* A bright new Org-mode clone project
@ 2010-04-01 17:39 Julien Barnier
                   ` (7 more replies)
From: Julien Barnier @ 2010-04-01 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear org-moders,

Today is quite a special day for me, and for many of org-mode users I
think, because I'm going to introduce a project that, I believe, could
really help to promote and transform org-mode as a major killer-app.

It has been a long time since I think about it, but now I am going to
fork the org-mode project. I say "fork", but I should better say
"clone", because the idea is to reimplement org-mode from scratch
while keeping the same features, and much more.

Why restart from scratch ? Because I think that org-mode should be
easier to install and run on different OSes. That's why I'm going to
rewrite it in C#/Mono : this will assure that the new project can run on
every machine you can think about, and it would be much lighter on
resources (especially memory) than Emacs.

Another major change from the current org-mode will be the shortcuts
and general organization of the interface. Because Emacs keys are
really to complicated and quite outdated, I'm going to reimplement
org-mode with a modern graphical interface, which would be almost
exclusively mouse driven. I also plan to add some 3D compiz-like
effects that would allow some text animation or blinking in order to
make tags and keywords more visible.

As you see, the project is already quite advanced and mature. The last
thing I have to do is to find a name for it. I was thinking of
"smog-mode", or maybe "frog-mode", but I'm open to any suggestion.

And, of course, feel free to join your forces to this bright new
project !

Sincerely,

--
Julien

* Re: A bright new Org-mode clone project
@ 2010-04-01 17:46 ` Detlef Steuer
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2010-04-01 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

.... there must be something special with today ...
:-)

nice one

Detlef

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 19:39:14 +0200
Julien Barnier <julien@no-log.org> wrote:

> Dear org-moders,
>
> Today is quite a special day for me, and for many of org-mode users I
> think, because I'm going to introduce a project that, I believe, could
> really help to promote and transform org-mode as a major killer-app.
>
> It has been a long time since I think about it, but now I am going to
> fork the org-mode project. I say "fork", but I should better say
> "clone", because the idea is to reimplement org-mode from scratch
> while keeping the same features, and much more.
>
> Why restart from scratch ? Because I think that org-mode should be
> easier to install and run on different OSes. That's why I'm going to
> rewrite it in C#/Mono : this will assure that the new project can run on
> every machine you can think about, and it would be much lighter on
> resources (especially memory) than Emacs.
>
> Another major change from the current org-mode will be the shortcuts
> and general organization of the interface. Because Emacs keys are
> really to complicated and quite outdated, I'm going to reimplement
> org-mode with a modern graphical interface, which would be almost
> exclusively mouse driven. I also plan to add some 3D compiz-like
> effects that would allow some text animation or blinking in order to
> make tags and keywords more visible.
>
> As you see, the project is already quite advanced and mature. The last
> thing I have to do is to find a name for it. I was thinking of
> "smog-mode", or maybe "frog-mode", but I'm open to any suggestion.
>
> And, of course, feel free to join your forces to this bright new
> project !
>
> Sincerely,
>
> --
> Julien

* Re: A bright new Org-mode clone project
@ 2010-04-01 18:18 ` Sivaram Neelakantan
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2010-04-01 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Julien Barnier <julien@no-log.org> writes:

> Dear org-moders,
>
> Today is quite a special day for me, and for many of org-mode users I
> think, because I'm going to introduce a project that, I believe, could
> really help to promote and transform org-mode as a major killer-app.

Thank goodness, the killer app is going to special only for today! :-)

[snipped 29 lines]

 sivaram

* Re: A bright new Org-mode clone project
@ 2010-04-01 19:05 ` Eric Schulte
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-04-01 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Barnier; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Julien Barnier <julien@no-log.org> writes:

[...]

> Why restart from scratch ? Because I think that org-mode should be
> easier to install and run on different OSes. That's why I'm going to
> rewrite it in C#/Mono

There are some very good reasons to avoid Mono [1].  If I could
recommend another language; Clojure [2] is a lisp (which would make
elisp translation easier), and it runs on the JVM making it very
portable.

-- Eric

Footnotes:
[1]  http://www.fsf.org/news/dont-depend-on-mono

[2]  http://clojure.org/

* Re: A bright new Org-mode clone project
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-04-01 19:05 ` J. David Boyd
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: J. David Boyd @ 2010-04-01 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Julien Barnier <julien@no-log.org> writes:

> Dear org-moders,
>
> Today is quite a special day for me, and for many of org-mode users I
> think, because I'm going to introduce a project that, I believe, could
> really help to promote and transform org-mode as a major killer-app.
>
> It has been a long time since I think about it, but now I am going to
> fork the org-mode project. I say "fork", but I should better say
> "clone", because the idea is to reimplement org-mode from scratch
> while keeping the same features, and much more.
>
> Why restart from scratch ? Because I think that org-mode should be
> easier to install and run on different OSes. That's why I'm going to
> rewrite it in C#/Mono : this will assure that the new project can run on
> every machine you can think about, and it would be much lighter on
> resources (especially memory) than Emacs.

