* Release 6.33
@ 2009-11-13  8:51 Carsten Dominik
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-13  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

here are the Changes in the latest release 6.33.  Emacs 23.2, when it
will be released (March?) will use this release, at least in terms of
features.

There is some very cool stuff in this release.  If you like to move
and type fast, pay special attention to speed commands and level
indentation cycling.  But there is much more, make sure you read the
notes carefully.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

Enjoy!

- Carsten

Changes in Version 6.33
=======================

Incompatible changes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reorganize key bindings for archiving
======================================

The following keys now do archiving

C-c C-x C-a: archive using the command specified in
      `org-archive-default-command'.  This variable is by default
      set to `org-archive-subtree', which means arching to the
      archive file.

The three specific archiving commands are available through

C-c C-x C-s:    archive to archive file
C-c C-x a:     toggle the archive tag
C-c C-x A:   move to archive sibling

These bindings work the same in an Org file, and in the agenda.

In addition:

- In the agenda you can also use `a' to call the default archiving
   command, but you need to confirm the command with `y' so that this
   cannot easily happen by accident.

- For backward compatibility, `C-c $' in an org-mode file, and
   `$' in the agenda buffer continue to archive to archive file.

Details
~~~~~~~~

Level indentation cycling new empty entries and plain list items

To speed up data entry, TAB now behaves special in an empty
headline, i.e. if the current line only contains the headline
starter stars, maybe a TOD keyword, but no further content.  This
is usually the situation just after creating a new headline with
`M-RET' or `M-S-RET'.

Then, TAB will first make the current entry a child of the
entry above, then a parent, then a grand parent etc until it
reaches top level.  Yet another TAB and you will be back at the
initial level at which the headline was created.

New plain list items behave in just the same way.

Sounds strange?  Try it, it is insanely fast when entering data.
If you still don't like it, turn it off by customizing
`org-cycle-level-after-item/entry-creation'.

Thanks to [Samuel Wales] and [John Wiegley] for ideas that
contributed to this new feature.

[Samuel Wales]: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/18236
[John Wiegley]: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/18447/focus%3D19015

Speed commands at the start of a headline

If you set the variable `org-use-speed-commands', the cursor
position at the beginning of a headline (i.e. before the first
star) becomes special.  Single keys execute special commands in
this place, for example outline navigation with `f', `b', `n',
and `p', equivalent to the corresponding `C-c C-f', `C-c C-b',
`C-c C-n', and `C-c C-f' commands.  The full list of commands can
be seen by pressing `?' at the special location.  More commands
can be added and existing ones modified by configuring the
variable `org-speed-commands-user'.

This was a request by John Wiegley, based on similar speed
navigation in /allout.el/.

Logging changes in scheduling and deadline time stamps

Setting the variables `org-log-reschedule' and
`org-log-redeadline' to either `time' or `note' will arrange for
recording a logbook entry whenever a scheduling date or deadline
is changed.

This was a request by Rick Moynihan.

File remember notes into a date tree
=====================================

Remember notes can now be filed to a location in a date tree.  A
date tree is an outline tree with years as top levels, months as
level 2 headings, and days as level three headings.  These are
great for journals and for recording appointments and other loose
dates because it will be easy to find all entries referencing a
particular date, and it will be easy to archive all such entry
from last year, for example.

To select date tree filing, set the HEADLINE part of the remember
template to the symbol `date-tree'.  The date tree will be build
in the file on top level.  However, if the file contains an entry
with a non-nil `DATE_TREE' property, then the tree will be build
under that headline.

New commands to create entries from agenda and calendar

If you make the variable `org-agenda-diary-file' point to an
org-mode file, the `i' key in both the agenda buffer and in the
Emacs calendar will be made to insert entries into that Org file.
The dates at the cursor and the mark are being used when making
entries for specific dates or blocks.  In the new file,
anniversaries will be collected under a special headline, and
day/block entries will be filed into a date tree (see previous
section).

This was a request by Stephen Eglen.

A new freemind exporter has been integrated with Org-mode

org-freemind.el has a number of entry points (for details, see
the source code), but you can also use Org's `C-c C-e m' to
export a file or a selected subtree.

Thanks to Lennart Borgman for this contribution.  An earlier
version of this file was part of the nxhtml package, under the
name /freemind.el/.

Drawers are now exported properly
==================================

Drawers are now exported when the configuration requires it,
i.e. if the variable `org-export-with-drawers' is t or a list
containing the drawers to export.

Min/Max/Mean age operators in Column View.

This lets you see how much time has passed since the specified
timestamp property each entry. The three operators (`@min',
`@max', `@mean') show either the age of the youngest or oldest
entry or the average age of the children.

Thanks to James TD Smith for a patch to this effect.

Allow source code block indentation to be preserved

If `org-src-preserve-indentation' is non-nil, or if a block has a
`-i' switch, then the behavior of org-exp-blocks is altered as
follows:

1. Indentation is not removed before passing the block contents
    to the block-transforming plugin.

2. The result returned by the plugin is not re-indented.

3. Editing the source code block with =C-c '= preserves it's
