* Two bugs
@ 2007-05-30 14:45 Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-05-30 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear Carsen,

1. unnecessary point movement

When 'S-tab' (visibility cycling), the `point' (cursor) will be moved to
the first headline, which will be a surprise to users. I think the
movement should be kept as minimal as possible i.e. it should be kept
within the tree the `point' is originally in.

This annoyance becomes noticeable when the file is big such as when
using a single .org file for GTD.

2. inconsistent key binding definitions

There are only a few places where the key bindings are defined by
`define-key' and the rest are done by `org-defkey'.

Can those define-key be replaced by org-defkey?

* Re: Two bugs
@ 2007-05-30 15:24 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-05-30 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 30, 2007, at 16:45, Leo wrote:

> Dear Carsen,
>
> 1. unnecessary point movement
>
> When 'S-tab' (visibility cycling), the `point' (cursor) will be moved
> the first headline, which will be a surprise to users. I think the
> movement should be kept as minimal as possible i.e. it should be kept
> within the tree the `point' is originally in.
>
> This annoyance becomes noticeable when the file is big such as when
> using a single .org file for GTD.

This is clearly a matter of taste.  Certainly the cursor
should be moved to a visible location, would you agree?
The motivation for the current behavior is:  If you switch
to overview mode, you probably want to see as much of the file
as possible, so my instinct was to put it back to the first heading.
But maybe you are right that this is not good if there are
many screens full of top level headings......

> 2. inconsistent key binding definitions
>
> There are only a few places where the key bindings are defined by
> `define-key' and the rest are done by `org-defkey'.
>
> Can those define-key be replaced by org-defkey?

There are exactly 2 (not counting removing the outline menus...)

    (define-key org-mode-map (kbd "<backtab>") 'org-shifttab)
    (define-key org-mode-map "\C-a" 'org-beginning-of-line)

The second replaces the beginning-of-line comment, my feeling was
that this one should not go through org-defkey.  The first one I did
fix now.

- Carsten

* Re: Two bugs
@ 2007-05-31  0:26   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-05-31  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

----- Carsten Dominik (2007-05-30) wrote:-----

> On May 30, 2007, at 16:45, Leo wrote:
>
>> Dear Carsen,
>>
>> 1. unnecessary point movement
>>
>> When 'S-tab' (visibility cycling), the `point' (cursor) will be moved
>> to the first headline, which will be a surprise to users. I think the
>> movement should be kept as minimal as possible i.e. it should be kept
>> within the tree the `point' is originally in.
>>
>> This annoyance becomes noticeable when the file is big such as when
>> using a single .org file for GTD.
>

> This is clearly a matter of taste.  Certainly the cursor should be
> moved to a visible location, would you agree?

Yes, that is convenient.

> The motivation for the current behavior is: If you switch to overview
> mode, you probably want to see as much of the file as possible, so my
> instinct was to put it back to the first heading.  But maybe you are
> right that this is not good if there are many screens full of top
> level headings......

It is also INCONVENIENT when each top level has a lot of level 2
entries. For example when you are looking at a subtree and suddenly want
to see an overview of the document, you often want to get back to the
original subtree after visibility cycling.

>> 2. inconsistent key binding definitions
>>
>> There are only a few places where the key bindings are defined by
>> `define-key' and the rest are done by `org-defkey'.
>>
>> Can those define-key be replaced by org-defkey?
>
> There are exactly 2 (not counting removing the outline menus...)
>
>    (define-key org-mode-map (kbd "<backtab>") 'org-shifttab)
>    (define-key org-mode-map "\C-a" 'org-beginning-of-line)
>
> The second replaces the beginning-of-line comment, my feeling was
> that this one should not go through org-defkey.  The first one I did
> fix now.
>
> - Carsten

Thank you.

* Re: Re: Two bugs
@ 2007-05-31 14:39     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-05-31 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 31, 2007, at 2:26, Leo wrote:
>> This is clearly a matter of taste.  Certainly the cursor should be
>> moved to a visible location, would you agree?
>
> Yes, that is convenient.
>
>> The motivation for the current behavior is: If you switch to overview
>> mode, you probably want to see as much of the file as possible, so my
>> instinct was to put it back to the first heading.  But maybe you are
>> right that this is not good if there are many screens full of top
>> level headings......
>
> It is also INCONVENIENT when each top level has a lot of level 2
> entries. For example when you are looking at a subtree and suddenly
> want
> to see an overview of the document, you often want to get back to the
> original subtree after visibility cycling.

I agree, so this will be fixed.

Thanks.

- Carsten

* Re: Two bugs
@ 2007-05-31 14:47       ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-05-31 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

----- Carsten Dominik (2007-05-31) wrote:-----

>>> The motivation for the current behavior is: If you switch to
>>> overview mode, you probably want to see as much of the file as
>>> possible, so my instinct was to put it back to the first heading.
>>> But maybe you are right that this is not good if there are many
>>> screens full of top level headings......
>>
>> It is also INCONVENIENT when each top level has a lot of level 2
>> entries. For example when you are looking at a subtree and suddenly
>> want to see an overview of the document, you often want to get back
>> to the original subtree after visibility cycling.
>
> I agree, so this will be fixed.
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Carsten

I am looking forward to this ;)

* Re: Re: Two bugs
@ 2007-05-31 17:05         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-05-31 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 31, 2007, at 16:47, Leo wrote:

>>> It is also INCONVENIENT when each top level has a lot of level 2
>>> entries. For example when you are looking at a subtree and suddenly
>>> want to see an overview of the document, you often want to get back
>>> to the original subtree after visibility cycling.

However, we agreed that the cursor should be moved to a visible
location.  This means that it will be in a top-level headline
after cycling through overview.  Are you saying that you would
prefer to keep the cursor exactly at its position?  Or maybe I
should push a mark before switching to overview...

- Carsten

* Re: Two bugs
@ 2007-05-31 17:43           ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-05-31 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> However, we agreed that the cursor should be moved to a visible
> location.  This means that it will be in a top-level headline after
> cycling through overview.

Agree.

> Are you saying that you would prefer to keep the cursor exactly at its
> position?  Or maybe I should push a mark before switching to
> overview...

The behavior in outline-mode seems desirable.

i.e. if the cursor is original inside a body of a headline when the body
is hided the cursor should stay in that headline. The principle is
trying to minimize the movement of the cursor.