* One org file, multiple exports, is it possible?
@ 2010-05-22 23:46 Karl Martino
From: Karl Martino @ 2010-05-22 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I am a long time org-mode user, this my first time posting to the email list,
and before I ask my question I first want to say thanks to all those who are
helping maintain and grow this terrific software.

I maintain a single org-mode file with half my life in it.  It
contains my journal, my task list, contacts, and notes on various projects. I
use tags to indicate what content is associated to what content.

What I would like to do is publish multiple html exports of this file, filtered
by tag.  A file that comprises of journal entries that are tagged for
work. Another with journal entries that are tagged as personal highlights I want
to take special note of.

This file's path is at ~/notes/org/index.org.  I'd like to export the filtered
version of this file to ~/notes/export/index.html
~/notes/export/index_[tagname].html and to change each filtered export's title.

So far in my reading of the docs, this does not seem possible. It seems you
cannot indicate the export result file name.  But I can indicate path.  So
following is a sample org-publish-project-alist that that filters by tag and
puts the result in different publishing directories.  But I still can't figure
out how to change the title on those exported pages.  Can anyone provide me with
any pointers?

(setq org-publish-project-alist
      '(
        ("highlights"
         :base-directory "~/notes/org/"
         :base-extension "org"
         :publishing-directory "~/notes/export"
         :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-html
         :select-tags     ("highlight")
         :include ("index.org")
         )
        ("work"
         :base-directory "~/notes/org/"
         :base-extension "org"
         :publishing-directory "~/notes/export/work/"
         :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-html
         :select-tags     ("@WORK")
         :include ("index.org")
         :exclude "\\.org$"
         )
        ("home"
         :base-directory "~/notes/org/"
         :base-extension "org"
         :publishing-directory "~/notes/export/home/"
         :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-html
         :select-tags     ("@HOME")
         :include ("index.org")
         :exclude "\\.org$"
         :link-up
         )
        ))

I am using org-version 6.33f and Emacs 23.1.9 on OS-X.

Thank you in advance,

Karl

--
"Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood” - Steven Covey

paradox1x.org, phillyfuture.org, @kmartino

* Re: One org file, multiple exports, is it possible?
@ 2010-05-23  0:47 ` Karl Martino
From: Karl Martino @ 2010-05-23  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I should have added, I realize that there are options to export
separate subtrees using EXPORT_FILE_NAME and EXPORT_TITLE properties.
I hope I described how this is similar to that but different.  I a
have content spread across subtrees I want to gather by tag and export
using similar variables to these.

I *could* reorganize my file to use seperate subtrees, but it seems a
shame to do so since having an internal blog-like structure for my
journal that I can filter by tag just maps real well to how I work and
think.

Thanks,

Karl

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 7:46 PM, Karl Martino <kmartino@pobox.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a long time org-mode user, this my first time posting to the email list,
> and before I ask my question I first want to say thanks to all those who are
> helping maintain and grow this terrific software.
>
> I maintain a single org-mode file with half my life in it.  It
> contains my journal, my task list, contacts, and notes on various projects. I
> use tags to indicate what content is associated to what content.
>
> What I would like to do is publish multiple html exports of this file, filtered
> by tag.  A file that comprises of journal entries that are tagged for
> work. Another with journal entries that are tagged as personal highlights I want
> to take special note of.
>
> This file's path is at ~/notes/org/index.org.  I'd like to export the filtered
> version of this file to ~/notes/export/index.html
> ~/notes/export/index_[tagname].html and to change each filtered export's title.
>
> So far in my reading of the docs, this does not seem possible. It seems you
> cannot indicate the export result file name.  But I can indicate path.  So
> following is a sample org-publish-project-alist that that filters by tag and
> puts the result in different publishing directories.  But I still can't figure
> out how to change the title on those exported pages.  Can anyone provide me with
> any pointers?
>
> (setq org-publish-project-alist
>       '(
>         ("highlights"
>          :base-directory "~/notes/org/"
>          :base-extension "org"
>          :publishing-directory "~/notes/export"
>          :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-html
>          :select-tags     ("highlight")
>          :include ("index.org")
>          )
>         ("work"
>          :base-directory "~/notes/org/"
>          :base-extension "org"
>          :publishing-directory "~/notes/export/work/"
>          :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-html
>          :select-tags     ("@WORK")
>          :include ("index.org")
>          :exclude "\\.org$"
>          )
>         ("home"
>          :base-directory "~/notes/org/"
>          :base-extension "org"
>          :publishing-directory "~/notes/export/home/"
>          :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-html
>          :select-tags     ("@HOME")
>          :include ("index.org")
>          :exclude "\\.org$"
>          :link-up
>          )
>         ))
>
> I am using org-version 6.33f and Emacs 23.1.9 on OS-X.
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Karl
>
> --
> "Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood” - Steven Covey
>
> paradox1x.org, phillyfuture.org, @kmartino

