* refiling with helm
@ 2015-02-28  6:19 Xebar Saram
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Xebar Saram @ 2015-02-28  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org mode

Hi guys

I was wondering if anyone uses helm for refiling org capture data. and if
so can anyone share his methods/setup?

googling for it didnt yield to many results (especially for people like me
who dont know to code :))

thx

* Re: refiling with helm
@ 2015-03-01  8:13 ` Stefan-W. Hahn
From: Stefan-W. Hahn @ 2015-03-01  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode

Mail von Xebar Saram, Sat, 28 Feb 2015 at 08:19:17 +0200:

Hello,

> I was wondering if anyone uses helm for refiling org capture data. and if
> so can anyone share his methods/setup?

I switched from ido to helm around last christmas and it is hard to retrain
my fingers and habbits...

Here is, what I'm doing with refiling with helm:

#+BEGIN_SRC elisp

  (defun helm-refile-completing-read (orig-func prompt collection &optional predicate require-match
                                                initial-input hist def inherit-input-method)
    "Completing function for org-refile"
    (helm-completing-read-default-1
     prompt collection predicate require-match
     initial-input hist def inherit-input-method
     "org-refile" nil t)
    )

  (advice-add 'org-olpath-completing-read :around #'helm-refile-completing-read)

#+END_SRC

With kind regards,
Stefan

--
Stefan-W. Hahn                          It is easy to make things.
                                        It is hard to make things simple.

* Re: refiling with helm
@ 2015-03-01  8:18   ` Stefan-W. Hahn
From: Stefan-W. Hahn @ 2015-03-01  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode

Mail von Stefan-W. Hahn, Sun, 01 Mar 2015 at 09:13:26 +0100:

Hello,

sorry, on addition:

> #+BEGIN_SRC elisp

  (setq org-completion-use-ido nil
        org-completion-use-iswitchb nil
        org-refile-use-outline-path nil
        org-completion-handler nil)

>   (defun helm-refile-completing-read (orig-func prompt collection &optional predicate require-match
>                                                 initial-input hist def inherit-input-method)
>     "Completing function for org-refile"
>     (helm-completing-read-default-1
>      prompt collection predicate require-match
>      initial-input hist def inherit-input-method
>      "org-refile" nil t)
>     )
>
>   (advice-add 'org-olpath-completing-read :around #'helm-refile-completing-read)
>
> #+END_SRC

With kind regards,
Stefan

--

@ 2015-03-01  8:53 ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2015-03-01  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 08:19:17AM +0200, Xebar Saram wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone uses helm for refiling org capture data. and if
> so can anyone share his methods/setup?
>
> googling for it didnt yield to many results (especially for people like me
> who dont know to code :))

I tried using the patch mentioned in
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/87651. However, I
encountered some problems. The main one was that completion wasn't
showing all possible targets. I went back to using ido for
refile. However, I wold be interested if someone has got this to work.
--
Best wishes,

Ian.

* Re: refiling with helm
@ 2015-03-01 16:17     ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2015-03-01 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan-W. Hahn; +Cc: Xebar Saram, org mode

"Stefan-W. Hahn" <stefan.hahn@s-hahn.de> wrote:
[...]
> sorry, on addition:
>> #+BEGIN_SRC elisp
>
>   (setq org-completion-use-ido nil
>         org-completion-use-iswitchb nil
>         org-refile-use-outline-path nil
>         org-completion-handler nil)
>
>>   (defun helm-refile-completing-read (orig-func prompt collection &optional predicate require-match
>>                                                 initial-input hist def inherit-input-method)
>>     "Completing function for org-refile"
>>     (helm-completing-read-default-1
>>      prompt collection predicate require-match
>>      initial-input hist def inherit-input-method
>>      "org-refile" nil t)
>>     )
>>
>>   (advice-add 'org-olpath-completing-read :around #'helm-refile-completing-read)
>>
>> #+END_SRC

Are you sure the advice is necessary?  If either
org-refile-use-outline-path (as above) or
org-outline-path-complete-in-steps is nil, it doesn't seem that
org-olpath-completing-read will be called.  The relevant part of
org-refile-get-location (master, f8731ea) is

    (cfunc (if (and org-refile-use-outline-path
                    org-outline-path-complete-in-steps)
               'org-olpath-completing-read
             'org-icompleting-read))

Then, if org-completion-use-ido and org-completion-use-iswitchb are nil,
org-icompleting-read will use completing-read, which helm-mode should be
able to override.

