* Export to PDF
@ 2007-04-18 12:59 Denis Bueno
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Denis Bueno @ 2007-04-18 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

All-

I'm somewhat mystified that I can't seem to find support for this
feature in Org mode. I looked through the manual and mailing list, but
it seems no one has used -- or even wanted -- this feature. However,
it's one of the (very few) things I can find lacking in org-mode. Is
there a chance this will be implemented in the future?

LaTeX-heavy files especially would benefit from export-to-pdf (and
indeed, this is why I want it). The lack of this feature is the one
thing that gives me pause about using org-mode to take notes in
college.

Thank you.

-Denis

* Re: Export to PDF
@ 2007-04-18 13:31 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-04-18 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Why don't you go through HTML und use

http://www.rustyparts.com/pdf.php

- Carsten

On Apr 18, 2007, at 14:59, Denis Bueno wrote:

> All-
>
> I'm somewhat mystified that I can't seem to find support for this
> feature in Org mode. I looked through the manual and mailing list, but
> it seems no one has used -- or even wanted -- this feature. However,
> it's one of the (very few) things I can find lacking in org-mode. Is
> there a chance this will be implemented in the future?
>
> LaTeX-heavy files especially would benefit from export-to-pdf (and
> indeed, this is why I want it). The lack of this feature is the one
> thing that gives me pause about using org-mode to take notes in
> college.
>
> Thank you.
>
> -Denis

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: Export to PDF
@ 2007-04-18 13:50   ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2007-04-18 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 4/18/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> Why don't you go through HTML und use
>
> http://www.rustyparts.com/pdf.php

That does work, but you seem to lose all the hyperlinks. Also, the
quality of the typesetting is not stellar. In principle, you could get
good typesetting and working links in the PDF file by going through
pdflatex. However, I imagine that implementing a latex backend for org
would be a lot of work, so I hesitate to suggest it. Muse-mode might
be a better fit for anyone who needs this sort of functionality.

Cheers

Will

--

  Dr William Henney, Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
  Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia

* Re: Export to PDF
@ 2007-04-19 15:36 ` Scott Jaderholm
From: Scott Jaderholm @ 2007-04-19 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denis Bueno; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 4/18/07, Denis Bueno <dbueno@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm somewhat mystified that I can't seem to find support for this
> feature in Org mode. I looked through the manual and mailing list, but
> it seems no one has used -- or even wanted -- this feature.

I completely agree that this feature would be nice. I often wish I could
print my org files in a professional looking manner, without headlines
getting cut off or urls and page numbers appearing at the top, which happens
with html export, which is the easiest way to print from a remote shell or
Emacs in Windows. Taking an agenda from org into a meeting would be a lot
easier with a nice PDF printer. Of course I realize this is no easy task and
so it's no mystery why it isn't implemented.

If you come up with a good solution please do share.

Thanks,
Scott

* Re: Export to PDF
@ 2007-04-19 18:42   ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2007-04-19 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Scott Jaderholm" <jaderholm@gmail.com> writes:

> On 4/18/07, Denis Bueno <dbueno@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     I'm somewhat mystified that I can't seem to find support for this
>     feature in Org mode. I looked through the manual and mailing list, but
>     it seems no one has used -- or even wanted -- this feature.
>
> I completely agree that this feature would be nice. I often wish I
> could print my org files in a professional looking manner, without
> headlines getting cut off or urls and page numbers appearing at the
> top, which happens with html export, which is the easiest way to
> print from a remote shell or Emacs in Windows. Taking an agenda from
> org into a meeting would be a lot easier with a nice PDF printer. Of
> course I realize this is no easy task and so it's no mystery why it
> isn't implemented.

If we want good PDF output from org-mode, the best way is almost
certainly a good LaTeX exporter.  Producing one would be
time-consuming, but probably not all that hard, since it could start
with a straightforward port of the HTML exporter.  PDF export could
then just run the LaTeX exporter and pdflatex (or whatever other path
to pdf you prefer).  This will require an additional install on
Windows (e.g. MiKTeX), but that honestly shouldn't be a problem for
anyone running Emacs.

I would like to have this feature, and I think I could probably
implement it myself, but unfortunately I know that I don't have time
to.

| Jason F. McBrayer                    jmcbray@carcosa.net  |
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |
| is the greatest of all conquerors.  --- The Dhammapada    |

* Re: Export to PDF
@ 2007-04-19 20:39     ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2007-04-19 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Like I said yesterday :)

> Producing one would be
> time-consuming, but probably not all that hard, since it could start
> with a straightforward port of the HTML exporter.  PDF export could
> then just run the LaTeX exporter and pdflatex (or whatever other path
> to pdf you prefer).

If anyone does want to try and implement this, then muse mode and bhl
mode might be good places to look for ideas and re-usable code.

Cheers

Will

--

@ 2007-04-29  2:17   ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2007-04-29  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

to get hyperlinks etc from latex into pdf, the best option is to
use package hyperref

    Carsten> Why don't you go through HTML und use
    Carsten> http://www.rustyparts.com/pdf.php
    Carsten>
    Carsten> - Carsten
    Carsten>
    Carsten> On Apr 18, 2007, at 14:59, Denis Bueno wrote:
    Carsten>
    >> All-
    >>
    >> I'm somewhat mystified that I can't seem to find support
    >> for this feature in Org mode. I looked through the manual
    >> and mailing list, but it seems no one has used -- or even
    >> wanted -- this feature. However, it's one of the (very
    >> few) things I can find lacking in org-mode. Is there a
    >> chance this will be implemented in the future?
    >>
    >> LaTeX-heavy files especially would benefit from
    >> export-to-pdf (and indeed, this is why I want it). The
    >> lack of this feature is the one thing that gives me pause
    >> about using org-mode to take notes in college.
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> -Denis

Carsten Dominik Sterrenkundig Instituut "Anton Pannekoek"
    Carsten> Universiteit van Amsterdam Kruislaan 403 NL-1098SJ
    Carsten> Amsterdam phone: +31 20 525 7477

Best Regards,
--raman

Email:  raman@users.sf.net
WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@gmail.com
Google: tv+raman
IRC:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

* Re: Export to PDF
@ 2007-04-30 23:40 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-04-30 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

----- Denis Bueno (2007-04-18) wrote:-----

> I'm somewhat mystified that I can't seem to find support for this
> feature in Org mode. I looked through the manual and mailing list, but
> it seems no one has used -- or even wanted -- this feature. However,
> it's one of the (very few) things I can find lacking in org-mode. Is
> there a chance this will be implemented in the future?
>
> LaTeX-heavy files especially would benefit from export-to-pdf (and
> indeed, this is why I want it). The lack of this feature is the one
> thing that gives me pause about using org-mode to take notes in
> college.

I also found this extremely useful. Is it now possible to export .org to
.muse file?