* Upper or lower case in BEGIN_SRC and other keywords
@ 2016-06-16 16:13 William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2016-06-16 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

When I use the <s shortcut for #+BEGIN_SRC, Org puts it in upper case.  And
#+RESULTS is in upper case too.  I noticed other people have these keywords in
lower case in examples or config files, so I looked in the manual, which says
[1]

"Org uses option keywords (like #+TITLE to set the title) and environment
keywords (like #+BEGIN_HTML to start a HTML environment). They are written in
uppercase in the manual to enhance its readability, but you can use lowercase in
your Org files."

There's a footnote [2] that says:

"Easy templates insert lowercase keywords and Babel dynamically inserts
#+results."

How come this doesn't happen for me?  I don't see any variable that's making
things default to upper case for me.

This isn't a problem ... I'm just curious.

Bill

[1] http://orgmode.org/org.html#Conventions
[2] http://orgmode.org/org.html#fn-3

--
William Denton :: Toronto, Canada :: https://www.miskatonic.org/
Caveat lector.

* Re: Upper or lower case in BEGIN_SRC and other keywords
@ 2016-06-16 16:53 ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2016-06-16 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Denton, emacs-orgmode

I believe that, in general, things are case-insensitive in org-mode. Please
do help clarify this if this is wrong.

The only place that I have come across as case-sensitive is the tag system.
If you tag a sub-tree with ':archive:', it will not be archived. The tag
has to be ':ARCHIVE:'.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 12:32 PM William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> wrote:

> When I use the <s shortcut for #+BEGIN_SRC, Org puts it in upper case.  And
> #+RESULTS is in upper case too.  I noticed other people have these
> keywords in
> lower case in examples or config files, so I looked in the manual, which
> says
> [1]
>
> "Org uses option keywords (like #+TITLE to set the title) and environment
> keywords (like #+BEGIN_HTML to start a HTML environment). They are written
> in
> uppercase in the manual to enhance its readability, but you can use
> lowercase in
> your Org files."
>
> There's a footnote [2] that says:
>
> "Easy templates insert lowercase keywords and Babel dynamically inserts
> #+results."
>
> How come this doesn't happen for me?  I don't see any variable that's
> making
> things default to upper case for me.
>
> This isn't a problem ... I'm just curious.
>
> Bill
>
> [1] http://orgmode.org/org.html#Conventions
> [2] http://orgmode.org/org.html#fn-3
>
> --
> William Denton :: Toronto, Canada :: https://www.miskatonic.org/
> Caveat lector.

Kaushal Modi

* Re: Upper or lower case in BEGIN_SRC and other keywords
@ 2016-06-17  4:08 ` Bernhard Pröll
From: Bernhard Pröll @ 2016-06-17  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 16. Jun 12:13, William Denton wrote:
>When I use the <s shortcut for #+BEGIN_SRC, Org puts it in upper
>case.  And #+RESULTS is in upper case too.  I noticed other people
>have these keywords in lower case in examples or config files, so I
>looked in the manual, which says [1]

For one, there is a ~org-babel-results-keyword~ variable. Also I prefer
src block keywords not to stand out as such:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(setcar org-structure-template-alist '("s" "#+begin_src ?\n\n#+end_src" ""))
#+end_src

For me, it's just a matter of taste.

Regards,
Bernhard