emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* How to use overprint in Beamer export
@ 2013-04-23  2:10 Eric Schulte
  2013-04-23  6:26 ` Suvayu Ali
  2013-04-23  7:25 ` Nicolas Goaziou
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-04-23  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode Mailing List

Hi,

I'd like to enclose a series of blocks which replace each other in the
Beamer overprint environment.

Here's the LateX I'd like to produce.

    % latex
    \begin{frame}[fragile]{The Things}
    \begin{block}{Things}
      \begin{description}[<+->]
      \item[foo] the first thing I want to talk about
      \item[bar] this is the second, follows the first
      \item[baz] third and final
      \end{description}
    \end{block}

    \begin{overprint}
      \onslide<1>
      \begin{block}{Foo}
        A picture of a ``foo''.
      \end{block}

      \onslide<2>
      \begin{block}{Bar}
        Some text about ``bar''.
      \end{block}

      \onslide<3>
      \begin{block}{Baz}
        Content relevant only to ``baz''.
      \end{block}

    \end{overprint}

    \end{frame}

I see no way to generate this from Org-mode given the folding behavior
of Org-mode outlines.  Namely the fact that there is no way to *close* a
heading.

Any suggestions appreciated.  Thanks,

-- 
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: How to use overprint in Beamer export
  2013-04-23  2:10 How to use overprint in Beamer export Eric Schulte
@ 2013-04-23  6:26 ` Suvayu Ali
  2013-04-23 13:21   ` Eric Schulte
  2013-04-23  7:25 ` Nicolas Goaziou
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-04-23  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 08:10:09PM -0600, Eric Schulte wrote:
> 
> I'd like to enclose a series of blocks which replace each other in the
> Beamer overprint environment.

[...chomp...chomp...chomp...]

> I see no way to generate this from Org-mode given the folding behavior
> of Org-mode outlines.  Namely the fact that there is no way to *close* a
> heading.

Doesn't the following work?

<http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/ox-beamer.html#environments-overlay>

-- 
Suvayu

Open source is the future. It sets us free.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: How to use overprint in Beamer export
  2013-04-23  2:10 How to use overprint in Beamer export Eric Schulte
  2013-04-23  6:26 ` Suvayu Ali
@ 2013-04-23  7:25 ` Nicolas Goaziou
  2013-04-23  8:12   ` Suvayu Ali
  2013-04-23 13:22   ` Eric Schulte
  1 sibling, 2 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-04-23  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Org Mode Mailing List

Hello,

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> I'd like to enclose a series of blocks which replace each other in the
> Beamer overprint environment.
>
> Here's the LateX I'd like to produce.
>
>     % latex
>     \begin{frame}[fragile]{The Things}
>     \begin{block}{Things}
>       \begin{description}[<+->]
>       \item[foo] the first thing I want to talk about
>       \item[bar] this is the second, follows the first
>       \item[baz] third and final
>       \end{description}
>     \end{block}
>
>     \begin{overprint}
>       \onslide<1>
>       \begin{block}{Foo}
>         A picture of a ``foo''.
>       \end{block}
>
>       \onslide<2>
>       \begin{block}{Bar}
>         Some text about ``bar''.
>       \end{block}
>
>       \onslide<3>
>       \begin{block}{Baz}
>         Content relevant only to ``baz''.
>       \end{block}
>
>     \end{overprint}
>
>     \end{frame}

As pointed out by Suvayu Ali, you can define a new "overprint"
environment, but it won't provide the "\onslide<...>" macros. You'll
have to rely on "#+beamer: \onslide<...>" keywords.

> I see no way to generate this from Org-mode given the folding behavior
> of Org-mode outlines.  Namely the fact that there is no way to *close* a
> heading.

In general, you close a headline with another headline (i.e. a block in
Beamer jargon). You can also close a block with an "ignoreheading"
headline. That's how columns work.

Here is an example:

#+begin_src org
#+BIND: org-beamer-environments-extra (("overprint" "O" "\\begin{overprint}%o" "\\end{overprint}"))
#+LANGUAGE: en
#+OPTIONS: H:1 ':t

* The Things

** Things

   #+attr_beamer: :overlay +-
   - foo :: the first thing I want to talk about
   - bar :: this is the second, follows the first
   - baz :: third and final

** Overprint
   :PROPERTIES:
   :beamer_env: overprint
   :END:

   #+beamer: \onslide<1>
*** Foo

    A picture of a "foo".

*** onslide                                                      :B_ignoreheading:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: ignoreheading
    :END:

    #+beamer: \onslide<2>

*** Bar

    Some text about "bar".

*** onslide                                                      :B_ignoreheading:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: ignoreheading
    :END:

    #+beamer: \onslide<3>

*** Baz

    Content relevant only to "baz".
#+end_src


Regards,

-- 
Nicolas Goaziou

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: How to use overprint in Beamer export
  2013-04-23  7:25 ` Nicolas Goaziou
@ 2013-04-23  8:12   ` Suvayu Ali
  2013-04-23 13:22   ` Eric Schulte
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-04-23  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 09:25:33AM +0200, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

[...chomp...chomp...chomp...]

