* Adding path and file name into file links
@ 2007-11-18  8:39 Graham Smith
From: Graham Smith @ 2007-11-18  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

When adding a file link, is there some way of searching for the file you
want to add while in the file link and then inserting the path and file name
of the found file rather than having to type the whole thing in.

Or alternatively, can you search for the file with dired and then copy and
paste the path from dired into the file link.

Thanks,

Graham

* Re: Adding path and file name into file links
@ 2007-11-18 10:44 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-11-18 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Graham Smith" <myotisone@gmail.com> writes:

> When adding a file link, is there some way of searching for the file you
> want to add while in the file link and then inserting the path and file
> name of the found file rather than having to type the whole thing in.

C-u C-c C-l to find the file, then RET RET to insert it with its name as
the default description.

> Or alternatively, can you search for the file with dired and then copy
> and paste the path from dired into the file link.

I'm not sure of what you mean.

The usual way is to call `org-store-link' (`C-c l' here) on a file in
dired then to insert this link back with `org-insert-link' (C-c C-l).

Does that help?

If you want to create a list of links from dired and copy this list to
the kill-ring, maybe you can use something like this as well:

(defun my-copy-dired-files-in-kill-ring ()
  "Copy files names in the kill ring."
  (interactive)
  (let ((files (dired-map-over-marks (dired-get-filename) nil)))
    (kill-new
     (mapconcat
      (lambda (f)
	(concat "[[file:" f "]["
		(file-name-nondirectory f) "]]"))
      files "\n"))
    (message "%d Org links copied to the kill-ring" (length files))))

--
Bastien

* Re: Adding path and file name into file links
@ 2007-11-18 11:21   ` Graham Smith
From: Graham Smith @ 2007-11-18 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien,

Thanks, the latter does exactly what I want, obviously a terminology thing
confusing my question.

With Explorer in Windows I can right click on a file and select  copy file
name to the clipboard which copies and the path and file name to the
clipboard. I can then paste the path and file name into any other program.
And  'org-store-link' seems to provide the same facility with dired and
Org-mode/

However,  I cant get  C-u C-c C-l  to work.

I still seem to need to type in the file path and file name, rather than
have the ability to search for a file. Presumably I am missing the obvious.

Thanks,

Graham

@ 2007-11-19  3:04     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-11-19  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Graham Smith" <myotisone@gmail.com> writes:

> However, I cant get C-u C-c C-l to work.
>
> I still seem to need to type in the file path and file name, rather
> than have the ability to search for a file.

I you want to *search* for a file in dired then copy this file into the
Emacs kill-ring, then you can use the function I wrote.

I you know where is the file and want to link to it, then C-u C-c C-l
should be enough.  You will still have to do type something but it's not
a lot of work, especially because TAB will suggest possible completion.

> Presumably I am missing the obvious.

Just remember Org is an Emacs mode, not a W32 feature :)

--
Bastien

* Re: Adding path and file name into file links
@ 2007-11-19  7:47       ` Graham Smith
From: Graham Smith @ 2007-11-19  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode