* MobileOrg 1.0 for iPhone/iPod Touch now available
@ 2009-11-03 22:19 Richard Moreland
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: Richard Moreland @ 2009-11-03 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

MobileOrg 1.0 is now available in the iTunes AppStore:  http://bit.ly/1kpHqg
   Documentation (including a screencast demonstrating the app) is
available on the website at http://mobileorg.ncogni.to.

Many thanks to Carsten and all the beta testers who helped get it
ready for release.  Feel free to contact me with any questions or
support requests.  If there is a question related to Org-mode
integration, CC: Carsten too, he's the expert on that side of things.

Be sure to use Org-mode 6.32 or later.

Hope you all enjoy.

Thanks,
Richard

* Re: MobileOrg 1.0 for iPhone/iPod Touch now available
@ 2009-11-03 23:38 ` Rick Moynihan
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2009-11-03 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

2009/11/3 Richard Moreland <rlm@ncogni.to>:
> Hi all,
>
> MobileOrg 1.0 is now available in the iTunes AppStore:  http://bit.ly/1kpHqg
>  Documentation (including a screencast demonstrating the app) is available
> on the website at http://mobileorg.ncogni.to.
>
> Many thanks to Carsten and all the beta testers who helped get it ready for
> release.  Feel free to contact me with any questions or support requests.
>  If there is a question related to Org-mode integration, CC: Carsten too,
> he's the expert on that side of things.
>
> Be sure to use Org-mode 6.32 or later.
>
> Hope you all enjoy.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

Very, very nice!  And a well presented screencast to boot!   Almost
makes me want an iphone :-)

R.

* Re: MobileOrg 1.0 for iPhone/iPod Touch now available
@ 2009-11-04  0:31 ` Adam Spiers
                     ` (2 more replies)
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Adam Spiers @ 2009-11-04  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Richard Moreland (rlm@ncogni.to) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> MobileOrg 1.0 is now available in the iTunes AppStore:
> http://bit.ly/1kpHqg  Documentation (including a screencast
> demonstrating the app) is available on the website at
> http://mobileorg.ncogni.to.
>
> Many thanks to Carsten and all the beta testers who helped get it
> ready for release.  Feel free to contact me with any questions or
> support requests.  If there is a question related to Org-mode
> integration, CC: Carsten too, he's the expert on that side of
> things.
>
> Be sure to use Org-mode 6.32 or later.

Looks like fantastic work, congratulations!  Thank heavens I finally
got Ubuntu/emacs/orgmode/git running natively on my Android phone,
otherwise I'd be green with envy ;-)

* Re: MobileOrg 1.0 for iPhone/iPod Touch now available
@ 2009-11-04  4:49 ` Carsten Dominik
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-04  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everyone,

this is really amazing and a dream come true - All my Org files
with me on the go.  The application is much better than what I
originally had envisioned it could be, congratulations
Richard.

Since the app is Open Source, and since the Emacs/Org-mode side of the
synchronization is implemented and working quite well,  maybe someone
will
be interested to port the app to Android?  I am sure Richard would help.

- Carsten

On Nov 3, 2009, at 11:19 PM, Richard Moreland wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> MobileOrg 1.0 is now available in the iTunes AppStore:  http://bit.ly/1kpHqg
>   Documentation (including a screencast demonstrating the app) is
> available on the website at http://mobileorg.ncogni.to.
>
> Many thanks to Carsten and all the beta testers who helped get it
> ready for release.  Feel free to contact me with any questions or
> support requests.  If there is a question related to Org-mode
> integration, CC: Carsten too, he's the expert on that side of things.
>
> Be sure to use Org-mode 6.32 or later.
>
> Hope you all enjoy.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

- Carsten

* Re: MobileOrg 1.0 for iPhone/iPod Touch now available
@ 2009-11-04  7:01   ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2009-11-04  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Spiers, emacs-orgmode

Hi

Looks like fantastic work, congratulations!  Thank heavens I finally
> got Ubuntu/emacs/orgmode/git running natively on my Android phone,
> otherwise I'd be green with envy ;-)

That means you run a full emacs23 together with org-mode on your phone :o

.... oh thanks now I'm be green with envy :P ....

Any docs, how-tos, screencasts, screenshots, notes, tips and tricks ?

Regards,

Torsten

To be not OT: Where should someone start to learn about the interaction
between org-mode and the mobile app...

* Re: MobileOrg 1.0 for iPhone/iPod Touch now available
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-11-04 16:30 ` Bob Erb
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bob Erb @ 2009-11-04 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Congratulations, Richard!  You've done an excellent job.

