* Footnotes: paragraph definition, section name
@ 2010-07-26 11:57 Stefan Vollmar
From: Stefan Vollmar @ 2010-07-26 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am using org-mode version 7.01g and I have just come across some problems with footnotes.

(1) I have a paragraph that after applying fill-paragraph (M-Q) contains these lines:

automated tests that work across a range of very different operating
systems and hardware acquire a different level of quality
[fn:Turku2008Vinci]. This approach also reflects the current IT
infrastructure at our institute [...]

The problem here is that [fn:Turku2008Vinci] is supposed to be a named footnote reference, however, Org-mode interprets it as a footnote definition (it starts in column 0 after a newline). The current documentation says:

"[...] footnote is defined in a paragraph that is started by a footnote marker in square brackets in column 0, no indentation allowed."

So it depends on the definition of "paragraph" - this might be different for different approaches of "Line Wrapping" - whether line breaks use newline characters or "soft" returns. This problem might be solved if a footnote defintion would require one empty line before the definition?

(2) If I set org-footnote-section to "References" and have a "References" heading, in HTML export that heading vanishes and I get a "Footnotes:" section instead. How can I have "References" instead of "Footnotes:"?

Many thanks in advance.
Warm regards,
 Stefan
--