* Help installing org-mode on a MAC please?
@ 2010-07-11 15:43 Erwin Panen
From: Erwin Panen @ 2010-07-11 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi everyone,

This is perhaps a trivial question, so please bear with me.

I recently switched over to Mac, so I'm not familiar yet with all
inside-out Mac. At first I installed Aquamacs, but to be more compatible
I'd prefer to keep up with org-mode using git.

I managed to install homebrew, next git, and was able to use git to get
a clone of org-mode so that's allright.
(using git clone git://repo.or.cz/org-mode.git)
Next I tried to follow the FAQ: How do I keep current with Org mode
development?
(http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#keeping-current-with-Org-mode-development)

When I do: $ cd org-mode && make && make doc && make install
everything seems to go allright, but I get an error in the end
complaining about LateX not being installed.
So I installed MacTEX and tried running the above once more, with the
same error.

When I open up a terminal window and issue emacs, it opens up emacs
allright, but I find no xemacs? Is this not included with org-mode.git?

Thanks for helping out!

Erwin

* Re: Help installing org-mode on a MAC please?
@ 2010-07-12 14:30 ` Juan
From: Juan @ 2010-07-12 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erwin Panen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Erwin,

I'm using Mac also (not Aquamacs emacs, but EmacsForMacOSX instead).

XEmacs is a completely different branch of Emacs, which I don't think
is available for OSX.

Then there is the text-mode emacs you run from the terminal.

And then there is the emacs you installed (Aquamacs), which runs on
its own graphics window (outside Terminal.app).

So don't confuse those 3 emacs versions.

You only need to install LaTeX if you want to build the documentation
(make doc). This is not strictly necessary.

Also, I have to modify the Makefile from org-mode to fit my emacs
installation. Aquamacs emacs should be similar, just check the exact
location of the Emacs application and change accordingly.

This is how my org-mode Makefile looks:

8<------------------------------------------------------------
   ##----------------------------------------------------------------------
   ##  YOU MUST EDIT THE FOLLOWING LINES
   ##----------------------------------------------------------------------

   # Name of your emacs binary
   EMACS=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs

   # Where local software is found
   prefix=/Applications/Emacs.app

   # Where local lisp files go.
   lispdir = $(prefix)/Contents/Resources/lisp/org

   # Where info files go.
   infodir = $(prefix)/Contents/Resources/info
8<------------------------------------------------------------

The rest of the Makefile you leave as is.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
.j.

@ 2010-07-12 21:02 ` Stefan Vollmar
From: Stefan Vollmar @ 2010-07-12 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: erwinpanen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dear Erwin,

On 11.07.2010, at 17:43, Erwin Panen wrote:

> This is perhaps a trivial question, so please bear with me.
>
> I recently switched over to Mac, so I'm not familiar yet with all inside-out Mac. At first I installed Aquamacs, but to be more compatible I'd prefer to keep up with org-mode using git.
>
> I managed to install homebrew, next git, and was able to use git to get a clone of org-mode so that's allright.
> (using git clone git://repo.or.cz/org-mode.git)
> Next I tried to follow the FAQ: How do I keep current with Org mode development? (http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#keeping-current-with-Org-mode-development)
>
> When I do: $ cd org-mode && make && make doc && make install
> everything seems to go allright, but I get an error in the end complaining about LateX not being installed.
> So I installed MacTEX and tried running the above once more, with the same error.

Here is a small recipe for using the latest Org-mode development version with Aquamacs which works fine for me.

(1) Do a

git clone git://repo.or.cz/org-mode.git

in some directory of your choide, e.g. your home directory. (I believe, you have already done that.)

(2) cd to the new "org-mode" directory. Assuming you have installed Aquamacs in /Applications (default), change line 14 to:

EMACS=/Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Aquamacs

(3) make lisp/org-install.el
(4) make compile

(5) (optional and requires MacTeX or similar)
make doc/org.pdf

(6) Insert these lines in your .emacs file:

(setq load-path (cons "~/org-mode/lisp" load-path))
(require 'org-install)

this assumes that (1) created an org-mode directory in your home directory.

(7) Restart Aquamacs (you can later find out about more subtle methods than restarting Emacs which does not take long these days)

Warm regards,
 Stefan
--
Dr. Stefan Vollmar, Dipl.-Phys.
Head of IT group

[-- Attachment #1.2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: Help installing org-mode on a MAC please?
@ 2010-07-29 13:23   ` Erwin Panen
From: Erwin Panen @ 2010-07-29 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Vollmar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Stefan,

Thanks a lot for your help, much appreciated.
I've done some more searching and decided to delay using Aquamacs for now.
My reasoning is that I at least want to try to remain as compatible as
possible, i.e. linux, win XP and OS X.
Being fairly new to OS X, I already suffer from differences in keyb
shortcuts and such.