> In general, you close a headline with another headline (i.e. a block in
> Beamer jargon). You can also close a block with an "ignoreheading"
> headline. That's how columns work.

The "ignoreheading" technique is mentioned under "Special environments"
on that same Worg page.

<http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/ox-beamer.html#special-environments>

Maybe I need to restructure the write-up a bit.  At the moment it feels
more like documentation rather than tutorial.  I'll think a bit how to
best present all the information in a more friendly fashion.

Cheers,

-- 
Suvayu

Open source is the future. It sets us free.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: How to use overprint in Beamer export
  2013-04-23  6:26 ` Suvayu Ali
@ 2013-04-23 13:21   ` Eric Schulte
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-04-23 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 08:10:09PM -0600, Eric Schulte wrote:
>> 
>> I'd like to enclose a series of blocks which replace each other in the
>> Beamer overprint environment.
>
> [...chomp...chomp...chomp...]
>
>> I see no way to generate this from Org-mode given the folding behavior
>> of Org-mode outlines.  Namely the fact that there is no way to *close* a
>> heading.
>
> Doesn't the following work?
>
> <http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/ox-beamer.html#environments-overlay>

Ah, thanks this does indeed work.  I should have searched worg more
thoroughly.

-- 
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: How to use overprint in Beamer export
  2013-04-23  7:25 ` Nicolas Goaziou
  2013-04-23  8:12   ` Suvayu Ali
@ 2013-04-23 13:22   ` Eric Schulte
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-04-23 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org Mode Mailing List

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'd like to enclose a series of blocks which replace each other in the
>> Beamer overprint environment.
>>
>> Here's the LateX I'd like to produce.
>>
>>     % latex
>>     \begin{frame}[fragile]{The Things}
>>     \begin{block}{Things}
>>       \begin{description}[<+->]
>>       \item[foo] the first thing I want to talk about
>>       \item[bar] this is the second, follows the first
>>       \item[baz] third and final
>>       \end{description}
>>     \end{block}
>>
>>     \begin{overprint}
>>       \onslide<1>
>>       \begin{block}{Foo}
>>         A picture of a ``foo''.
>>       \end{block}
>>
>>       \onslide<2>
>>       \begin{block}{Bar}
>>         Some text about ``bar''.
>>       \end{block}
>>
>>       \onslide<3>
>>       \begin{block}{Baz}
>>         Content relevant only to ``baz''.
>>       \end{block}
>>
>>     \end{overprint}
>>
>>     \end{frame}
>
> As pointed out by Suvayu Ali, you can define a new "overprint"
> environment, but it won't provide the "\onslide<...>" macros. You'll
> have to rely on "#+beamer: \onslide<...>" keywords.
>
>> I see no way to generate this from Org-mode given the folding behavior
>> of Org-mode outlines.  Namely the fact that there is no way to *close* a
>> heading.
>
> In general, you close a headline with another headline (i.e. a block in
> Beamer jargon). You can also close a block with an "ignoreheading"
> headline. That's how columns work.
>
> Here is an example:
>

Thanks for this.  It does indeed do exactly what I want.

Cheers,

>
> #+begin_src org
> #+BIND: org-beamer-environments-extra (("overprint" "O" "\\begin{overprint}%o" "\\end{overprint}"))
> #+LANGUAGE: en
> #+OPTIONS: H:1 ':t
>
> * The Things
>
> ** Things
>
>    #+attr_beamer: :overlay +-
>    - foo :: the first thing I want to talk about
>    - bar :: this is the second, follows the first
>    - baz :: third and final
>
> ** Overprint
>    :PROPERTIES:
>    :beamer_env: overprint
>    :END:
>
>    #+beamer: \onslide<1>
> *** Foo
>
>     A picture of a "foo".
>
> *** onslide                                                      :B_ignoreheading:
>     :PROPERTIES:
>     :BEAMER_env: ignoreheading
>     :END:
>
>     #+beamer: \onslide<2>
>
> *** Bar
>
>     Some text about "bar".
>
> *** onslide                                                      :B_ignoreheading:
>     :PROPERTIES:
>     :BEAMER_env: ignoreheading
>     :END:
>
>     #+beamer: \onslide<3>
>
> *** Baz
>
>     Content relevant only to "baz".
> #+end_src
>
>
> Regards,

-- 
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2013-04-23 15:10 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 6+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2013-04-23  2:10 How to use overprint in Beamer export Eric Schulte
2013-04-23  6:26 ` Suvayu Ali
2013-04-23 13:21   ` Eric Schulte
2013-04-23  7:25 ` Nicolas Goaziou
2013-04-23  8:12   ` Suvayu Ali
2013-04-23 13:22   ` Eric Schulte

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).