So, given the default values, I think the only setup needed to get
generic helm completion is

    (setq org-outline-path-complete-in-steps nil)

    (require 'helm)
    (require 'helm-config)
    (helm-mode 1)

However, I'm not an experienced helm user, so perhaps others are
noticing issues that I'm not.

--
Kyle

* Re: refiling with helm
@ 2015-03-02 17:28 ` Leo Ufimtsev
From: Leo Ufimtsev @ 2015-03-02 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode

I found that changing the default refiling targets made refiling useful for me.

By default, only first level headings show up.

I have a customized config so that all my org files show up:

(setq myvar/org-dir "~/git/LeoUfimtsev.github.io/org/")

(setq myvar/org-files (file-expand-wildcards (concat myvar/org-dir "*.org")))
...customize..:

'(org-refile-targets
(quote
((org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 10)
(nil :maxlevel . 10)
(myvar/org-files :maxlevel . 10))))

My notes are somewhat cryptic, but here is a link if of use:

http://leoufimtsev.github.io./org/emacs.html#sec-14-16-3

Leo Ufimtsev | Intern Software Engineer @ Eclipse Team

@ 2015-03-04 14:54       ` Stefan-W. Hahn
From: Stefan-W. Hahn @ 2015-03-04 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: Xebar Saram, org mode

Mail von Kyle Meyer, Sun, 01 Mar 2015 at 11:17:47 -0500:
> "Stefan-W. Hahn" <stefan.hahn@s-hahn.de> wrote:

> So, given the default values, I think the only setup needed to get
> generic helm completion is
>
>     (setq org-outline-path-complete-in-steps nil)
>
>     (require 'helm)
>     (require 'helm-config)
>     (helm-mode 1)

Yes, you are right. I tested it and it worked.

Thanks
Stefan

--

@ 2015-03-05  5:50         ` Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2015-03-05  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan-W. Hahn; +Cc: Kyle Meyer, org mode

thank you all, most of the code here was overkill for me (im very
un-technical :)) but i found the last bit of code:
>     (setq org-outline-path-complete-in-steps nil)
>
>     (require 'helm)
>     (require 'helm-config)
>     (helm-mode 1)

to work great for me

the only problem remaining is that it seems it does not give me refile
option for all my agenda files just a few (which i cant understand why it
chooses these). i have this in my refile config:

(setq org-goto-max-level 10)

also i have this in my config

(setq org-agenda-files '("~/org/files/agenda/"))

what am i missing here?

thx alot!

@ 2015-03-05 15:13           ` Leo Ufimtsev
From: Leo Ufimtsev @ 2015-03-05 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: Kyle Meyer, org mode, Stefan-W. Hahn

Hello Xebar,

I had the same issue. I used the file-expand-wildcards function to make a list of all my org-mode files.

The only thing is that I have to reload my .emacs when adding org files for refile to work properly.

@ 2015-03-06  2:17             ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2015-03-06  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2015-03-06T02:13:41+1100, Leo Ufimtsev <lufimtse@redhat.com>
said:

 LU> Hello Xebar,

 LU> I had the same issue. I used the file-expand-wildcards
 function LU> to make a list of all my org-mode files.

 LU> The only thing is that I have to reload my .emacs when adding
 org LU> files for refile to work properly.

You shouldn't need to do that; once you've added a new Org file,
you can just move point to the end of the `(setq myvar/org-files
...` s-expression, and press C-x C-e (`eval-last-sexp`). That
should cause the `setq` to be re-evaluated, such that the new file
becomes part of the value of the `myvar/org-files` variable.

Alexis.