--
"Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood” - Steven Covey

www.paradox1x.org, www.phillyfuture.org, @kmartino

* Re: One org file, multiple exports, is it possible?
@ 2010-05-23  4:59 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-05-23  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kmartino; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 23, 2010, at 1:46 AM, Karl Martino wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a long time org-mode user, this my first time posting to the
> email list,
> and before I ask my question I first want to say thanks to all those
> who are
> helping maintain and grow this terrific software.
>
> I maintain a single org-mode file with half my life in it.  It
> contains my journal, my task list, contacts, and notes on various
> projects. I
> use tags to indicate what content is associated to what content.
>
> What I would like to do is publish multiple html exports of this
> file, filtered
> by tag.  A file that comprises of journal entries that are tagged for
> work. Another with journal entries that are tagged as personal
> highlights I want
> to take special note of.
>
> This file's path is at ~/notes/org/index.org.  I'd like to export
> the filtered
> version of this file to ~/notes/export/index.html
> ~/notes/export/index_[tagname].html and to change each filtered
> export's title.
>
> So far in my reading of the docs, this does not seem possible. It
> seems you
> cannot indicate the export result file name.  But I can indicate
> path.  So
> following is a sample org-publish-project-alist that that filters by
> tag and
> puts the result in different publishing directories.  But I still
> can't figure
> out how to change the title on those exported pages.  Can anyone
> provide me with
> any pointers?
>
> (setq org-publish-project-alist
>       '(
>         ("highlights"
>          :base-directory "~/notes/org/"
>          :base-extension "org"
>          :publishing-directory "~/notes/export"
>          :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-html
>          :select-tags     ("highlight")
>          :include ("index.org")

I have not tried it, but if you do not have #+TITLE in the buffer,
then
            :title "This is my title"

in the publishing plist might work.  Give it a try.

- Carsten

@ 2010-05-23 12:22   ` Karl Martino
From: Karl Martino @ 2010-05-23 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

Thanks for help, unfortunately I tried ":title" and it is ignored.

The issue with #+TITLE in the buffer is that it is the same file I am
exporting various times, just with different tag filters, and the
title then remains the same for each export, where I want it to
reflect the subset of the file, ie Karl's Work Journal, or Karl's Home
Journal.

A workaround that just occurred to me:

I could write a method that would change the #+TITLE value in the
buffer, then org-reload, before exporting the component in the list.
That should work.

But am I missing something?

Thanks again, org-mode is fantastic and has helped me wrangle a lot of
complexity into something portable and easy to use.  It's been a
lifesaver for me :)

Thanks,

Karl

@ 2010-05-23 15:58     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-05-23 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kmartino; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Karl,

Maybe the following little function will work.  If called from an
org-mode file, it will try to export each subtree, respecting the values
of EXPORT_FILE_NAME and EXPORT_TITLE.

(defun org-export-parts ()
  (interactive)
  (org-map-entries
   (lambda ()
     (outline-mark-subtree)
     (org-export-as-html nil))))

it shouldn't be difficult to augment the above to set exporting options
based on the values of subtree tags.

If this isn't sufficient, and you want really powerful templating of
different classes of html files you could try out jekyll [1], and some
of the org-jekyll solutions [2].

Hope this helps -- Eric

Footnotes:
[1]  http://jekyllrb.com/

[2]  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-jekyll.php

* Re: One org file, multiple exports, is it possible?
@ 2010-05-23 16:17     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-05-23 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kmartino; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 23, 2010, at 2:22 PM, Karl Martino wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> Thanks for help, unfortunately I tried ":title" and it is ignored.

No, it does in fact work, I just tested it.  Here is the setup I used:

(setq org-publish-project-alist
       '(("ttt"
	 :base-directory "~/lib/emacs/work/org-mode/t/pub/src"
	 :base-extension "org"
	 :publishing-directory "~/lib/emacs/work/org-mode/t/pub/target"
	 :section-numbers nil
	 :table-of-contents nil
	 ;;	 :plain-source t
	 ;;	 :htmlized-source t
	 :exclude "-source"
	 :title "Test :title property"
	 :auto-sitemap t
	 :makeindex t
	 :publishing-function (org-publish-org-to-html org-publish-org-to-
org))))

You should *not* have a #+TITLE line in the buffer, and you should
*not* have  subtree marked - then :title is used.