The app is beautiful, and the website is, too.

- Bob

* Re: MobileOrg 1.0 for iPhone/iPod Touch now available
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-11-04 17:01 ` Xin Shi
From: Xin Shi @ 2009-11-04 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Richard,

Thanks for this app!

Actually I get to know it's on AppStore by looking at your webpage, I've
been checking that page after 10/18 :)

I've installed on my iPod Touch and it works great!

The only comment I have is about the documentation page.

http://mobileorg.ncogni.to/doc/getting-started/setup-your-webdav-account/

Once I  set up the account (on myDisk.se), I uploaded the org file using
their web interface.  It would be nice to give instructions on how to "push"
the org file from Emacs directly at this page.

I'll read more instruction later...

Best,
Xin

@ 2009-11-04 22:34   ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-11-04 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Woot!

If org-mode alone is a reason to start using emacs, mobile-org is a good
reason to buy an ipod-touch or iphone :) Awesome work!

PS: I really like the webpage's design.

Marcelo.

@ 2009-11-04 22:54     ` Raffi R
From: Raffi R @ 2009-11-04 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is anyone interested in putting together a Maemo port? I'd be willing
to take a look at writing some of the backend (but not the UI...).

- Raffi.

@ 2009-11-04 23:56       ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-11-04 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

A symbian OS port would be nice too :)

@ 2009-11-05  7:11   ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-11-05  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Spiers, emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 6:01 AM, Adam Spiers wrote:
> Richard Moreland (rlm@ncogni.to) wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> MobileOrg 1.0 is now available in the iTunes AppStore:
>> http://bit.ly/1kpHqg  Documentation (including a screencast
>> demonstrating the app) is available on the website at
>> http://mobileorg.ncogni.to.
>>
>> Many thanks to Carsten and all the beta testers who helped get it
>> ready for release.  Feel free to contact me with any questions or
>> support requests.  If there is a question related to Org-mode
>> integration, CC: Carsten too, he's the expert on that side of
>> things.
>>
>> Be sure to use Org-mode 6.32 or later.
>
> Looks like fantastic work, congratulations!  Thank heavens I finally
> got Ubuntu/emacs/orgmode/git running natively on my Android phone,
> otherwise I'd be green with envy ;-)

I met rhomobile folks at a conference today.  Essentially, you develop
an app on their framework (in Ruby, I think) and your app can then be
natively exported/compiled for iPhone, Android, Symbian, Windows
Mobile and Blackberry (no Maemo.)  It's free for apps to be released
under GPLv3.  I find the whole concept quite fascinating.

http://rhomobile.com/

--
Manish

* Re: MobileOrg 1.0 for iPhone/iPod Touch now available
@ 2009-11-05 10:46     ` Tim O'Callaghan
From: Tim O'Callaghan @ 2009-11-05 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

2009/11/5 Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 6:01 AM, Adam Spiers wrote:
>> Richard Moreland (rlm@ncogni.to) wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> MobileOrg 1.0 is now available in the iTunes AppStore:
>>> http://bit.ly/1kpHqg  Documentation (including a screencast
>>> demonstrating the app) is available on the website at
>>> http://mobileorg.ncogni.to.
>>>
>>> Many thanks to Carsten and all the beta testers who helped get it
>>> ready for release.  Feel free to contact me with any questions or
>>> support requests.  If there is a question related to Org-mode
>>> integration, CC: Carsten too, he's the expert on that side of
>>> things.
>>>
>>> Be sure to use Org-mode 6.32 or later.
>>
>> Looks like fantastic work, congratulations!  Thank heavens I finally
>> got Ubuntu/emacs/orgmode/git running natively on my Android phone,
>> otherwise I'd be green with envy ;-)
>
> I met rhomobile folks at a conference today.  Essentially, you develop
> an app on their framework (in Ruby, I think) and your app can then be
> natively exported/compiled for iPhone, Android, Symbian, Windows
> Mobile and Blackberry (no Maemo.)  It's free for apps to be released
> under GPLv3.  I find the whole concept quite fascinating.
>
> http://rhomobile.com/

Another option that i think is worth mentioning, because of
org-info.js, is Javascript Widgets. They are cross platform, insofar
as they seem to be an open web technology. They will run on any
platform that has a compatible JavaScript environment. The Opera
Browser platforms will let you run widgets on Windows mobile and
almost all Symbian devices, as well as the usual desktop environments.
I believe the iphone has a widget capability too.

