* (no subject)
@ 2012-11-07 18:50 Kevin Buchs
From: Kevin Buchs @ 2012-11-07 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I would like to solve a problem I have: C-e (org-end-of-line) does not
move to the end of the line with long lines that are not headings. I
find myself wanting to get to the end of a long line often and have to
hit multiple C-e sequences to get there. I don't have the
org-special-ctrl-a/e set to non-nil. My line-move-visual value is the
default value of t, so I get the end-of-visual-line movement one
screen's worth. Before I start hacking, I thought I should be clear on
the design goals here. It seems as if the declaration of
line-move-visual says it is dealing with vertical motion, not
horizontal motion. I don't see any behavior elsewhere that uses the
interpretation that line-move-visual is for horizontal motion. Anyone
have thoughts on this subject?

BTW - I posted this back in May, but I neglected to keep the topic alive.

Kevin Buchs

* Re: end-of-line behaviour [was: (no subject)]
@ 2012-11-07 19:50 ` Toby Cubitt
From: Toby Cubitt @ 2012-11-07 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

This sounds like it might be related to recent end-of-line changes and an
even more recent (not yet applied) patch I posted.

On Wed, Nov 07, 2012 at 12:50:20PM -0600, Kevin Buchs wrote:
> I would like to solve a problem I have: C-e (org-end-of-line) does not
> move to the end of the line with long lines that are not headings. I
> find myself wanting to get to the end of a long line often and have to
> hit multiple C-e sequences to get there. I don't have the
> org-special-ctrl-a/e set to non-nil.

Which version of org-mode are you running?

I can't reproduce this in a recent git checkout. With visual-line-mode
off and org-special-ctrl-a/e nil, C-e goes straight to the (real) end of
the line in one go.

On the other hand, with the same settings, C-a doesn't go back to the
*beginning* of the line in one go for me. This bug is fixed by the patch
I posted to the list.

> My line-move-visual value is the default value of t, so I get the
> end-of-visual-line movement one screen's worth.

At least in the latest git, end-of-line doesn't even check the value of
line-move-visual, so it's setting shouldn't have any effect at all on
org-end-of-line. (org-beginning-of-line *does* check line-move-visual; my
patch fixes this to check visual-line-mode instead.)

> Before I start hacking, I thought I should be clear on the design goals
> here. It seems as if the declaration of line-move-visual says it is
> dealing with vertical motion, not horizontal motion. I don't see any
> behavior elsewhere that uses the interpretation that line-move-visual
> is for horizontal motion. Anyone have thoughts on this subject?

Agreed (see the recent discussion thread about my patch).

> BTW - I posted this back in May, but I neglected to keep the topic alive.

Looks like you're not the only one trying to fix this :)

Toby
--
Dr T. S. Cubitt
Mathematics and Quantum Information group

email: tsc25@cantab.net
web:   www.dr-qubit.org

* Re: end-of-line behaviour [was: (no subject)]
@ 2012-11-07 21:02   ` Kevin Buchs
From: Kevin Buchs @ 2012-11-07 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toby Cubitt, emacs-orgmode

I'm running version 7.8.10 of org-mode. I think I should grab an
update. I did see some recent discussion which cued by memory but I
thought since I was not using visual-line-mode that it did not apply.
Thanks.

What an interesting title your group has!

- Kevin Buchs