Get real.  No one writes any real applications in anything other than
QuickBasic!

* Re: A bright new Org-mode clone project
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-04-01 19:36 ` Matt Lundin
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-04-01 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Barnier; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Julien Barnier <julien@no-log.org> writes:

> That's why I'm going to rewrite it in C#/Mono : this will assure that
> the new project can run on every machine you can think about, and it
> would be much lighter on resources (especially memory) than Emacs.

:)

> Because Emacs keys are really to complicated and quite outdated, I'm
> going to reimplement org-mode with a modern graphical interface, which
> would be almost exclusively mouse driven.

I think it would be quite innovative if the user could move
headlines/entries by 1) selecting text with the mouse, 2) using a
drop-down menu option to cut the selection, 3) selecting a destination
with the mouse, and 4) using a drop-down menu option to paste the text.

Also, I would like to request WYSIWYG formatting. Have you considered a
binary format for the files? Then we could use styles to demarcate
separate sections of an org-file instead of all those asterisks!!

> I also plan to add some 3D compiz-like effects that would allow some
> text animation or blinking in order to make tags and keywords more
> visible.

Might I request spinning text? ;)

> As you see, the project is already quite advanced and mature. The last
> thing I have to do is to find a name for it. I was thinking of
> "smog-mode", or maybe "frog-mode", but I'm open to any suggestion.

How about edomgro?

- Matt

* Re: A bright new Org-mode clone project
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-04-01 21:35 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2010-04-01 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Julien Barnier <julien@no-log.org> writes:

[snip]

> Why restart from scratch ? Because I think that org-mode should be
> easier to install and run on different OSes.

Are there other OSes besides Emacs? You are talking about the tiny
embedded ones, aren't you?

> That's why I'm going to rewrite it in C#/Mono :

I have no idea why you want to rewrite org-mode in C++ (aren't you going
too far by superimposing the two `+' to save just one character?) but I
have news for you: org-mode already works fine with monospaced fonts.

But all in all, I'll love to run org-mode on my new VHS video recorder,
no matter the font you use. Good luck!

[snip]

* Re: A bright new Org-mode clone project
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-04-01 23:22 ` Adam
From: Adam @ 2010-04-01 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Friday 02 April 2010 05:39 am, Julien Barnier wrote:
> Dear org-moders,
>
> Today is quite a special day for me, and for many of org-mode users I
> think, because I'm going to introduce a project that, I believe, could
> really help to promote and transform org-mode as a major killer-app.
[ snip ]

Happy April the 1st to you too, Julien.

I daren't announce my Smalltalk Squeak org clone at this stage.

* Re: Re: A bright new Org-mode clone project
@ 2010-04-02  4:15   ` Daniel Goldin
From: Daniel Goldin @ 2010-04-02  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Detlef Steuer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

How about smorgasbord-mode?

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010, Detlef Steuer wrote:

> .... there must be something special with today ...
> :-)
>
> nice one
>
> Detlef
>
> On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 19:39:14 +0200
> Julien Barnier <julien@no-log.org> wrote:
>
> > As you see, the project is already quite advanced and mature. The last
> > thing I have to do is to find a name for it. I was thinking of
> > "smog-mode", or maybe "frog-mode", but I'm open to any suggestion.
> >
> > And, of course, feel free to join your forces to this bright new
> > project !
> >
> > Sincerely,

Daniel Goldin
213.926.1960

* Re: A bright new Org-mode clone project
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-04-02  5:32 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-02  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Barnier; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

:-) This was fun, thanks!

- Carsten

On Apr 1, 2010, at 7:39 PM, Julien Barnier wrote:

> Dear org-moders,
>
> Today is quite a special day for me, and for many of org-mode users I
> think, because I'm going to introduce a project that, I believe, could
> really help to promote and transform org-mode as a major killer-app.
>
> It has been a long time since I think about it, but now I am going to
> fork the org-mode project. I say "fork", but I should better say
> "clone", because the idea is to reimplement org-mode from scratch
> while keeping the same features, and much more.
>
> Why restart from scratch ? Because I think that org-mode should be
> easier to install and run on different OSes. That's why I'm going to
> rewrite it in C#/Mono : this will assure that the new project can
> run on
> every machine you can think about, and it would be much lighter on
> resources (especially memory) than Emacs.
>
> Another major change from the current org-mode will be the shortcuts
> and general organization of the interface. Because Emacs keys are
> really to complicated and quite outdated, I'm going to reimplement
> org-mode with a modern graphical interface, which would be almost
> exclusively mouse driven. I also plan to add some 3D compiz-like
> effects that would allow some text animation or blinking in order to
> make tags and keywords more visible.
>
> As you see, the project is already quite advanced and mature. The last
> thing I have to do is to find a name for it. I was thinking of
> "smog-mode", or maybe "frog-mode", but I'm open to any suggestion.
>
> And, of course, feel free to join your forces to this bright new
> project !
>
> Sincerely,
>
> --
> Julien