* VISIBILITY property and C-u C-u <TAB>
@ 2010-10-17 15:41 Gez
From: Gez @ 2010-10-17 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've just discovered the VISIBILITY property, although I had some trouble
working out how to apply it .I discovered C-u C-u TAB from reading
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/6623.  C-u C-u TAB is documented
in the reference card but not in the manual or on worg as far as I can see -
Shouldn't it be added?  Also shouldn't VISIBILITY be listed with the other
"special properties" in the manual etc?

I'm using it to mark sub-projects (level 2,3 etc) with :VISIBILITY: folded
(or :VISIBILITY: content when they also contain a sub-sub-project). When
sub-projects are folded into their projects (level 1) I miss out on an
overview of all projects.  Using C-u C-u TAB I can see all non-level-1
headlines that I've marked because they are parents of tasks, and then I can
visit them locally with TAB.  It's very useful in conjunction with the
counter cookie, and in column view.

I have a query about the C-u C-u TAB command.  When I've just edited or used
S-TAB (no matter which part of the global cycle it's on) C-u C-u TAB works
as I would expect.  But if I've just used TAB, C-u C-u TAB cycles
hrough  -> CONTENTS -> SHOW ALL etc, even while the mini buffer displays
"startup visibility plus VISIBILITY properties" at each stage of the cycle.
C-u C-u TAB also cycles when it's repeated.  I find it hard to keep track of
whether it will cycle or not while I'm using it to view areas of the
outline, so in effect, the only way I feel sure I can quickly return to my
desired startup visibility is with S-TAB C-u C-u TAB, which is a lot of
keystrokes! So my questions are - is this expected behaviour?  Can it be
changed?

Gez
Windows XP, GNU Emacs 23.2.1, Org-mode version 7.01trans