* Init.el need just for org-mode?
@ 2022-11-02 17:31 Renato Pontefice
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Renato Pontefice @ 2022-11-02 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I’m sorry for this simply question, but I’m starting using emacs and org-mode and I made some confusion.

Init.el

Need just for org -mode? Not for emacs right?

Thank you

Renato

* Re: Init.el need just for org-mode?
@ 2022-11-02 17:36 ` Jude DaShiell
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2022-11-02 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Renato Pontefice, emacs-orgmode

.emacs could be used for orgmode as well as init.el.  I have all my
orgmode stuff in my .emacs.
What I don't yet know are any advantages of using init.el as opposed to
.emacs.

Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com> "There are four boxes to be used in
defense of liberty:
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)

.

@ 2022-11-02 17:45   ` Renato Pontefice
From: Renato Pontefice @ 2022-11-02 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Maybe I’m not so skilled to emacs. I’ve found org-mode that do things that I find useful. I speak about init.el because I think this is the place where I can set some things to do with org-mode, i.e. Can I set deadline to view in emacs without org-mode?I’m simply looking for a good PIM that I can customize with a simple text file…

Renato

@ 2022-11-02 19:24   ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2022-11-02 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Nov 02, 2022 at 01:36:00PM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> .emacs could be used for orgmode as well as init.el.  I have all my
> orgmode stuff in my .emacs.
> What I don't yet know are any advantages of using init.el as opposed to
> .emacs.

I switched (long ago) from .emacs to init.el. The reason was just
having one top-level directory (.emacs.d) in my home directory
where all "the other local emacs-y stuff" goes.

I also separated custom.el out, to give customize an own file to
chew on: it's happier this way :-)

(I have lots of other things in .emacs.d, neatly packaged in different
little boxes -- oops, there they are, again ;-)

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Init.el need just for org-mode?
@ 2022-11-02 19:28     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2022-11-02 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Nov 02, 2022 at 06:45:36PM +0100, Renato Pontefice wrote:
> Maybe I’m not so skilled to emacs. I’ve found org-mode that do things that I find useful. I speak about init.el because I think this is the place where I can set some things to do with org-mode, i.e. Can I set deadline to view in emacs without org-mode?I’m simply looking for a good PIM that I can customize with a simple text file…

It's all the same. Emacs looks for an ~/.emacs and for ~/.emacs.d/init.el
They are just two alternatives with slightly different flavour, but the
same function. (But take into account that I have no clue how/where those
things live under Windows).

I'd propose to start with an empty ~/.emacs (or ~/.emacs.d/init.el) and
only put things in there when you are convinced that you need them. Otherwise
you'll never know for sure what they are doing.

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Init.el need just for org-mode?
@ 2022-11-02 20:15     ` Renato Pontefice
From: Renato Pontefice @ 2022-11-02 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

are You telling that you put more .el files on .emacs.d folder, each one contain some customization of emacs (or org-mode?)
This is interesting for me.

Renato

> Il giorno 2 nov 2022, alle ore 20:24, tomas@tuxteam.de ha scritto:
>
> On Wed, Nov 02, 2022 at 01:36:00PM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
>> .emacs could be used for orgmode as well as init.el.  I have all my
>> orgmode stuff in my .emacs.
>> What I don't yet know are any advantages of using init.el as opposed to
>> .emacs.
>
> I switched (long ago) from .emacs to init.el. The reason was just
> having one top-level directory (.emacs.d) in my home directory
> where all "the other local emacs-y stuff" goes.
>
> I also separated custom.el out, to give customize an own file to
> chew on: it's happier this way :-)
>
> (I have lots of other things in .emacs.d, neatly packaged in different
> little boxes -- oops, there they are, again ;-)
>
> Cheers

* Re: Init.el need just for org-mode?
@ 2022-11-02 20:29 ` Charles Millar
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Charles Millar @ 2022-11-02 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 11/2/22 13:31, Renato Pontefice wrote:
> I’m sorry for this simply question, but I’m starting using emacs and org-mode and I made some confusion.
>
> Init.el
>
> Need just for org -mode? Not for emacs right?

You  may use init.el (or .emacs of .emacs.d/init.el) file for all of
emacs.not just Org mode.

For instance my init.el includes settings for the display, printer
selection, what spelling package to use,  and others.

Is also is used to load packages that are not included in the "basic"
emacs distribution (which contains quite a few).

HTH.

Charlie Millar

* Re: Init.el need just for org-mode?
@ 2022-11-02 20:33 ` Charles Millar
From: Charles Millar @ 2022-11-02 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 11/2/22 13:31, Renato Pontefice wrote:
> I’m sorry for this simply question, but I’m starting using emacs and org-mode and I made some confusion.
>
> Init.el
>
> Need just for org -mode? Not for emacs right?
>
> Thank you
>
> Renato
Forgot to mention, and you may already be aware of this,

use

C-h v user-init-file

to find your init.el file

* Re: Init.el need just for org-mode?
@ 2022-11-03  5:35       ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2022-11-03  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Nov 02, 2022 at 09:15:04PM +0100, Renato Pontefice wrote:
> are You telling that you put more .el files on .emacs.d folder, each one contain some customization of emacs (or org-mode?)
> This is interesting for me.

No. By default, Emacs just loads ~/.emacs.d/init.el /or/ ~/.emacs.

Everything else can be arranged from there. For example, to split
out the custom.el file (where customize writes its stuff), I have
those two lines in my ~/.emacs.d/init.el:

  (setq custom-file "~/.emacs.d/custom.el")
  (load custom-file)

Then, I have a subdirectory of ~/.emacs.d (concretely: ~/.emacs.d/lisp)
where I keep all my local little things I make myself. To be able to
easily load those without always naming the full path, I have in my
~/.emacs.d/init.el:

  (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/lisp")

And so on.

Still I propose you start with an empty init file. Once you find a
thing you /want/ your Emacs to do always at start, you can start
populating your ~/.emacs or ~/.emacs.d/init.el (each approach has
some up- and downsides, but that's not so important: you'll find
out and you'll be able to switch easily).

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Init.el need just for org-mode?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-11-03 14:04 ` Quiliro Ordóñez
From: Quiliro Ordóñez @ 2022-11-03 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

El 2022-11-02 12:31, Renato Pontefice escribió:
> I’m sorry for this simply question, but I’m starting using emacs and
> org-mode and I made some confusion.
>
> Init.el
>
> Need just for org -mode? Not for emacs right?

Did you read the Emacs manual `C-h r' or the Org manual `C-h i d m Org
Mode <RETURN>' ?

* Re: Init.el need just for org-mode?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-11-03 15:12 ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2022-11-03 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Renato Pontefice, emacs-orgmode

On 03/11/2022 00:31, Renato Pontefice wrote:
> Init.el
>
> Need just for org -mode? Not for emacs right?

No, in the init file you may adjust other Emacs settings as well
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Init-File.html

To avoid syntax errors you may use easy customization interface as much
as possible. It is available from "Options" menu or from variable docs
(C-h v). It is even possible to add comments explaining the purpose of
changes.

Do not forget to regularly backup your init file.