* Strange behaviour of produced latex-pdf
@ 2011-02-02 11:30 Martin Weigele
From: Martin Weigele @ 2011-02-02 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

Dear all, have encountered the following strange behaviour in producing latex-
pdf from a standard outline, C-c C-e d . One of many top nodes is seemingly
arbitrarily not broken down into subnodes. It works fine, however, when
producing html. Emacs 23.1.1; org-7.4 manually installed; ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

The following declarations are used:

#+TITLE: Blah
#+LaTeX_CLASS: book
#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{a5}\usepackage{german}
#+LANGUAGE: DE
#+TEXT: Blah

While most top nodes are broken down like
\chapter{blah}
\section{blah}
etc..

...one chapter is simply not broken down. I have checked the org file with vi,
there is no evidence that anything is wrong in the orgfile structure. All go
*chapter
**section
***subsection

etc.

Like others, the unrefined chapter contains only (sub)headlines, no text yet.
Any ideas?

* Re: Strange behaviour of produced latex-pdf
@ 2011-02-02 16:38 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2011-02-02 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Weigele; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

On Feb 2, 2011, at 1:30 AM, Martin Weigele wrote:

> Dear all, have encountered the following strange behaviour in
> producing latex-
> pdf from a standard outline, C-c C-e d . One of many top nodes is
> seemingly
> arbitrarily not broken down into subnodes. It works fine, however,
> when
> producing html. Emacs 23.1.1; org-7.4 manually installed; ubuntu
> 10.04 LTS.
>
> The following declarations are used:
>
> #+TITLE: Blah
> #+LaTeX_CLASS: book
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{a5}\usepackage{german}
> #+LANGUAGE: DE
> #+TEXT: Blah
>
> While most top nodes are broken down like
> \chapter{blah}
> \section{blah}
> etc..
>
> ...one chapter is simply not broken down. I have checked the org
> file with vi,
> there is no evidence that anything is wrong in the orgfile
> structure. All go
> *chapter
> **section
> ***subsection
>
> etc.
>
> Like others, the unrefined chapter contains only (sub)headlines, no
> text yet.
> Any ideas?

Aloha Martin,

I don't understand what you mean by "not broken down."  Could you
provide an example of the LaTeX output?

All the best,
Tom

* Re: Strange behaviour of produced latex-pdf
@ 2011-02-02 22:26   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-02-02 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Martin Weigele, Emacs-orgmode

"Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:

> On Feb 2, 2011, at 1:30 AM, Martin Weigele wrote:
>
>> Dear all, have encountered the following strange behaviour in
>> producing latex-
>> pdf from a standard outline, C-c C-e d . One of many top nodes is
>> seemingly
>> arbitrarily not broken down into subnodes. It works fine, however,
>> when
>> producing html. Emacs 23.1.1; org-7.4 manually installed; ubuntu
>> 10.04 LTS.

[...]

>> Like others, the unrefined chapter contains only (sub)headlines, no
>> text yet.
>> Any ideas?
>
> Aloha Martin,
>
> I don't understand what you mean by "not broken down."  Could you
> provide an example of the LaTeX output?

I also do not necessarily understand what is meant by that but I can say
that I recently had some problems with the latex exporter, especially
over the weekend, not exporting the full document the way I would have
expected: whole sub-trees did not get exported to the latex although
they did come out in an HTML export, for instance.

Unfortunately, I was unable to reproduce this problem with a small
example and the document where it was exhibited is large and
definitely not distributable.

Fortunately, the problem seems to have disappeared and my latex export
works just fine now -- and the document has not changed (it's under
revision control).

