned from the new repo and compiled the files.
> >> Result was a significantly faster Org experience.
> >>
> > For future reference, a sinple `git pull` would have sufficed.

It's too late for it now, but for future reference: you can change the
repo with ``git config --replace-all remote.origin.url
git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git'' and then do a ``git pull''. AFAIK, the
repo.or.cz/org-mode.git repo was a delayed mirror, so it would have the
same history (up to the point of the latest sync).

But it doesn't really matter: cloning the repo again takes longer but
it's a one-time cost and the end result is the same.

Nick

* Re: Orgmode performance problem and "solution"
@ 2011-10-26 15:31   ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-10-26 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

on Wed Oct 26 2011, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 10:07, Rainer Stengele
> <rainer.stengele@online.de> wrote:
>> Lacking knowledge of git I deleted everything, cloned from the new repo and compiled the files.
>> Result was a significantly faster Org experience.
>>

> For future reference, a sinple `git pull` would have sufficed.

Not if there were compiled files.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

* Re: Orgmode performance problem and "solution"
@ 2011-10-26 20:31     ` Matthew Sauer
From: Matthew Sauer @ 2011-10-26 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org