From: Scott Otterson <scotto@u.washington.edu>
To: Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: New test version: org-4.19a
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 09:52:27 -0800	[thread overview]

Good idea about the *Messages* buffer -- I've always completely ignored
it.  Looking at it over, I realized that my problem is due to a conflict
between org-4-19a and an old allout setting I had in my .emacs.  With
these lines in my .emacs:

(defvar rf-allout-font-lock-keywords
   '(;;
     ;; Highlight headings according to the level.
     (eval . (list (concat "^\\(" outline-regexp "\\).+")
		0 '(or (cdr (assq (outline-depth)
				  '((1 . font-lock-function-name-face)
				    (2 . font-lock-variable-name-face)
				    (3 . font-lock-keyword-face)
				    (4 . font-lock-builtin-face)
				    (5 . font-lock-comment-face)
				    (6 . font-lock-constant-face)
				    (7 . font-lock-type-face)
				    (8 . font-lock-string-face))))
		       font-lock-warning-face)
		nil t)))
   "Additional expressions to highlight in Outline mode.")

;; add font-lock to allout mode
(defun rf-allout-font-lock-hook ()
   (set (make-local-variable 'font-lock-defaults)
        '(rf-allout-font-lock-keywords t nil nil
        outline-back-to-current-heading))
   ; doesn't work here? works if use emacs customizer (so leave it there)
   ;(setq outline-plain-bullets-string "-*-*-")  ; not fontlocking...
   ; lead w/ spaces, could instead use: `outline-use-mode-specific-leader'
   ;(setq outline-header-prefix ".")
)

(add-hook 'outline-mode-hook 'rf-allout-font-lock-hook)

I got this message in *Messages*:

   Error during redisplay: (void-function outline-depth) [7 times]

When I removed the allout settings above, the error went away and
fontlocking in org-mode works again.

Links now display very nicely.  A couple comments

* URL links work great.  I think this is a big improvement!

* It would be nice if file TAB completion worked after the minibuffer
"Link" prompt

* looks the stuff at the top of p. 18 of the manual has been obsoleted
by this change.  Tthe <>'s are no longer neded  in
"[[<http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/>][GNU Emacs]])" although they
still work.

* Are the <>'s required anymore?  At the C-c C-l "Link:" prompt is it
possible to write things so that you can just type:
   file:afilename
instead of:
   <file:afilename>

* It would be cool if file TAB completion worked after typing "file:"

* If I hit BACKSPACE in a link, then the guts of the link are displayed.
  But then it's not clear how to repair the link to make them hidden
again.

Thanks for the changes,

Scott