* protect slash - suppress markup
@ 2012-01-05 11:37 Lasse Bombien
From: Lasse Bombien @ 2012-01-05 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

first of all: thanks for org-mode. I'm still new to it but love it already.

Now, I need to find a way to produce sentences like "The phonemes /l/ and /n/ …" in my exported documents. However, org-mode of course transforms strings enclosed in slashes to emphasized text. This is usually great, but in my area slashes are used as brackets for phonological transcripts. Is there a way to locally suppress slashes from being interpreted as markup characters (I tried backslashing and double slashes…) or an entirely different way to accomplish this (I tried: #+MACRO: phonem /$1/ …)?

I looked in the manual and the list archive but could find anything. If I missed something, I apologize.

Thanks in advance,
Lasse

* Re: protect slash - suppress markup
@ 2012-01-05 15:30 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2012-01-05 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lasse Bombien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Lasse Bombien <lasse@phonetik.uni-muenchen.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> first of all: thanks for org-mode. I'm still new to it but love it already.
>
> Now, I need to find a way to produce sentences like "The phonemes /l/
> and /n/ …" in my exported documents. However, org-mode of course
> transforms strings enclosed in slashes to emphasized text. This is
> usually great, but in my area slashes are used as brackets for
> phonological transcripts. Is there a way to locally suppress slashes
> from being interpreted as markup characters (I tried backslashing and
> double slashes…) or an entirely different way to accomplish this (I
> tried: #+MACRO: phonem /$1/ …)?
>
> I looked in the manual and the list archive but could find
> anything. If I missed something, I apologize.

During export you can turn this off

Regard,
Bernt

* Re: protect slash - suppress markup
@ 2012-01-05 15:32   ` Carson Chittom
From: Carson Chittom @ 2012-01-05 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> Lasse Bombien <lasse@phonetik.uni-muenchen.de> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> first of all: thanks for org-mode. I'm still new to it but love it already.
>>
>> Now, I need to find a way to produce sentences like "The phonemes /l/
>> and /n/ …" in my exported documents. However, org-mode of course
>> transforms strings enclosed in slashes to emphasized text. This is
>> usually great, but in my area slashes are used as brackets for
>> phonological transcripts. Is there a way to locally suppress slashes
>> from being interpreted as markup characters (I tried backslashing and
>> double slashes…) or an entirely different way to accomplish this (I
>> tried: #+MACRO: phonem /$1/ …)?
>>
>> I looked in the manual and the list archive but could find
>> anything. If I missed something, I apologize.
>
> During export you can turn this off

But wouldn't that turn off, for example, *bolding* also?

* Re: protect slash - suppress markup
@ 2012-01-05 15:35 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-01-05 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lasse Bombien; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Lasse Bombien <lasse@phonetik.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> first of all: thanks for org-mode. I'm still new to it but love it already.
>
> Now, I need to find a way to produce sentences like "The phonemes /l/ and /n/ …" in my exported documents. However, org-mode of course transforms strings enclosed in slashes to emphasized text. This is usually great, but in my area slashes are used as brackets for phonological transcripts. Is there a way to locally suppress slashes from being interpreted as markup characters (I tried backslashing and double slashes…) or an entirely different way to accomplish this (I tried: #+MACRO: phonem /$1/ …)?
>
> I looked in the manual and the list archive but could find anything. If I missed something, I apologize.

Check the variable org-emphasis-alist.

Nick

* Re: protect slash - suppress markup
@ 2012-01-05 15:49     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2012-01-05 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carson Chittom; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carson Chittom <carson@wistly.net> writes:

> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:
>
>> Lasse Bombien <lasse@phonetik.uni-muenchen.de> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> first of all: thanks for org-mode. I'm still new to it but love it already.
>>>
>>> Now, I need to find a way to produce sentences like "The phonemes /l/
>>> and /n/ …" in my exported documents. However, org-mode of course
>>> transforms strings enclosed in slashes to emphasized text. This is
>>> usually great, but in my area slashes are used as brackets for
>>> phonological transcripts. Is there a way to locally suppress slashes
>>> from being interpreted as markup characters (I tried backslashing and
>>> double slashes…) or an entirely different way to accomplish this (I
>>> tried: #+MACRO: phonem /$1/ …)?
>>>
>>> I looked in the manual and the list archive but could find
>>> anything. If I missed something, I apologize.
>>
>> During export you can turn this off

> But wouldn't that turn off, for example, *bolding* also?

Yes it would.  See Nick's answer about org-emphasis-alist.

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: protect slash - suppress markup
@ 2012-01-06 11:03       ` Lasse Bombien