- Carsten

> The issue with #+TITLE in the buffer is that it is the same file I am
> exporting various times, just with different tag filters, and the
> title then remains the same for each export, where I want it to
> reflect the subset of the file, ie Karl's Work Journal, or Karl's Home
> Journal.
>
> A workaround that just occurred to me:
>
> I could write a method that would change the #+TITLE value in the
> buffer, then org-reload, before exporting the component in the list.
> That should work.
>
> But am I missing something?
>
> Thanks again, org-mode is fantastic and has helped me wrangle a lot of
> complexity into something portable and easy to use.  It's been a
> lifesaver for me :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Karl
>
>>> (setq org-publish-project-alist
>>>      '(
>>>        ("highlights"
>>>         :base-directory "~/notes/org/"
>>>         :base-extension "org"
>>>         :publishing-directory "~/notes/export"
>>>         :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-html
>>>         :select-tags     ("highlight")
>>>         :include ("index.org")
>>
>> I have not tried it, but if you do not have #+TITLE in the buffer,
>> then
>>           :title "This is my title"
>>
>> in the publishing plist might work.  Give it a try.
>>
>> - Carsten
>>
>>>         )
>>>        ("work"
>>>         :base-directory "~/notes/org/"
>>>         :base-extension "org"
>>>         :publishing-directory "~/notes/export/work/"
>>>         :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-html
>>>         :select-tags     ("@WORK")
>>>         :include ("index.org")
>>>         :exclude "\\.org$"
>>>         )
>>>        ("home"
>>>         :base-directory "~/notes/org/"
>>>         :base-extension "org"
>>>         :publishing-directory "~/notes/export/home/"
>>>         :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-html
>>>         :select-tags     ("@HOME")
>>>         :include ("index.org")
>>>         :exclude "\\.org$"
>>>         :link-up
>>>         )
>>>        ))

- Carsten

* Re: One org file, multiple exports, is it possible?
@ 2010-05-23 16:31       ` Karl Martino
From: Karl Martino @ 2010-05-23 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, carsten.dominik

Hi,

Ah! This worked once I tried this tip Carsten - thanks!  I should have
realized that the buffer setting was defeating that there.

> You should *not* have a #+TITLE line in the buffer, and you should *not*
> have  subtree marked - then :title is used.

Eric, thanks for the tip as well.  I will check out org-jekyll even
though this worked because producing a blog or some kind of knowledge
base from my single-org-mode-life-file sounds great :)

Thanks,

Karl

--

@ 2010-05-23 18:49         ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-05-23 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kmartino; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, carsten.dominik

Aloha all,

Karl's setup specified keyword arguments for :select-tags but not
for :exclude-tags.  When I tried this setup with only :select-tags it
worked as expected for the select tag that occurs first in the Org-
mode file, but the publishing project defined for the select tag that
occurs second in the Org-mode file did not work as expected. In this
case, trees with both select tags appear in the output file.

I solved my problem by also specifying exclude tags.

Here is the setup that worked for me.

-------- .emacs fragment ----------

   (add-to-list 'org-publish-project-alist
                '("work"
                  :base-directory "~/org/temp/"
                  :base-extension "org"
                  :publishing-directory "~/org/temp/publish-work/"
                  :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-latex
                  :select-tags     ("@WORK")
                  :exclude-tags ("@HOME")
                  :title "Work Notes"
                  :include ("index.org")
                  :exclude "\\.org$"
                  ))

   (add-to-list 'org-publish-project-alist
                '("home"
                  :base-directory "~/org/temp/"
                  :base-extension "org"
                  :publishing-directory "~/org/temp/publish-home/"
                  :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-latex
                  :select-tags     ("@HOME")
                  :exclude-tags ("@WORK")
                  :title "Home Phone"
                  :include ("index.org")
                  :exclude "\\.org$"
                  ))

-------- .emacs fragment ----------

-------- org-mode file ----------
* Work
notes                                                          :@WORK:
This should end up in publish-work.

notes                                                          :@HOME:
This should end up in publish-home.
-------- org-mode file ----------

I'm wondering, is it really possible to get the expected results
specifying only select tags and not exclude tags?

All the best,
Tom

@ 2010-05-23 20:57           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-05-23 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: kmartino, emacs-orgmode

On May 23, 2010, at 8:49 PM, Thomas S. Dye wrote:

> Aloha all,
>
> Karl's setup specified keyword arguments for :select-tags but not
> for :exclude-tags.  When I tried this setup with only :select-tags
> it worked as expected for the select tag that occurs first in the
> Org-mode file, but the publishing project defined for the select tag
> that occurs second in the Org-mode file did not work as expected. In
> this case, trees with both select tags appear in the output file.
>
> I solved my problem by also specifying exclude tags.
>
> Here is the setup that worked for me.
>
> -------- .emacs fragment ----------
>
>  (add-to-list 'org-publish-project-alist
>               '("work"
>                 :base-directory "~/org/temp/"
>                 :base-extension "org"
>                 :publishing-directory "~/org/temp/publish-work/"
>                 :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-latex
>                 :select-tags     ("@WORK")
>                 :exclude-tags ("@HOME")
>                 :title "Work Notes"
>                 :include ("index.org")
>                 :exclude "\\.org$"
>                 ))
>
>  (add-to-list 'org-publish-project-alist
>               '("home"
>                 :base-directory "~/org/temp/"
>                 :base-extension "org"
>                 :publishing-directory "~/org/temp/publish-home/"
>                 :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-latex
>                 :select-tags     ("@HOME")
>                 :exclude-tags ("@WORK")
>                 :title "Home Phone"
>                 :include ("index.org")
>                 :exclude "\\.org$"
>                 ))
>
> -------- .emacs fragment ----------
>
> -------- org-mode file ----------
> * Work
> notes                                                          :@WORK:
> This should end up in publish-work.

