* beamer export
@ 2010-08-19 15:16 Antony Ware
From: Antony Ware @ 2010-08-19 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I've been having a problem exporting to beamer. I've now found the problem and fixed it, but it was (to my mind) something pretty obscure, and I think it might be of interest to the list, at least as a salutary tale.

When I opened an org file such as the example beamer presentation from the manual (section 12.6.6) and executed C-c C-e d, it kept generating a .tex file with an article document class, instead of the expected beamer class.

After a few days of frustrated searching through the manual and tutorials, and this list, for any clues, I found some advice to run something like

/usr/bin/emacs -Q -l test.el

with a series of versions of test.el progressively approximating my .emacs file. I was expecting the problem to lie in one of my org- or latex-specific settings, but eventually found the cause of the problem to be that the variable

case-fold-search

was being set to nil (its default value) as one of my custom-set-variables. I don't remember why. Anyway, according to the information from C-h v, this makes the setting buffer-local, and for some reason that fouled up the beamer export. When I commented out that line, everything worked as advertised.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who could shed light on why that might be.

Cheers,

Tony
------
I am running Emacs 23.1.96 (9.0), and org-mode 7.01g. I'm using MacTeX 2009.

* Re: beamer export
@ 2010-08-19 21:06 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-08-19 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antony Ware; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Aug 19, 2010, at 5:16 PM, Antony Ware wrote:

> I've been having a problem exporting to beamer. I've now found the
> problem and fixed it, but it was (to my mind) something pretty
> obscure, and I think it might be of interest to the list, at least
> as a salutary tale.
>
> When I opened an org file such as the example beamer presentation
> from the manual (section 12.6.6) and executed C-c C-e d, it kept
> generating a .tex file with an article document class, instead of
> the expected beamer class.
>
> After a few days of frustrated searching through the manual and
> tutorials, and this list, for any clues, I found some advice to run
> something like
>
> /usr/bin/emacs -Q -l test.el
>
> with a series of versions of test.el progressively approximating
> my .emacs file. I was expecting the problem to lie in one of my org-
> or latex-specific settings, but eventually found the cause of the
> problem to be that the variable
>
> case-fold-search
>
> was being set to nil (its default value) as one of my custom-set-
> variables. I don't remember why. Anyway, according to the
> information from C-h v, this makes the setting buffer-local, and for
> some reason that fouled up the beamer export. When I commented out
> that line, everything worked as advertised.
>
> I'd be interested to hear from anyone who could shed light on why
> that might be.

Well,

apparently Org does do a search that relies on case-fold-search
being t.  Normally when this is the case
I try to set this explicitly to t during the function call.
Can you make a minimal example with your setup and a small file which
reproduced the error?

- Carsten

* Re: beamer export
@ 2010-08-19 21:20   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-08-19 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Antony Ware, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Aug 19, 2010, at 11:06 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2010, at 5:16 PM, Antony Ware wrote:
>
>> I've been having a problem exporting to beamer. I've now found the
>> problem and fixed it, but it was (to my mind) something pretty
>> obscure, and I think it might be of interest to the list, at least
>> as a salutary tale.
>>
>> When I opened an org file such as the example beamer presentation
>> from the manual (section 12.6.6) and executed C-c C-e d, it kept
>> generating a .tex file with an article document class, instead of
>> the expected beamer class.
>>
>> After a few days of frustrated searching through the manual and
>> tutorials, and this list, for any clues, I found some advice to run
>> something like
>>
>> /usr/bin/emacs -Q -l test.el
>>
>> with a series of versions of test.el progressively approximating
>> my .emacs file. I was expecting the problem to lie in one of my
>> org- or latex-specific settings, but eventually found the cause of
>> the problem to be that the variable
>>
>> case-fold-search
>>
>> was being set to nil (its default value) as one of my custom-set-
>> variables. I don't remember why. Anyway, according to the
>> information from C-h v, this makes the setting buffer-local, and
>> for some reason that fouled up the beamer export. When I commented
>> out that line, everything worked as advertised.
>>
>> I'd be interested to hear from anyone who could shed light on why
>> that might be.
>
> Well,
>
> apparently Org does do a search that relies on case-fold-search
> being t.  Normally when this is the case
> I try to set this explicitly to t during the function call.
> Can you make a minimal example with your setup and a small file
> which reproduced the error?

In fact, I just did put a case-fold-search binding in places where I
think it was missing.  Could pu pull the latest version and then try
again *with your original setup*?

Thanks!

- Carsten

* Re: beamer export
@ 2010-08-19 21:35   ` Antony Ware
From: Antony Ware @ 2010-08-19 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Carsten - thanks for looking into this. I pulled the latest version and the problem was still present.

Here's a minimal setup.