So, I can suggest to Martin: upgrade to the latest git version of org
and see if that helps?

eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.302.gd840.dirty)

* Re: Strange behaviour of produced latex-pdf
@ 2011-02-02 22:53     ` Martin Weigele
From: Martin Weigele @ 2011-02-02 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am Mittwoch, 2. Februar 2011, um 23:26:05 schrieb Eric S Fraga:
> "Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:
> > On Feb 2, 2011, at 1:30 AM, Martin Weigele wrote:
> >> Dear all, have encountered the following strange behaviour in
> >> producing latex-
> >> pdf from a standard outline, C-c C-e d . One of many top nodes is
> >> seemingly
> >> arbitrarily not broken down into subnodes. It works fine, however,
> >> when
> >> producing html. Emacs 23.1.1; org-7.4 manually installed; ubuntu
> >> 10.04 LTS.
>
> [...]
>
> >> Like others, the unrefined chapter contains only (sub)headlines, no
> >> text yet.
> >> Any ideas?
> >
> > Aloha Martin,
> >
> > I don't understand what you mean by "not broken down."  Could you
> > provide an example of the LaTeX output?
>
> I also do not necessarily understand what is meant by that but I can say
> that I recently had some problems with the latex exporter, especially
> over the weekend, not exporting the full document the way I would have
> expected: whole sub-trees did not get exported to the latex although
> they did come out in an HTML export, for instance.
>
> Unfortunately, I was unable to reproduce this problem with a small
> example and the document where it was exhibited is large and
> definitely not distributable.
>
> Fortunately, the problem seems to have disappeared and my latex export
> works just fine now -- and the document has not changed (it's under
> revision control).
>
> So, I can suggest to Martin: upgrade to the latest git version of org
> and see if that helps?
>
> eric

Thanks Eric, it appears that the fact that a whole subtree indeed disappeared
from the latex output had left me kind of "speechless" :-) . No the problem
does not go away with latest git sources.
Martin

* Re: Strange behaviour of produced latex-pdf
@ 2011-02-02 23:06       ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2011-02-02 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Weigele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 2, 2011, at 12:53 PM, Martin Weigele wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 2. Februar 2011, um 23:26:05 schrieb Eric S Fraga:
>>
>> [...]
>>>
>>> Aloha Martin,
>>>
>>> I don't understand what you mean by "not broken down."  Could you
>>> provide an example of the LaTeX output?
>>
>> I also do not necessarily understand what is meant by that but I
>> can say
>> that I recently had some problems with the latex exporter, especially
>> over the weekend, not exporting the full document the way I would
>> have
>> expected: whole sub-trees did not get exported to the latex although
>> they did come out in an HTML export, for instance.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I was unable to reproduce this problem with a small
>> example and the document where it was exhibited is large and
>> definitely not distributable.
>>
>> Fortunately, the problem seems to have disappeared and my latex
>> export
>> works just fine now -- and the document has not changed (it's under
>> revision control).
>>
>> So, I can suggest to Martin: upgrade to the latest git version of org
>> and see if that helps?
>>
>> eric
>
> Thanks Eric, it appears that the fact that a whole subtree indeed
> disappeared
> from the latex output had left me kind of "speechless" :-) . No the
> problem
> does not go away with latest git sources.
> Martin

Aloha Martin,

I'm speechless, too.  I haven't seen this particular bug yet, but will
keep my eyes open for it.  Thanks for pointing it out.

All the best,
Tom

* Re: Strange behaviour of produced latex-pdf
@ 2011-02-02 23:44       ` Martin Weigele
From: Martin Weigele @ 2011-02-02 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

OK the disappearing subtree seems to have been caused by my declaration of
a non-existant "a5" latex (style) package. Works now fine with "a4". Thanks for
your help. Took me a while to find out where to look for the latex log file. :-)

@ 2011-02-03  0:23         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-02-03  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Martin Weigele, emacs-orgmode

"Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:

[...]

> I'm speechless, too.  I haven't seen this particular bug yet, but will
> keep my eyes open for it.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Over the past year, I have had some strange behaviour in my latex
exports appear every now and again, and it usually exhibits itself by
not exporting everything I would expect (only to latex; fine to html in
every case).  Unfortunately, I've never been able to isolate the
problem.  I will, however, inform the list the next time it happens to
me.

I'm glad that Martin has found his problem but it appears his is
completely different than what I have experienced in that, in his case,
the latex file includes everything... Is that so Martin?

eric