> notes                                                          :@HOME:
> This should end up in publish-home.
> -------- org-mode file ----------
>
> I'm wondering, is it really possible to get the expected results
> specifying only select tags and not exclude tags?

Works perfectly fine for me!

Note that changing the publishing alist does not trigger
republishing.  Use C-u with the publishing command...

- Carsten

@ 2010-05-23 22:01             ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-05-23 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: kmartino, emacs-orgmode

Thanks Carsten,

That was it.  It works with just the select tags here, too.

One more query.  I get different export results depending on where I
specify the select tag.  Given the following org-mode file, specifying
the select tag in the file header with #+EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS: @WORK
exports only the tree tagged with @WORK, but specifying the select tag
in the publishing setup with :select-tags ("@WORK"), and without any
specification in the file header, exports two trees, the first
untagged tree and the tree tagged with @WORK.

Is this the expected behavior?

---------- org file -------------

* Untagged notes before tags
Where do these go?

* Work
notes                                                          :@WORK:
This should end up somewhere.

notes                                                          :@HOME:
This should end up somewhere else.

---------- org file -------------

All the best,
Tom

@ 2010-05-24  5:20               ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-05-24  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: kmartino, emacs-orgmode

On May 24, 2010, at 12:01 AM, Thomas S. Dye wrote:

> Thanks Carsten,
>
> That was it.  It works with just the select tags here, too.
>
> One more query.  I get different export results depending on where I
> specify the select tag.  Given the following org-mode file,
> specifying the select tag in the file header with #
> +EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS: @WORK exports only the tree tagged with @WORK,
> but specifying the select tag in the publishing setup with :select-
> tags ("@WORK"), and without any specification in the file header,
> exports two trees, the first untagged tree and the tree tagged with
> @WORK.
>
> Is this the expected behavior?

Of course not. And I cannot reproduce it either.  Maybe you need to
make me an exact test case, with minimal .emacs, and both testcase
files.  Make it as a zip archive, so that I am sure I have the same
amount of whitespace at the beginning of the files etc.

Thanks.

- Carsten

> ---------- org file -------------
>
> * Untagged notes before tags
> Where do these go?
>
> * Work
> notes                                                          :@WORK:
> This should end up somewhere.

> notes                                                          :@HOME:
> This should end up somewhere else.
>
> ---------- org file -------------
>
> All the best,
> Tom
>
> On May 23, 2010, at 10:57 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>

>> On May 23, 2010, at 8:49 PM, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
>>
>>> Aloha all,
>>>
>>> Karl's setup specified keyword arguments for :select-tags but not
>>> for :exclude-tags.  When I tried this setup with only :select-tags
>>> it worked as expected for the select tag that occurs first in the
>>> Org-mode file, but the publishing project defined for the select
>>> tag that occurs second in the Org-mode file did not work as
>>> expected. In this case, trees with both select tags appear in the
>>> output file.
>>>
>>> I solved my problem by also specifying exclude tags.
>>>
>>> Here is the setup that worked for me.
>>>
>>> -------- .emacs fragment ----------
>>>
>>> (add-to-list 'org-publish-project-alist
>>>             '("work"
>>>               :base-directory "~/org/temp/"
>>>               :base-extension "org"
>>>               :publishing-directory "~/org/temp/publish-work/"
>>>               :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-latex
>>>               :select-tags     ("@WORK")
>>>               :exclude-tags ("@HOME")
>>>               :title "Work Notes"
>>>               :include ("index.org")
>>>               :exclude "\\.org$"
>>>               ))
>>>
>>> (add-to-list 'org-publish-project-alist
>>>             '("home"
>>>               :base-directory "~/org/temp/"
>>>               :base-extension "org"
>>>               :publishing-directory "~/org/temp/publish-home/"
>>>               :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-latex
>>>               :select-tags     ("@HOME")
>>>               :exclude-tags ("@WORK")
>>>               :title "Home Phone"
>>>               :include ("index.org")
>>>               :exclude "\\.org$"
>>>               ))
>>>
>>> -------- .emacs fragment ----------
>>>
>>> -------- org-mode file ----------
>>> * Work
>>> notes
>>>                                                           :@WORK:
>>> This should end up in publish-work.