Opera has an SDK:
http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/opera-widgets-sdk/
http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/opera-desktop-widgets-evolved/

Tim.

* Re: MobileOrg 1.0 for iPhone/iPod Touch now available
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-11-06 11:36 ` Juan Reyero
From: Juan Reyero @ 2009-11-06 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everyone,

This is sweet.  Got orgmobile working with my mac, with local apache
and local wifi network, and it's just amazing how well it works.

One glitch, though, is that it does not export tags-todo custom agenda
views.  I've made the small change to make it work:

index 5e3ccdc..4019105 100644
--- a/lisp/org-mobile.el
+++ b/lisp/org-mobile.el
@@ -428,7 +428,7 @@ The table of checksums is written to the file mobile-checksu
        ((memq (nth 2 e) '(todo-tree tags-tree occur-tree))
        ;; These are trees, not really agenda commands
        )
-       ((memq (nth 2 e) '(agenda todo tags))
+       ((memq (nth 2 e) '(agenda todo tags tags-todo))
        ;; a normal command
        (setq key (car e) desc (nth 1 e) type (nth 2 e) match (nth 3 e)
              settings (nth 4 e))

It still does not export most of my ridiculously complex custom
agendas, but it's good enough.

Thanks again for a great piece of software,

Juan
http://juanreyero.com

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 11:19 PM, Richard Moreland <rlm@ncogni.to> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> MobileOrg 1.0 is now available in the iTunes AppStore:  http://bit.ly/1kpHqg
>  Documentation (including a screencast demonstrating the app) is available
> on the website at http://mobileorg.ncogni.to.
>
> Many thanks to Carsten and all the beta testers who helped get it ready for
> release.  Feel free to contact me with any questions or support requests.
>  If there is a question related to Org-mode integration, CC: Carsten too,
> he's the expert on that side of things.
>
> Be sure to use Org-mode 6.32 or later.
>
> Hope you all enjoy.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

http://juanreyero.com/blog
http://unarueda.com

* Re: MobileOrg 1.0 for iPhone/iPod Touch now available
@ 2009-11-08 18:17         ` Anupam Sengupta
From: Anupam Sengupta @ 2009-11-08 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

    Marcelo> A symbian OS port would be nice too :)

    Completely second that ... would be a great addition to my Nokia E71
    ... downloading on my iPod Touch right now.

[...]

[...]

* Re: MobileOrg 1.0 for iPhone/iPod Touch now available
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-11-09  5:08 ` Baoqiu Cui
From: Baoqiu Cui @ 2009-11-09  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Richard Moreland <rlm@ncogni.to> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> MobileOrg 1.0 is now available in the iTunes AppStore:
> http://bit.ly/1kpHqg Documentation (including a screencast demonstrating
> the app) is  available on the website at http://mobileorg.ncogni.to.
>
> Many thanks to Carsten and all the beta testers who helped get it  ready
> for release.  Feel free to contact me with any questions or  support
> requests.  If there is a question related to Org-mode  integration, CC:
> Carsten too, he's the expert on that side of things.
>
> Be sure to use Org-mode 6.32 or later.
>
> Hope you all enjoy.

Richard and Carsten,

Thanks a lot for this great work!!!  Just installed MobileOrg today and
tried it out; everything worked so well!  I really like the interface!

It might be helpful if you can list more WebDAV servers (free or not) on
the web site.

--
Baoqiu

* Re: MobileOrg 1.0 for iPhone/iPod Touch now available
@ 2009-11-09  6:19   ` Noorul Islam
From: Noorul Islam @ 2009-11-09  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Spiers, emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 6:01 AM, Adam Spiers <orgmode@adamspiers.org> wrote:

>> Be sure to use Org-mode 6.32 or later.
>
> Looks like fantastic work, congratulations!  Thank heavens I finally
> got Ubuntu/emacs/orgmode/git running natively on my Android phone,
> otherwise I'd be green with envy ;-)

Can you share your experience with us?

Thanks
Noorul

* Re: MobileOrg 1.0 for iPhone/iPod Touch now available
@ 2009-11-10 13:55       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2009-11-10 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

At Wed, 4 Nov 2009 17:54:01 -0500,
Raffi R wrote:

> Is anyone interested in putting together a Maemo port? I'd be willing
> to take a look at writing some of the backend (but not the UI...).
>
> - Raffi.

I'd be interested although I have to question the need: emacs (at
least v22) is available on Maemo and I therefore use org-mode directly
on my N810.  Of course, it may be nice to have something a bit more
lightweight than a full Emacs on such a system...