I run

/usr/bin/emacs -Q -l test.el example.org<http://example.org>

with test.el containing

(setq load-path (cons "~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/org/lisp" load-path))
(setq load-path (cons "~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/org/contrib/lisp" load-path))
(require 'org-install)
;; The following lines are always needed.  Choose your own keys.
     (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org\\'<smb://.org//'>" . org-mode))
     (global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
     (global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
     (global-set-key "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb)

(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 '(case-fold-search nil))

and the example.org<http://example.org> containing the org document at the end of http://orgmode.org/manual/Beamer-class-export.html#Beamer-class-export:

#+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
     #+TITLE: Example Presentation
     #+AUTHOR: Carsten Dominik
     #+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [presentation]
     #+BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL: 2
     #+BEAMER_HEADER_EXTRA: \usetheme{Madrid}\usecolortheme{default}
     #+COLUMNS: %35ITEM %10BEAMER_env(Env) %10BEAMER_envargs(Args) %4BEAMER_col(Col) %8BEAMER_extra(Ex)

     * This is the first structural section

     ** Frame 1 \\ with a subtitle
     *** Thanks to Eric Fraga                                      :BMCOL:B_block:
         :PROPERTIES:
         :BEAMER_env: block
         :BEAMER_envargs: C[t]
         :BEAMER_col: 0.5
         :END:
         for the first viable beamer setup in Org
     *** Thanks to everyone else                                   :BMCOL:B_block:
         :PROPERTIES:
         :BEAMER_col: 0.5
         :BEAMER_env: block
         :BEAMER_envargs: <2->
         :END:
         for contributing to the discussion
     **** This will be formatted as a beamer note                  :B_note:
     ** Frame 2 \\ where we will not use columns
     *** Request                                                   :B_block:
         Please test this stuff!
         :PROPERTIES:
         :BEAMER_env: block
         :END:

Cheers,

Tony

@ 2010-08-20  6:40     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-08-20  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antony Ware; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Antony,

thanks, this is fixed now (I hope...)

- Carsten

On Aug 19, 2010, at 11:35 PM, Antony Ware wrote:

> [...]
>>> or latex-specific settings, but eventually found the cause of the
>>> problem to be that the variable
>>>
>>> case-fold-search
>>>
>>> was being set to nil (its default value) as one of my custom-set-
>>> variables. I don't remember why. Anyway, according to the
>>> information from C-h v, this makes the setting buffer-local, and for
>>> some reason that fouled up the beamer export. When I commented out
>>> that line, everything worked as advertised.
>>>
>>> I'd be interested to hear from anyone who could shed light on why
>>> that might be.
>>
>> Well,
>>
>> apparently Org does do a search that relies on case-fold-search
>> being t.  Normally when this is the case
>> I try to set this explicitly to t during the function call.
>> Can you make a minimal example with your setup and a small file which

- Carsten

* Re: beamer export
@ 2010-08-20 16:40     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-08-20 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antony Ware; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Carsten Dominik

Antony Ware <aware@ucalgary.ca> wrote:

> Hi Carsten - thanks for looking into this. I pulled the latest version and the problem was still present.
>
> Here's a minimal setup.
>
> I run
>
> /usr/bin/emacs -Q -l test.el example.org
>
> with test.el containing
>
> (setq load-path (cons "~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/org/lisp" load-path))
> (setq load-path (cons "~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/org/contrib/lisp" load-path))
> (require 'org-install)
> ;; The following lines are always needed.  Choose your own keys.
>      (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org\\'" . org-mode))
>      (global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
>      (global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
>      (global-set-key "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb)
>
> (custom-set-variables
>   ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
>   ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>   ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
>  '(case-fold-search nil))
>
> and the example.org containing the org document at the end of http://orgmode.org/manual/Beamer-class-export.html#Beamer-class-export:
>
> #+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
>      #+TITLE: Example Presentation
>      #+AUTHOR: Carsten Dominik
>      #+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [presentation]
>      #+BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL: 2
>      #+BEAMER_HEADER_EXTRA: \usetheme{Madrid}\usecolortheme{default}
>      #+COLUMNS: %35ITEM %10BEAMER_env(Env) %10BEAMER_envargs(Args) %4BEAMER_col(Col) %8BEAMER_extra(Ex)
>
>      * This is the first structural section
>
>      ** Frame 1 \\ with a subtitle
>      *** Thanks to Eric Fraga                                      :BMCOL:B_block:
>          :PROPERTIES:
>          :BEAMER_env: block
>          :BEAMER_envargs: C[t]
>          :BEAMER_col: 0.5
>          :END:
>          for the first viable beamer setup in Org
>      *** Thanks to everyone else                                   :BMCOL:B_block:
>          :PROPERTIES:
>          :BEAMER_col: 0.5
>          :BEAMER_env: block
>          :BEAMER_envargs: <2->
>          :END:
>          for contributing to the discussion
>      **** This will be formatted as a beamer note                  :B_note:
>      ** Frame 2 \\ where we will not use columns
>      *** Request                                                   :B_block:
>          Please test this stuff!
>          :PROPERTIES:
>          :BEAMER_env: block
>          :END:

I tried your minimal setup (thanks for providing that! it makes it so
easy to test) before and after a pull: it didn't work before but it
*did* work after the pull. I went through a make clean/make/M-x org-reload cycle -
maybe you forgot a step?

Version info:
GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.4) of 2010-05-17 on gamaville.dokosmarshall.org
Org-mode version 7.01trans (release_7.01h.181.g4a02)

HTH,
Nick