For instance square brackets put me through a lot of trouble.
I found (on azerty laptop kb) I can get square brackets in OS X using
"option + shift + (" and "option + shift + )"
However this will not work with Emacs....

Are there any specific differences in keyboard shortcuts for Aquamacs
compared to "standard" emacs the way we find it on Windows and Linux?

Thanks a lot,

Erwin

@ 2010-07-29 13:37   ` Erwin Panen
From: Erwin Panen @ 2010-07-29 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Juan,

Thanks a lot for your information and help!
I've edited my makefile according to your example, and everything ran
without any error, so thanks a lot for that.

I must admit being  somehow confused with all my previous trials
dispersed over the past couple of months....
I know I've also installed fink, and I also have emacs under fink somewhere.
Next to that I also had Aquamacs, and Emcsformacosx.

In the mean time I decided to stick with Emacsformacosx for the time
being, the reason being that I want to have as much "standard" behaviour
as possible.

I'm also looking into setting up org-mode with MobileOrg. I use DropBox
for cloud storage.

Now I copied over my .emacs config file from my winXP box to my Mac. Of
course this is a lot different if only for the path and pathstructure.
Now I seem to find e.g. that emacsformacosx is incomplete (if I'm correct).
I don't find any bbdb nor the typical lisp folder....
(GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.29 of
2010-05-09 on black.local)

I also suffer from keyboard shortcut difficulties. (I'm on azerty /
laptop keyb)
I'm totally unable to get square brackets on my Mac. I can type them in
other applications, but not in Emacs.
Do you know of a way around this?

Thanks for helping out,

Erwin

@ 2010-07-29 14:04     ` Juan
From: Juan @ 2010-07-29 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erwin Panen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 03:37:29PM +0200, Erwin Panen wrote:
> Now I copied over my .emacs config file from my winXP box to my Mac.
> Of course this is a lot different if only for the path and
> pathstructure.

In order to have the same .emacs both in mac & linux, I use the
following contitionals in several places in my .emacs:

8<------------------------------------------------------------

;;;;  MAC ONLY MAC ONLY ------------------------------
(when (eq system-type 'darwin)
  (set-exec-path-from-shell-PATH)
  (add-to-list 'exec-path "/Users/jips/bin" )

  ;; MAC ONLY: locate -> mdfind (spotlight)
  (setq locate-command "mdfind")

  ;; command-` to switch frames
  (global-set-key [?\M-`] 'other-frame) ;  # This sets the key binding

  (setq mac-option-key-is-meta nil)
  (setq mac-command-key-is-meta t)
  (setq mac-command-modifier 'meta)
  (setq mac-option-modifier nil)

  ;; JABBER
  (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs_stuff/emacs-jabber-0.8.0")
  (require 'jabber-autoloads)
)

8<------------------------------------------------------------

You may find appropriate tests for your winXP, etc.

> Now I seem to find e.g. that emacsformacosx is incomplete (if I'm correct).
> I don't find any bbdb nor the typical lisp folder....
> (GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.29 of
> 2010-05-09 on black.local)

Maybe the above (setq mac... statements help with getting the correct
behaviour for Command and Option(Alt).

> I also suffer from keyboard shortcut difficulties. (I'm on azerty /
> laptop keyb)

Ugh! Fortunately I live 11000km away from AZERTY keyboards.

I use both english and spanish keyboard layouts. The Alt key works OK
for special keys (accents, etc.).

> I'm totally unable to get square brackets on my Mac. I can type them
> in other applications, but not in Emacs.
> Do you know of a way around this?

A +
.j.

* Re: Help installing org-mode on a MAC please?
@ 2010-07-29 14:11       ` Erwin Panen
From: Erwin Panen @ 2010-07-29 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Juan, wow, that was fast :-)

How do you get your lisp folder with all the typical .el files on your Mac?
I can't seem to find bbdb..
Do you install each and every manually?

Muchas gracias :-)

Erwin

@ 2010-07-29 14:49         ` Juan
From: Juan @ 2010-07-29 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erwin Panen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 04:11:15PM +0200, Erwin Panen wrote:
> How do you get your lisp folder with all the typical .el files on your Mac?
> I can't seem to find bbdb..
> Do you install each and every manually?

Apparently BBDB is not part of the standard emacs distribution (type
F1 C-e and look for BBDB).

I usually install extra packages inside a separate folder (
~/.emacs_stuff/ ). Never installed bbdb though.

Regards,
.j.