>>> notes
>>>                                                           :@HOME:
>>> This should end up in publish-home.
>>> -------- org-mode file ----------
>>>
>>> I'm wondering, is it really possible to get the expected results
>>> specifying only select tags and not exclude tags?
>>
>> Works perfectly fine for me!
>>
>> Note that changing the publishing alist does not trigger
>> republishing.  Use C-u with the publishing command...
>>
>> - Carsten
>>

>>> All the best,
>>> Tom

>> - Carsten

- Carsten

* Re: One org file, multiple exports, is it possible?
@ 2010-05-24 16:36                 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-05-24 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: kmartino, emacs-orgmode

Aloha Carsten,

Thanks for looking into this.  I'm trying to document the different
ways to export part of an org file to LaTeX in the hope of augmenting
the tutorial on Worg.  I thought I understood the tag selection logic,
so the results I got puzzled me.  Now that I know the expected
behavior, I'll look more closely to see why I'm not getting it.
Hopefully, I'll be able to puzzle it through myself and won't have to
pester you and the list with my idea of a minimal .emacs, etc.  I
appreciate your offer to take another look if I'm not successful.

All the best,
Tom

@ 2010-05-25  3:38                 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-05-25  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: kmartino, emacs-orgmode

Aloha Carsten,

I think I need to know what is meant by "minimal .emacs."

I've poked around quite a bit now and have discovered two things:

1) Two lines in Karl's org-publish-project-alist triggered the
unexpected behavior.  These are the lines with the :include
and :exclude keywords.
2) The unexpected behavior only occurs when org-publish-project-alist
also contains a project of the form ("project-name" :components
("project-name" "project-name" ...)).  Here, I've only checked the
situation where the offending project involves sub-projects that are
not Karl's.

I have two reservations about putting together a "minimal .emacs":

1) I'm using Eric Schulte's literate emacs starter kit, so my
initialization files are split up into many parts, only two of which I
fiddle with.  I'm happily ignorant of what goes on before my two org
configuration files get processed by Eric's code.
2) The org-publish-project-alist variable in my configuration contains
paths that are (probably) unique to my system.

That said, if a minimal .emacs is required, please give me some
direction and I'll do what I can.

@ 2010-05-25  3:50                   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-05-25  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: kmartino, emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

"Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:

> Aloha Carsten,
>
> I think I need to know what is meant by "minimal .emacs."

I have a minimal.emacs which is a stripped down .emacs that only has
what I need to invoke org-mode for reproducing a problem.

,----[ minimal.emacs ]
| (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "~/git/org-mode/lisp"))
| (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.\\(org\\|org_archive\\|txt\\)$" . org-mode))
| (setq org-agenda-files '("/tmp/test.org"))
| (require 'org-install)
| (require 'org-habit)
|
| (global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
| (global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
| (global-set-key "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb)
`----

and I load this with emacs -Q -l ~/minimal.emacs.  I'll normally edit it
to add whatever is needed to reproduce the problem in org-mode.

Using a stripped down minimal .emacs files removes broken custom
settings as the cause of the issue and makes it easy to reproduce for
other people.

HTH,
Bernt

* Re: One org file, multiple exports, is it possible?
@ 2010-05-25 16:20                     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-05-25 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: kmartino, emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Thanks Bernt,

So, "broken custom settings" appear to be the cause of the unexpected
behavior.  Two questions:

1) Do programmers have a name for this situation, where custom
settings seemed to work perfectly for a long time but then failed
noticeably with the introduction of new, correct code into the .emacs?

2) Is there a useful strategy for finding the minimal .emacs that
illustrates the failure?  I might have 100 customizations in the
various starter kit configuration files.  If combinations of
customizations are a possibility, I'm looking at quite a bit of random
experimentation without some kind of strategy.

All the best,
Tom

On May 24, 2010, at 5:50 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:

> "Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:
>
>> Aloha Carsten,
>>
>> I think I need to know what is meant by "minimal .emacs."
>
> I have a minimal.emacs which is a stripped down .emacs that only has
> what I need to invoke org-mode for reproducing a problem.
>
> ,----[ minimal.emacs ]
> | (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "~/git/org-mode/lisp"))
> | (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.\\(org\\|org_archive\\|txt\\)
> $" . org-mode))
> | (setq org-agenda-files '("/tmp/test.org"))
> | (require 'org-install)
> | (require 'org-habit)
> |
> | (global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
> | (global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
> | (global-set-key "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb)
> `----
>
> and I load this with emacs -Q -l ~/minimal.emacs.  I'll normally
> edit it
> to add whatever is needed to reproduce the problem in org-mode.
>
> Using a stripped down minimal .emacs files removes broken custom
> settings as the cause of the issue and makes it easy to reproduce for
> other people.
>
> HTH,
> Bernt

* Re: Re: One org file, multiple exports, is it possible?
@ 2010-05-25 16:52                       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-05-25 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye
  Cc: kmartino, Bernt Hansen, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode,
	Carsten Dominik

Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:

> Thanks Bernt,
>
> So, "broken custom settings" appear to be the cause of the unexpected
> behavior.  Two questions:
>
> 1) Do programmers have a name for this situation, where custom
> settings seemed to work perfectly for a long time but then failed
> noticeably with the introduction of new, correct code into the .emacs?

