* ideas for org-refile
@ 2008-10-10 19:07 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2008-10-10 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am just starting to use org-refile.  I read the manual but these
didn't seem to be there.  (It's possible that I missed one or two.)

Maybe they would be of interest?

*** org-refile
***** org-refile: new command to save to the last place saved
thus, you don't need to enter any target.
***** org-refile: accept a region if transient-mark-mode
***** org-refile: allow you to enter a new item
it will create that and refile under it.  might need to experiment
with different interfaces.
***** org-refile: use ido.el or similar when using path method
or iswitchb or anything.el.  obviously you would not want it
to require such packages, but for those who have them.

Thanks.

* Re: ideas for org-refile
@ 2008-10-12 12:08 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-10-12 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Samuel,

On Oct 10, 2008, at 9:07 PM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> I am just starting to use org-refile.  I read the manual but these
> didn't seem to be there.  (It's possible that I missed one or two.)
>
> Maybe they would be of interest?
>
> *** org-refile
> ***** org-refile: new command to save to the last place saved
> thus, you don't need to enter any target.

You will get back to the previous target simply by pressing <up> at
the prompt, as the previous target is in the history.  I'd say this
is good enough.

> ***** org-refile: accept a region if transient-mark-mode

What do you mean by this?  A region with several headlines, to
move them all?

> ***** org-refile: allow you to enter a new item
> it will create that and refile under it.  might need to experiment
> with different interfaces.

I think this is what remember is for.  If you exit a remember buffer
with `C-1 C-c C-c', the refile interface will be used to file the entry.

> ***** org-refile: use ido.el or similar when using path method
> or iswitchb or anything.el.  obviously you would not want it
> to require such packages, but for those who have them.

I don't know ido.el, what advantages would it give?

- Carsten

* Re: ideas for org-refile
@ 2008-10-12 17:49   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2008-10-12 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

>> ***** org-refile: use ido.el or similar when using path method
>> or iswitchb or anything.el.  obviously you would not want it
>> to require such packages, but for those who have them.
>
> I don't know ido.el, what advantages would it give?

ido (Interactive Do) provides enhanced mini-buffer completion, try
evaluating the following

  (require 'ido)
  (ido-mode t)

then executing some simple commands which include mini-buffer completion
(find-file, describe-function, etc...).  I find it very useful.

-- Eric

From the Comments at the top of ido.el

,----

`----

> - Carsten

* Re: ideas for org-refile
@ 2008-10-12 19:18   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2008-10-12 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 05:08, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> You will get back to the previous target simply by pressing <up> at
> the prompt, as the previous target is in the history.  I'd say this
> is good enough.

I was thinking that a separate command would allow binding to a single
key, but history should help a lot.   Don't know why I didn't try it.
Thanks.

>> ***** org-refile: accept a region if transient-mark-mode
>
> What do you mean by this?  A region with several headlines, to
> move them all?

Yes.

(More generally it might be possible in principle to mark specific
entries and then move the marked entries, like marking files in dired,
but that would be kind of complicated in org.)

>> ***** org-refile: allow you to enter a new item
>> it will create that and refile under it.  might need to experiment
>> with different interfaces.
>
> I think this is what remember is for.  If you exit a remember buffer
> with `C-1 C-c C-c', the refile interface will be used to file the entry.

Different.

If you are on a previously remembered entry called "granny smith", and
you want to file under /food/fruit/apple, but apple does not exist
(/food/fruit is all that exists), then you could type
/food/fruit/apple and org-refile would 1.  create apple and 2.  put
the entry under point underneath apple.

At present, org-refile will not let you enter the apple part.  Perhaps
I am missing something here.

> I don't know ido.el, what advantages would it give?

You could, for example, type a sequence of letters that appear in that
order anywhere in the target, case insensitively, to select an entry.
It is thrillingly efficient.

Maybe anything.el has a similar mechanism.

* Re: ideas for org-refile
@ 2008-11-11  5:59     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-11  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Samuel,

On Oct 12, 2008, at 9:18 PM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 05:08, Carsten Dominik
> <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
>> You will get back to the previous target simply by pressing <up> at
>> the prompt, as the previous target is in the history.  I'd say this
>> is good enough.
>
> I was thinking that a separate command would allow binding to a single
> key, but history should help a lot.   Don't know why I didn't try it.
> Thanks.
>
>>> ***** org-refile: accept a region if transient-mark-mode
>>
>> What do you mean by this?  A region with several headlines, to
>> move them all?
>
> Yes.

This part I have now implement.  You can select a region of siblings,
and they will all be refiled to the same location.

- Carsten

* Re: ideas for org-refile
@ 2008-11-11  6:04       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2008-11-11  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 22:59, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> This part I have now implement.  You can select a region of siblings,
> and they will all be refiled to the same location.

Thanks, that is excellent.  I like it when commands work on regions also.