* emacs + orgmode on Ubuntu on Android G1
@ 2009-11-26 19:10     ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2009-11-26 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 11:49:05AM +0530, Noorul Islam wrote:
> Can you share your experience with us?

Sorry for the slow reply.  I don't have time to go into exact details
but I updated this page:

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsOnAndroid

so it should have everything you need.

It's all pretty easy really.  The hardest bit is rooting the phone and
setting up an ext2 (or ext3, I can't remember) partition on the SD
card, and even that's well documented by now.

Once you have the Ubuntu chroot image downloaded and unpacked onto
that partition, starting up Ubuntu is trivial, and then installing
emacs and org-mode is as easy as doing it on a normal Linux box :-)

I still need to try and trim down the emacs install, as it takes a
loooong time to load, and the phone is already pretty short of memory
in general.  Scot already posted some ideas to this list on how to do
it; I added a link to his article from the wiki page.

* Running debian + emacs on my Android G1 [was: emacs + orgmode on Ubuntu on Android G1]
@ 2009-11-28 13:02       ` Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs
From: Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs @ 2009-11-28 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

I just upgraded (!) my G1 to CyanogenMod yesterday, because I want to
try out emacs on it, too.

I must say CyanogenMod rocks! It's much more snappy than the stock
build and the things you can do with it really rock (running debian on
my phone is so cool) ;)

Thank you very much for pushing me over the cliff, I was thinking
about finally rooting my phone for quite a while now! ;)

I have to say one thing about the debian install though:

Adam Spiers schrieb:
> On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 04:01:11PM +0900, Torsten Wagner wrote:
> Sorry for the slow reply.  I don't have time to go into exact details
> but I updated this page:
>
>   http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsOnAndroid

The debian "installer" you link to on the wiki is technically very
unsound. If you look at the installer.sh and debootstrap scripts
you'll see that they are full of magical thinking, smoke and mirrors.

e.g. if you want debootstrap to run faster, remove all the "sleep 1"
calls he inserted, maybe along with the totally fake echo messages.
You can keep the ascii penguin logo, it's kinda neat. And doing chmod
4755 on everything in /system/bin is plain madness. It's clear
indication that the guy who posted that installer didn't know a bit of
what he was doing.

(I didn't look at the ubuntu installer.)

To give you a quick heads up of what I'm doing:

I find the instructions in
[[http://bayleshanks.com/tips-computer-android-g1][Bayle Shanks's
website: tips-computer-android-g1]] technically much more sound. It's
a bit more involved, but someone with sound experience in systems
administration could quickly make a good installer out of his
instructions. Yesterday it took me about 30 minutes to an hour, but
after that I had a fresh debian install, with just the bits I wanted.
Together with emacs and the application cache it takes about 512MB, so
I just resized my ext2 partition to 1024MB with gparted, to make room
for some org-mode and git goodness.

Next step I'm going to do is add a non-root user, not sure how to do
this properly, yet, and configure it to sync my config and org-mode
files. I don't feel comfortable working as root all the time.

I'll keep you posted and when I'm done with a working org-mode setup,
I'll update the entry on the emacs wiki.

> I still need to try and trim down the emacs install, as it takes a
> loooong time to load, and the phone is already pretty short of memory
> in general.  Scot already posted some ideas to this list on how to do
> it; I added a link to his article from the wiki page.
---Zitatende---

I didn't run emacs yet, but I have a suspicion that it might run a
little faster on a native ext3 partition than from an image file. Also
I have some conditions in my emacs config files for a very slow box
already (my toshiba libretto is even slower than the android phone),
so I'll see if I can get a usable setup.

I'm certainly not going to try X, since I don't like the vnc client,
it's terminal or nothing!

If I decide it's not worth the effort I can always delete my debian
changeroot and resize the partition again ;)

Have nice weekend!
     Friedel
--
        Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs <friedel@nomaden.org>
                             TauPan on Ircnet and Freenode ;)

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* Re: Running debian + emacs on my Android G1 [was: emacs + orgmode on Ubuntu on Android G1]
@ 2009-11-29  1:13         ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2009-11-29  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

[sorry this is getting a little off-topic for non-Android users]

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 02:02:06PM +0100, Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I just upgraded (!) my G1 to CyanogenMod yesterday, because I want to
> try out emacs on it, too.
>
> I must say CyanogenMod rocks! It's much more snappy than the stock
> build and the things you can do with it really rock (running debian on
> my phone is so cool) ;)

I agree!  I just upgraded mine to CyanogenMod too, although it's not
required; I was quite happily running emacs and Ubuntu on an older
JesusFreke firmware before.

> Adam Spiers schrieb:
> > On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 04:01:11PM +0900, Torsten Wagner wrote:
> > Sorry for the slow reply.  I don't have time to go into exact details
> > but I updated this page:
> >
> >   http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsOnAndroid
>
> The debian "installer" you link to on the wiki is technically very
> unsound. If you look at the installer.sh and debootstrap scripts
> you'll see that they are full of magical thinking, smoke and mirrors.

The Debian links were added by someone else - I've only tried the
Ubuntu image which I linked to.

> e.g. if you want debootstrap to run faster, remove all the "sleep 1"
> calls he inserted, maybe along with the totally fake echo messages.
> You can keep the ascii penguin logo, it's kinda neat. And doing chmod
> 4755 on everything in /system/bin is plain madness. It's clear
> indication that the guy who posted that installer didn't know a bit of
> what he was doing.
>
> (I didn't look at the ubuntu installer.)

Yikes, 4755 certainly sounds mad - however the permissions in my
/system/bin are much saner, so presumably the ubuntu installer doesn't
do that.

> To give you a quick heads up of what I'm doing:
>
> I find the instructions in
> [[http://bayleshanks.com/tips-computer-android-g1][Bayle Shanks's
> website: tips-computer-android-g1]] technically much more sound. It's
> a bit more involved, but someone with sound experience in systems
> administration could quickly make a good installer out of his
> instructions. Yesterday it took me about 30 minutes to an hour, but
> after that I had a fresh debian install, with just the bits I wanted.
> Together with emacs and the application cache it takes about 512MB, so
> I just resized my ext2 partition to 1024MB with gparted, to make room
> for some org-mode and git goodness.
>
> Next step I'm going to do is add a non-root user, not sure how to do
> this properly, yet, and configure it to sync my config and org-mode
> files. I don't feel comfortable working as root all the time.
>
> I'll keep you posted and when I'm done with a working org-mode setup,
> I'll update the entry on the emacs wiki.

That would be great, thanks!

> I didn't run emacs yet, but I have a suspicion that it might run a
> little faster on a native ext3 partition than from an image file.

What do you mean by an image file - does yours involve some kind of
loopback?  My Ubuntu install is simply a root filesystem under
/system/sd/ubuntu (and /system/sd is native ext3) therefore a simple
chroot /system/sd/ubuntu plus mounting of /dev/pts, /proc, and /sys
inside it are sufficient to provide the Ubuntu environment.

* Re: Running debian + emacs on my Android G1
@ 2009-11-29  9:44         ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2009-11-29  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs <friedel@nomaden.org> wrote:

> I just upgraded (!) my G1 to CyanogenMod yesterday, because I want to
> try out emacs on it, too.

I am wondering if you can you stills make call with the CyanogenMod?

Take care,
--
Ivan
Kanis http://kanis.fr

Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood.
    -- Marie Curie

* Re: [Android] Running debian + emacs on my Android G1 [was: emacs +  orgmode on Ubuntu on Android G1]
@ 2009-11-29 13:00           ` Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs
From: Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs @ 2009-11-29 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!
Adam Spiers schrieb:
> [sorry this is getting a little off-topic for non-Android users]

Yes, but the point is getting org-mode to run on android.

I propose we add [Android] as a cookie to the subject lines, so people
can filter them.

> On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 02:02:06PM +0100, Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs wrote:
> > The debian "installer" you link to on the wiki is technically very
> > unsound. If you look at the installer.sh and debootstrap scripts
> > you'll see that they are full of magical thinking, smoke and mirrors.
> The Debian links were added by someone else - I've only tried the
> Ubuntu image which I linked to.

I see. I didn't look at the changelog for the page ;)

> > (I didn't look at the ubuntu installer.)
> Yikes, 4755 certainly sounds mad - however the permissions in my
> /system/bin are much saner, so presumably the ubuntu installer doesn't
> do that.

Ok.

> > I'll keep you posted and when I'm done with a working org-mode setup,
> > I'll update the entry on the emacs wiki.
> That would be great, thanks!

A small update, I'm not done yet:

I have emacs + org-mode running now, but it's very slow. Emacs on
its own runs and starts quite fast, but as soon as I add my whole
config, it takes 90 seconds to start, and 30 seconds to change in the
org-mode agenda from one day to another.