I don't think so.

> 2) Is there a useful strategy for finding the minimal .emacs that
> illustrates the failure?  I might have 100 customizations in the
> various starter kit configuration files.  If combinations of
> customizations are a possibility, I'm looking at quite a bit of random
> experimentation without some kind of strategy.

Bisection is about the only reasonable strategy, short of oracular
guesswork. I have a single .emacs that's (mostly) a sequence of
(conditional) loads/requires of individual package config files. I just
comment out the whole thing, verify correct operation, and then
uncomment out the first/second half and try again. With 100 packages, 7
cycles will get you down to a single package and then you just do the
same thing within the package config file. Given a reproducer that you
can run in batch mode, this goes fairly quickly.

HTH,
Nick

* Re: Re: One org file, multiple exports, is it possible?
@ 2010-05-25 17:26                       ` Mark Elston
From: Mark Elston @ 2010-05-25 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 5/25/2010 9:20 AM, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
> Thanks Bernt,
>
> So, "broken custom settings" appear to be the cause of the unexpected
> behavior. Two questions:
>
> 1) Do programmers have a name for this situation, where custom settings
> seemed to work perfectly for a long time but then failed noticeably with
> the introduction of new, correct code into the .emacs?

Well, in an organization I used to work at we called it 'bit rot'
though it wasn't necessarily about Emacs ... :)

Mark

* Re: Re: One org file, multiple exports, is it possible?
@ 2010-05-25 17:51                         ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-05-25 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: kmartino, Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Thanks Nick,

I appreciate your frequent servings of sane advice.  I don't think I
have a batch mode reproducer in me, but bisection makes a lot of sense
and the organization of the config files is somewhat logical so I do
have a de facto bisection at hand.

All the best,
Tom

@ 2010-05-25 17:53                         ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-05-25 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Elston; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks Mark,

That's evocative.  Now I'm off to see how I let those bits rot.

All the best,
Tom

@ 2010-05-26 18:42                     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-05-26 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: kmartino, emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Aloha all,

First, many thanks to Carsten, Bernt, Nick and Mark for help with my
recent publishing woes.  After much semi-informed tinkering, I think
I've isolated one problem.  As background, this problem cropped up for
me when I incorporated Karl Martino's setup for exporting parts of an
org file to different targets.

With the following minimal .emacs, org-publish-get-project-from-
filename reports (wrong-type-argument stringp ("index.org")).  This
function is called when I select [P] publish current project from *Org
Export/Publishing Help*. I've included a backtrace below.

I discovered this behavior after I incorporated Karl's publication
project into my lengthy org-publish-projects-alist.  Then, I was
unable to publish any of my projects using [P] publish current
project.  They all returned the same error-- (wrong-type-argument
stringp ("index.org")).

Hopefully, here follow the pertinent details:

Org-mode version 6.36trans (release_6.36.96.g5b68)

dk$ /Applications/emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q -l
~/.minimal.emacs &

---- .minimal.emacs -----
(add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d/src/org/lisp"))
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.\\(org\\|org_archive\\|txt\\)$" .
org-mode))
(setq org-agenda-files '("/tmp/test.org"))
(require 'org-install)
(require 'org-habit)

(global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
(global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
(global-set-key "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb)

                                         ; going non-minimal here on

(require 'org-publish)
(setq org-publish-project-alist
       '(
                                         ; Karl Martino's setup
modified for my paths
	("work"
	 :base-directory "~/org/temp/"
	 :base-extension "org"
	 :publishing-directory "~/org/temp/publish-work/"
	 :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-latex
	 :select-tags ("@WORK")
	 :title "Work Notes"
	 :include ("index.org")
	 :exclude "\\.org$"
	 )
))
---- .minimal.emacs -----

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp
("index.org"))
   string-match(("index.org") "/Users/dk/org/temp/index.org")
   (and i (string-match i filename))
   (or (and i (string-match i filename)) (and (not ...) (string-match
xm filename)))
   (if (or (and i ...) (and ... ...)) (progn (setq project-name ...)
(throw ... project-name)))
   (when (or (and i ...) (and ... ...)) (setq project-name (car prj))
(throw (quote p-found) project-name))
   (let* ((r ...) (b ...) (x ...) (e ...) (i ...) (xm ...)) (when
(or ... ...) (setq project-name ...) (throw ... project-name)))
   (if (plist-get (cdr prj) :components) nil (let*
(... ... ... ... ... ...) (when ... ... ...)))
   (unless (plist-get (cdr prj) :components) (let*
(... ... ... ... ... ...) (when ... ... ...)))
   (while --cl-dolist-temp-- (setq prj (car --cl-dolist-temp--))
(unless (plist-get ... :components) (let* ... ...)) (setq --cl-dolist-
temp-- (cdr --cl-dolist-temp--)))
   (let ((--cl-dolist-temp-- org-publish-project-alist) prj) (while --
cl-dolist-temp-- (setq prj ...) (unless ... ...) (setq --cl-dolist-
temp-- ...)) nil)
   (catch (quote --cl-block-nil--) (let (... prj) (while --cl-dolist-
temp-- ... ... ...) nil))
   (cl-block-wrapper (catch (quote --cl-block-nil--) (let ... ... nil)))
   (block nil (let (... prj) (while --cl-dolist-temp-- ... ... ...)
nil))
   (dolist (prj org-publish-project-alist) (unless (plist-
get ... :components) (let* ... ...)))
   (catch (quote p-found) (dolist (prj org-publish-project-alist)
(unless ... ...)))
   (let* ((filename ...) project-name) (catch (quote p-found)
(dolist ... ...)) (when up (dolist ... ...)) (assoc project-name org-
publish-project-alist))
   org-publish-get-project-from-filename("/Users/dk/org/temp/
index.org" up)
   (let ((project ...) (org-publish-use-timestamps-flag ...)) (if (not
project) (error "File %s is not part of any known project" ...)) (org-
publish project))
   (save-window-excursion (let (... ...) (if ... ...) (org-publish
project)))
   org-publish-current-project(nil)
   call-interactively(org-publish-current-project)
   (if (and bg (nth 2 ass) (not ...) (not ...)) (let (...) (set-
process-sentinel p ...) (message "Background process \"%s\": started"
p)) (if subtree-p (progn ... ...)) (call-interactively (nth 1 ass))
(when (and bpos ...) (let ... ... ... ... ...)))
   (let* ((bg ...) subtree-p (help "[t]   insert the export option
template\n[v]   limit export to visible part of outline tree\n[1]
only export the current subtree\n[SPC] publish enclosing subtree (with
LaTeX_CLASS or EXPORT_FILE_NAME prop)\n\n[a/n/u] export as ASCII/
Latin-1/UTF-8         [A/N/U] to temporary buffer\n\n[h] export as
HTML      [H] to temporary buffer   [R] export region\n[b] export as
HTML and open in browser\n\n[l] export as LaTeX     [L] to temporary
buffer\n[p] export as LaTeX and process to PDF            [d] ... and
open PDF file\n\n[D] export as DocBook   [V] export as DocBook,
process to PDF, and open\n\n[m] export as Freemind mind map\n[x]
export as XOXO\n[g] export using Wes Hardaker's generic exporter\n
\n[i] export current file as iCalendar file\n[I] export all agenda
files as iCalendar files   [c] ...as one combined file\n\n[F] publish
current file          [P] publish current project\n[X] publish a
project...          [E] publish every projects") (cmds ...) r1 r2 ass
(cpos ...) (cbuf ...) bpos) (save-excursion (save-window-
excursion ... ... ... ... ... ... ...)) (and bpos (goto-char bpos))
(setq r2 (if ... ... r1)) (unless (setq ass ...) (error "No command
associated with key %c" r1)) (if (and bg ... ... ...)
(let ... ... ...) (if subtree-p ...) (call-interactively ...)
(when ... ...)))
   org-export(nil)
   call-interactively(org-export nil nil)

@ 2010-05-26 21:37                       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-05-26 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye
  Cc: kmartino, Bernt Hansen, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode,
	Carsten Dominik

Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:

> 	("work"
> 	 :base-directory "~/org/temp/"
> 	 :base-extension "org"
> 	 :publishing-directory "~/org/temp/publish-work/"
> 	 :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-latex
> 	 :select-tags ("@WORK")
> 	 :title "Work Notes"
> 	 :include ("index.org")  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
> 	 :exclude "\\.org$"
> 	 )
> ))
> ---- .minimal.emacs -----
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp
> ("index.org")) <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

This is complaining that ``("index.org")'' is not a string, and indeed
it isn't: it's a list with one element. Should the :include line above
be

        :include "index.org"

perhaps? But I'm shooting from the hip here, so take it with the appropriate
grain of salt.

Nick

* Re: Re: One org file, multiple exports, is it possible?
@ 2010-05-26 22:28                         ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-05-26 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: kmartino, Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

On May 26, 2010, at 11:37 AM, Nick Dokos wrote:

> Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
>

>> 	("work"
>> 	 :base-directory "~/org/temp/"
>> 	 :base-extension "org"
>> 	 :publishing-directory "~/org/temp/publish-work/"
>> 	 :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-latex
>> 	 :select-tags ("@WORK")
>> 	 :title "Work Notes"
>> 	 :include ("index.org")  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>> 	 :exclude "\\.org$"
>> 	 )
>> ))
>> ---- .minimal.emacs -----
>>
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp
>> ("index.org")) <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>
> This is complaining that ``("index.org")'' is not a string, and indeed
> it isn't: it's a list with one element. Should the :include line above
> be
>
>        :include "index.org"
>
> perhaps? But I'm shooting from the hip here, so take it with the
> appropriate
> grain of salt.
>
> Nick

Hi Nick,

The documentation for org-publish-projects-alist suggests
that :include wants a list:

> The :include property may be used to include extra files.  Its
> value may be a list of filenames to include. The filenames are
> considered relative to the base directory.

When I tried :include "index.org" I got this:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument sequencep 105)
   concat("~/org/temp/" 105)
   (expand-file-name (concat base-dir f))

I'm not going to pretend I know what I'm talking about here, but
AFAICT the variable i in the following code needs some attention
before it goes to string-match.  According to the documentation, plist-
get just returns the value assigned to a property (or nil) without
doing anything to it, so i should be a list when it is passed to
string-match.  string-match wants REGEXP here, apparently not as a
list.  I couldn't persuade emacs to cough up the definition of REGEXP,
but my brief forays into the emacs and org-mode source code lead me to
believe it is probably a string.

@ 2010-05-27  1:40                           ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-05-27  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye
  Cc: Bernt Hansen, nicholas.dokos, kmartino, emacs-orgmode,
	Carsten Dominik

Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:

> On May 26, 2010, at 11:37 AM, Nick Dokos wrote:
>     perhaps? But I'm shooting from the hip here, so take it with the appropriate
>     grain of salt.
>

> Hi Nick,
>
> The documentation for org-publish-projects-alist suggests that :include wants a list:
>
>     The :include property may be used to include extra files.  Its
>     value may be a list of filenames to include. The filenames are
>     considered relative to the base directory.
>
> When I tried :include "index.org" I got this:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument sequencep 105)
>   concat("~/org/temp/" 105)
>   (expand-file-name (concat base-dir f))

Yep, shot from the hip and hit my foot. You are right.

> I'm not going to pretend I know what I'm talking about here, but AFAICT the variable i in the following code needs some attention before it goes to
> string-match.  According to the documentation, plist-get just returns the value assigned to a property (or nil) without doing anything to it, so i
> should be a list when it is passed to string-match.  string-match wants REGEXP here, apparently not as a list.  I couldn't persuade emacs to cough up
> the definition of REGEXP, but my brief forays into the emacs and org-mode source code lead me to believe it is probably a string.
>
>     (defun org-publish-get-project-from-filename (filename &optional up)
>       "Return the project FILENAME belongs."
>       (let* ((filename (expand-file-name filename))
>     project-name)
>
>         (catch 'p-found
>           (dolist (prj org-publish-project-alist)
>     (unless (plist-get (cdr prj) :components)
>      ;; [[info:org:Selecting%20files]] shows how this is supposed to work:
>      (let* ((r (plist-get (cdr prj) :recursive))
>     (b (expand-file-name (plist-get (cdr prj) :base-directory)))
>     (x (plist-get (cdr prj) :base-extension))
>     (e (plist-get (cdr prj) :exclude))
>     (i (plist-get (cdr prj) :include))
>     (xm (concat "^" b (if r ".+" "[^/]+") "\\.\\(" x "\\)$")))
>        (when (or
>       (and i (string-match i filename))

I think you are right that there is a problem here. Here is an excerpt
from the relevant commit:

,----
| commit 339d6fe4bbf7b9858c6323d01f32d0c73a4cd3a8
| Author: Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de>
| Date:   Thu May 13 13:43:53 2010 +0200
|
|     Publishing, cashing and timestamps
|
|     Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
|     > Hi Sebastian,
|     >
|     > sorry for being slow.  Could you do me a favor and send me the cache patch one
|     > more time - if possible updated to the current master.
|     >
|     > I am just not sure I have the right patch in my hands.
|
|     Hi Carsten,
|
|     no problem. The patch is attached.
|
|     Here is a list of my ChangeLog entries, redated to today:
|
|     2010-05-13  Sebastian Rose  <sebastian_rose@gmx.de>

|     	* org-publish.el (org-publish-get-project-from-filename) does
|     	not depend on a list of files anymore. Instead of laoding all
|     	files of all, we walk `org-publish-project-alist' until we
|     	find a project, where the properties :base-directory, :recursive,
|     	:base-extension, :include and :exclude match.

`----

Maybe Sebastian (I added him to the CC:) can take a look?

Thanks,
Nick

* Re: Re: One org file, multiple exports, is it possible?
@ 2010-05-28  3:40                         ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-05-28  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: kmartino, Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Aloha all,

The problems I described in this thread were apparently not due to
"broken custom settings."  After pulling the latest org-mode just now
the problems are gone, even though the custom settings haven't changed.

It's pleasing to regain some confidence in my non-minimal .emacs.

Thanks to the programmers for your good efforts.