* how to schedule over a range of dates?
@ 2012-04-22 14:58 Mandar Mitra
From: Mandar Mitra @ 2012-04-22 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I understand that "SCHEDULED" is intended to only specify a start date,
but I'd like to be able to use a range of dates with SCHEDULED, and get
consistent behaviour in the Agenda view. This helps when I'm looking at
the Agenda view and trying to find free days to schedule other stuff.

Currently (version 7.8.09), if I have something like

    SCHEDULED: <2012-04-21 Sat>--<2012-04-24 Tue>

then the agenda view gives me 2 lines of the form:

  TODO:       Sched. 2x:  [#0] <some work>
  TODO:       (2/4):  [#0] <same work as above>

I have org-agenda-skip-additional-timestamps-same-entry set to t, but
perhaps I've misunderstood the intention of this variable?

If I leave just the timestamp (no SCHEDULED), then the behaviour is
almost like what I want, with two exceptions:

1. Once the end date is past, the item disappears from the agenda
   irrespective of whether I've marked it DONE.
   (I have org-agenda-skip-timestamp-if-done set to nil.)
   This does not happen for a SCHEDULED item (which I have to explicitly
   mark DONE).

2. (minor) The corresponding line in the agenda view does not have any
   face associated with it, so I can't customise its appearance.

Is there an easy way of achieving something like the following in the
agenda view?

Sunday     22 April 2012
  TODO:       Sched. 2x (or 2/4): [#0] <some work>
Monday     23 April 2012 W17
  TODO:       Sched. 3x (or 3/4):  [#0] <same work as above>

And later, if I've left the work not done,

On some future date
  TODO:        Sched. Nx (or N/4, or similar):  [#0] <same work as above>

Haven't found an answer in TFM. Grateful for any pointers.

Thanks,
Mandar.

* Re: how to schedule over a range of dates?
@ 2012-04-22 17:05 ` Detlef Steuer
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2012-04-22 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 20:28:08 +0530
Mandar Mitra <mandar.mitra@gmail.com> wrote:

> I understand that "SCHEDULED" is intended to only specify a start date,
> but I'd like to be able to use a range of dates with SCHEDULED, and get
> consistent behaviour in the Agenda view. This helps when I'm looking at
> the Agenda view and trying to find free days to schedule other stuff.
>
> Currently (version 7.8.09), if I have something like
>
>     SCHEDULED: <2012-04-21 Sat>--<2012-04-24 Tue>

I use it without the SCHEDULED keyword and it does exactly what I need.

HTH

Detlef

@ 2012-04-22 18:48   ` Mandar Mitra
From: Mandar Mitra @ 2012-04-22 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Detlef Steuer wrote (Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 07:05:12PM +0200):
> On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 20:28:08 +0530
> Mandar Mitra <mandar.mitra@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Currently (version 7.8.09), if I have something like
> >
> >     SCHEDULED: <2012-04-21 Sat>--<2012-04-24 Tue>
>
> I use it without the SCHEDULED keyword and it does exactly what I need.

This *almost* does what I need, but I don't want the item to disappear
from the agenda simply because the scheduled period has passed. It
should go away only when I explicitly mark the item done.

Is this the behaviour you get?

@ 2012-04-22 20:58     ` Detlef Steuer
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2012-04-22 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 00:18:37 +0530
Mandar Mitra <mandar.mitra@gmail.com> wrote:

> Detlef Steuer wrote (Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 07:05:12PM +0200):
> > On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 20:28:08 +0530
> > Mandar Mitra <mandar.mitra@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Currently (version 7.8.09), if I have something like
> > >
> > >     SCHEDULED: <2012-04-21 Sat>--<2012-04-24 Tue>
> >
> > I use it without the SCHEDULED keyword and it does exactly what I need.
>
> This *almost* does what I need, but I don't want the item to disappear
> from the agenda simply because the scheduled period has passed. It
> should go away only when I explicitly mark the item done.
>
> Is this the behaviour you get?

Sorry, no. It disappears and I agree that this is a problem sometimes with
cleaning up my org file.

You can try something like

** TODO testschedule
   <2012-04-17 Di>--<2012-04-22 So>
   DEADLINE: <2012-04-22 So -0d>

It will remind of the item after the deadline, but not before.
Not sure, just playing around.

Detlef

@ 2012-04-23  3:55       ` Mandar Mitra
From: Mandar Mitra @ 2012-04-23  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Detlef Steuer wrote (Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 10:58:15PM +0200):

> Sorry, no. It disappears and I agree that this is a problem sometimes with
> cleaning up my org file.
>
> You can try something like
>
> ** TODO testschedule
>    <2012-04-17 Di>--<2012-04-22 So>
>    DEADLINE: <2012-04-22 So -0d>
>
> It will remind of the item after the deadline, but not before.
> Not sure, just playing around.

Yes, thanks, this kind of works.

I tweaked the variables org-agenda-skip-additional-timestamps-same-entry
and org-agenda-skip-deadline-prewarning-if-scheduled to get the exact
behaviour I want, but they don't seem to work the way I expected.

Will get the daily build and dig around more in the code as and when I
get the time.

Thanks again,
mandar.