* New test version: org-4.19a
       [not found] <200603291702.k2TH2Z9a271582@bp04.u.washington.edu>
@ 2006-03-30  2:55 ` Scott Otterson
From: Scott Otterson @ 2006-03-30  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Wow, that was a quick request-to-test turnaround.  I tried out the new
hyperlinks and the new format shows up as advertized.  However,
fontlocking no longer works -- everything's in black and white and the
leading edge stars are visible, even though I have
org-hide-leading-stars set turned on.  The one kind of formatting I do
see is that the old-style links (surrounded by <>) are bolded.

Possibly, it has something to do with the error message I'm seeing when
I open a new org file:

   File mode specification error: (voide-variable org-xemacs-p)

Or, maybe it's related to the following byte compiling warnings:

---------------

org.el:13348:1:Warning: the following functions might not be defined at
     runtime: calendar-forward-day, calendar-goto-date, calendar-goto-today,
     calendar-iso-date-string, calendar-julian-date-string,
     calendar-astro-date-string, calendar-hebrew-date-string,
     calendar-islamic-date-string, calendar-french-date-string,
     calendar-mayan-date-string, calendar-coptic-date-string,
     calendar-ethiopic-date-string, calendar-persian-date-string,
     calendar-chinese-date-string
org.el:13348:1:Warning: the following functions are not known to be defined:
     list-diary-entries, add-to-diary-list, bbdb-name, bbdb-company, bbdb,
     gnus-summary-goto-article, vm-select-folder-buffer, vm-isearch-update,
     vm-isearch-narrow, vm-beginning-of-message, vm-summarize,
     wl-summary-goto-folder-subr, wl-summary-jump-to-msg-by-message-id,
     wl-summary-redisplay, rmail-what-message, rmail-show-message,
     mh-index-previous-folder, mh-get-msg-num,
mh-show-buffer-message-number,
     mh-display-msg, mh-header-display, mh-show-header-display,
     mh-get-header-field, mh-show, mh-show-show, mh-find-path,
mh-visit-folder,
     mh-normalize-folder-name, mh-search-choose, mh-search, mh-show-msg,
     mailcap-parse-mailcaps, mailcap-extension-to-mime, mailcap-mime-info,
     bbdb-record-name, bbdb-current-record, bbdb-record-company,
     vm-follow-summary-cursor, vm-su-subject, vm-su-full-name,
     vm-su-message-id, wl-summary-message-number, elmo-message-field,
     elmo-msgdb-overview-get-entity, wl-summary-buffer-msgdb,
     wl-summary-line-from, rmail-narrow-to-non-pruned-header,
     gnus-article-show-summary, gnus-summary-beginning-of-article,
     gnus-summary-article-header, mail-header-from, mail-header-id,
     mail-header-date, gnus-summary-subject-string, remember-buffer-desc,
     table--at-cell-p, Info-goto-node, add-local-hook

-------------------

This is on emacs this emacs version:

   GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit)

Scott

* Re: New test version: org-4.19a
@ 2006-03-30  4:51   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-03-30  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Otterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

The fact that font-lock no longer works has indeed to do with the error
message you get.
The variable org-xemacs-p used to be defined in org.el, but no longer
is.  The entire file
does not contain any reference to that variable anymore.  The fact that
you this
message means either that you are still loading some old version of
org.el, or that
you are using org-xemacs-p in some configuration, hook, or whatever.

What is the value of C-c h org-version RET    ?

If it is not 4.19a, then you are loading some old version of org-mode.
If it is 4.19a, it must be a hook or whatever.

Find any uses of org-xemacs-p, and replace them with (featurep 'xemacs).

- Carsten

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: New test version: org-4.19a
@ 2006-03-30  7:03     ` Scott Otterson
From: Scott Otterson @ 2006-03-30  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

It turns out that the org-xemacs-p was coming from org-mouse.el.  I
pulled that out of my path and no longer got that org-xemacs-p error
message.  But the fontlocking problems are all still there.

M-x org-version shows that I'm using 4.19a.

Hmm.

Scott

@ 2006-03-30  7:49       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-03-30  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Otterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I cannot reproduce this under Emacs 22.0.50.1.  I tried  under Linux
and under MacOS, works fine in both cases.

Is there something in the *Messages* buffer that looks suspicious?
What if you turn off font-lock-mode, and then turn it back on?

How does your font-lock and org-mode related setup look like, have you
configured something I don't?

- Carsten

--

@ 2006-03-30 17:52         ` Scott Otterson
From: Scott Otterson @ 2006-03-30 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Good idea about the *Messages* buffer -- I've always completely ignored
it.  Looking at it over, I realized that my problem is due to a conflict
between org-4-19a and an old allout setting I had in my .emacs.  With
these lines in my .emacs:

(defvar rf-allout-font-lock-keywords
   '(;;
     ;; Highlight headings according to the level.
     (eval . (list (concat "^\\(" outline-regexp "\\).+")
		0 '(or (cdr (assq (outline-depth)
				  '((1 . font-lock-function-name-face)
				    (2 . font-lock-variable-name-face)
				    (3 . font-lock-keyword-face)
				    (4 . font-lock-builtin-face)
				    (5 . font-lock-comment-face)
				    (6 . font-lock-constant-face)
				    (7 . font-lock-type-face)
				    (8 . font-lock-string-face))))
		       font-lock-warning-face)
		nil t)))
   "Additional expressions to highlight in Outline mode.")

;; add font-lock to allout mode
(defun rf-allout-font-lock-hook ()
   (set (make-local-variable 'font-lock-defaults)
        '(rf-allout-font-lock-keywords t nil nil
        outline-back-to-current-heading))
   ; doesn't work here? works if use emacs customizer (so leave it there)
   ;(setq outline-plain-bullets-string "-*-*-")  ; not fontlocking...
   ; lead w/ spaces, could instead use: `outline-use-mode-specific-leader'
   ;(setq outline-header-prefix ".")
)

(add-hook 'outline-mode-hook 'rf-allout-font-lock-hook)

I got this message in *Messages*:

   Error during redisplay: (void-function outline-depth) [7 times]

When I removed the allout settings above, the error went away and
fontlocking in org-mode works again.

Links now display very nicely.  A couple comments

* URL links work great.  I think this is a big improvement!

* It would be nice if file TAB completion worked after the minibuffer
"Link" prompt

* looks the stuff at the top of p. 18 of the manual has been obsoleted
by this change.  Tthe <>'s are no longer neded  in
"[[<http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/>][GNU Emacs]])" although they
still work.

* Are the <>'s required anymore?  At the C-c C-l "Link:" prompt is it
possible to write things so that you can just type:
   file:afilename
instead of:
   <file:afilename>

* It would be cool if file TAB completion worked after typing "file:"

* If I hit BACKSPACE in a link, then the guts of the link are displayed.
  But then it's not clear how to repair the link to make them hidden
again.

Thanks for the changes,

Scott

@ 2006-03-30 18:03           ` Piotr Zielinski
From: Piotr Zielinski @ 2006-03-30 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Otterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I've now removed references to org-xemacs-p from org-mouse.

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~pz215/files/org-mouse.el

Piotr