As 30 seconds are way too long, I'm obviously going to try cut down my
config and maybe just use a subset of my org-files on the phone.

If I can't that last figure below 5 seconds I think the experiment is
going to be called off as a failure. (Or maybe I'll just use the local
emacs as an emergency fallback if I have no network access.)

Apparently some system administration tasks on the debian installation
take so much memory that the whole system gets unstable, because the
oom killer is going to kill important services. I just had to reboot
my phone after generating a UTF8 locale. I looked at adb logcat and
the android core was very unhappy and killed every service it could
find, even the phone service... So I probably want to make sure I
don't need to use my phone when administrating the debian
installation.

> > I didn't run emacs yet, but I have a suspicion that it might run a
> > little faster on a native ext3 partition than from an image file.
> What do you mean by an image file - does yours involve some kind of
> loopback?  My Ubuntu install is simply a root filesystem under
> /system/sd/ubuntu (and /system/sd is native ext3) therefore a simple
> chroot /system/sd/ubuntu plus mounting of /dev/pts, /proc, and /sys
> inside it are sufficient to provide the Ubuntu environment.

The debian installer uses a loopback mount, as it doesn't require a
native ext filesystem. This is probably handy, but I guess most root
mods these days use an ext partition anyway, so why not just use
that...

Kind regards
     Friedel
--
        Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs <friedel@nomaden.org>
                             TauPan on Ircnet and Freenode ;)

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* Re: [Android] Re: Running debian + emacs on my Android G1
@ 2009-11-29 13:01           ` Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs
From: Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs @ 2009-11-29 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ivan Kanis schrieb:
> > I just upgraded (!) my G1 to CyanogenMod yesterday, because I want to
> > try out emacs on it, too.
> I am wondering if you can you stills make call with the CyanogenMod?
---Zitatende---

Sure!

--

@ 2009-11-29 22:08             ` Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs
From: Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs @ 2009-11-29 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

A small update, I'll probably continue next weekend:

> I have emacs + org-mode running now, but it's very slow. Emacs on
> its own runs and starts quite fast, but as soon as I add my whole
> config, it takes 90 seconds to start, and 30 seconds to change in the
> org-mode agenda from one day to another.

I've put some 'if's around the parts of my emacs config that I don't
need on my phone, and I also cut down on the org files (no
Someday/Maybe stuff on the phone, it's not relevant for the agenda
anyways... hm, I could actually leave those out of my agenda
everywhere).

I got down to 9 seconds for changing to the next day, and 20 seconds
for changing to the next week. (Emacs startup time stays at a constant
90 seconds, even though I've cut out many elisp files.)

I think if I separate my Notes (i.e. pure reference Material) into
separate files, I'm going to make it under 5 seconds.

In an old thread I read Carsten talking about implementing some kind
of cacheing mechanism for the agenda, I think at this point I'd be
interested in something like that ;)

Memory usage while using org + emacs is ok, I can even leave emacs
running in the background. If it's idle, I won't even notice it's
still running (Yay for Apps2SD, it really frees up the main memory of
the phone).

As using this via the small keyboard is still awkward, even with speed
keys (let's face it: emacs just wasn't made for small keyboards), and
because it's still going to be slow, even if I can optimize it a bit,
I guess I'll still be going forward with my plans for integrating
org-mode with Remember The Milk.

But now I'm really tempted to start using mutt as a mail client on the
phone ;)

Have a good week!
     Friedel
--

@ 2009-12-01 12:59               ` Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs
From: Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs @ 2009-12-01 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ok, summary of my experiences so far:

Emacs runs nicely, but uses a lot of memory with org mode, and it's
hard to use the agenda and probably difficult to make it run much
faster.

Thus I'll only be using the local emacs on my android phone as a
fallback when I have no (fast) network access, otherwise I'll use it
via ssh on a much faster host.

> As using this via the small keyboard is still awkward, even with speed
> keys (let's face it: emacs just wasn't made for small keyboards), and
> because it's still going to be slow, even if I can optimize it a bit,
> I guess I'll still be going forward with my plans for integrating
> org-mode with Remember The Milk.

As a sideeffect of this experiment, I have my org mode set up in a way
that is much more convenient to use on a small keyboard, that way I
can use it via ssh (connectbot) quite comfortably now. (speed commands
and tag selection keys are especially handy)

> But now I'm really tempted to start using mutt as a mail client on the
> phone ;)
---Zitatende---

Now this is really off-topic, but mutt runs very well on the g1 ;)

--

@ 2009-12-05 15:50                 ` Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs
From: Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs @ 2009-12-05 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode