Hi Carsten - thanks for looking into this. I pulled the latest version and the problem was still present. Here's a minimal setup. I run /usr/bin/emacs -Q -l test.el example.org with test.el containing (setq load-path (cons "~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/org/lisp" load-path)) (setq load-path (cons "~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/org/contrib/lisp" load-path)) (require 'org-install) ;; The following lines are always needed. Choose your own keys. (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org\\'" . org-mode)) (global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link) (global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda) (global-set-key "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb) (custom-set-variables ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom. ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful. ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance. ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right. '(case-fold-search nil)) and the example.org containing the org document at the end of http://orgmode.org/manual/Beamer-class-export.html#Beamer-class-export: #+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer #+TITLE: Example Presentation #+AUTHOR: Carsten Dominik #+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [presentation] #+BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL: 2 #+BEAMER_HEADER_EXTRA: \usetheme{Madrid}\usecolortheme{default} #+COLUMNS: %35ITEM %10BEAMER_env(Env) %10BEAMER_envargs(Args) %4BEAMER_col(Col) %8BEAMER_extra(Ex) * This is the first structural section ** Frame 1 \\ with a subtitle *** Thanks to Eric Fraga :BMCOL:B_block: :PROPERTIES: :BEAMER_env: block :BEAMER_envargs: C[t] :BEAMER_col: 0.5 :END: for the first viable beamer setup in Org *** Thanks to everyone else :BMCOL:B_block: :PROPERTIES: :BEAMER_col: 0.5 :BEAMER_env: block :BEAMER_envargs: <2-> :END: for contributing to the discussion **** This will be formatted as a beamer note :B_note: ** Frame 2 \\ where we will not use columns *** Request :B_block: Please test this stuff! :PROPERTIES: :BEAMER_env: block :END: Cheers, Tony On 2010-08-19, at 3:06 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote: On Aug 19, 2010, at 5:16 PM, Antony Ware wrote: I've been having a problem exporting to beamer. I've now found the problem and fixed it, but it was (to my mind) something pretty obscure, and I think it might be of interest to the list, at least as a salutary tale. When I opened an org file such as the example beamer presentation from the manual (section 12.6.6) and executed C-c C-e d, it kept generating a .tex file with an article document class, instead of the expected beamer class. After a few days of frustrated searching through the manual and tutorials, and this list, for any clues, I found some advice to run something like /usr/bin/emacs -Q -l test.el with a series of versions of test.el progressively approximating my .emacs file. I was expecting the problem to lie in one of my org- or latex-specific settings, but eventually found the cause of the problem to be that the variable case-fold-search was being set to nil (its default value) as one of my custom-set- variables. I don't remember why. Anyway, according to the information from C-h v, this makes the setting buffer-local, and for some reason that fouled up the beamer export. When I commented out that line, everything worked as advertised. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who could shed light on why that might be. Well, apparently Org does do a search that relies on case-fold-search being t. Normally when this is the case I try to set this explicitly to t during the function call. Can you make a minimal example with your setup and a small file which reproduced the error? - Carsten