    indentation.

Thanks to Dan Davison for this feature.

Frame/window control when switching to source code edit buffer.

When switching to a source code editing buffer with =C-c '=, you
can now control the frame / window setup using the new variable
`org-src-window-setup'.

Thanks to Dan Davison for this feature.

Refile an entry to the current clock
=====================================

You can now quickly refile an entry to become a child of the
entry currently being clocked.  The keys for doing this are
`C-2 C-c C-w'.

This was a request by Bernt Hansen.

Make `C-c C-o' open the attachment directory is there are no links

If there is no link in an entry, `C-c C-o' will now open the
attachment directory instead.

This was a request/patch by John Wiegley.

org-mac-iCal.el: work with calendar "groups"
multiple calendars (or to an account) by grouping them under a
single caldav directory in the calendar tree.  org-mac-iCal used
to assumes there is only one ics file created per caldav
directory, so while it *creates* all of the needed merged ics
files, it only copies one of them to ~/Library/Calendar before
importing the contents into the diary.

Thanks to Doug Hellmann for a patch to fix this.

New module /org-learn.el/ in the contrib directory

The file implements the learning algorithm described at
[http://supermemo.com/english/ol/sm5.htm], which is a system for reading
material according to "spaced repetition".  See
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced\_repetition] for more details.

Thanks to John Wiegley for this contribution.

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced\_repetition]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced_repetition

New contributed package /org-git-link.el/

/org-git-link.el/ defines two new link types. The `git' link type
is meant to be used in the typical scenario and mimics the `file'
link syntax as closely as possible.  The `gitbare' link type
exists mostly for debugging reasons, but also allows e.g.
linking to files in a bare git repository for the experts.

Thanks to Raimar Finken for this contribution.

/org-annotation-helper.el/ and /org-browser-url.e./ have been removed

Please switch to /org-protocol.el/, into which contains the same
functionality in a more general framework.

The contributed /org-export-freemind/ package has been removed.

Org now contains a new freemind exporter, /org-freemind.el/.

Org-babel Changes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- Clojure is supported [Thanks to Joel Boehland]
- Perl is supported
- Ruby and Python now respond to the :file header argument
- Added :results_switches header argument for passing switches
   through to raw src blocks
- Preserve indentation in source blocks on export and tangle
- Possible to evaluate noweb reference on tangling or code block
   evaluation
- Allowing multiple noweb references on a single line
- Cleaned up the passing of parameter values from Org-babel to
   language specific functions

* Re: Release 6.33
@ 2009-11-13 15:19 ` Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2009-11-13 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Speed commands at the start of a headline
>
> If you set the variable `org-use-speed-commands', the cursor
> position at the beginning of a headline (i.e. before the first
> star) becomes special.  Single keys execute special commands in
> this place, for example outline navigation with `f', `b', `n',
> and `p', equivalent to the corresponding `C-c C-f', `C-c C-b',
> `C-c C-n', and `C-c C-f' commands.  …

  With this great feature I can avoid moving the hands to the cursor
keys!  I used them mostly for M-up, M-down, M-left, M-right, which I
can do now with C-a U  etc.

  Thanks for surprising us again

* Re: Release 6.33
@ 2009-11-13 17:48 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2009-11-13 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

At Fri, 13 Nov 2009 09:51:11 +0100,
Carsten Dominik wrote:

> here are the Changes in the latest release 6.33.  Emacs 23.2, when it

[...]

> Speed commands at the start of a headline

Excellent addition!  This makes org-mode even /more/ usable on systems
with very small keyboards (like smartphones etc).  I'd been using
viper-mode to have single key movement in org-mode buffers but you've
not only made this possible but have completely exceeded my
requirements through all the extra commands available (clocking in,
etc.).  Fantastic!

Thanks,
eric

* Re: Release 6.33
@ 2009-11-13 18:42   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-13 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Nov 13, 2009, at 6:48 PM, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> At Fri, 13 Nov 2009 09:51:11 +0100,
> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>
>> here are the Changes in the latest release 6.33.  Emacs 23.2, when it
>
> [...]
>
>> Speed commands at the start of a headline
>
> Excellent addition!  This makes org-mode even /more/ usable on systems
> with very small keyboards (like smartphones etc).  I'd been using
> viper-mode to have single key movement in org-mode buffers but you've
> not only made this possible but have completely exceeded my
> requirements through all the extra commands available (clocking in,
> etc.).  Fantastic!

Hi Eric,

yes, I agree that this is very useful on ttys and mobile devices.
When you use it, please make a note when you notice additional
commands hat would be useful in this way - the keymap is far from full.

- Carsten

* Re: Release 6.33
@ 2009-11-13 18:48   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-13 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Nov 13, 2009, at 6:48 PM, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> At Fri, 13 Nov 2009 09:51:11 +0100,
> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>
>> here are the Changes in the latest release 6.33.  Emacs 23.2, when it
>
> [...]
>
>> Speed commands at the start of a headline
>
> Excellent addition!  This makes org-mode even /more/ usable on systems
> with very small keyboards (like smartphones etc).  I'd been using
> viper-mode to have single key movement in org-mode buffers but you've
> not only made this possible but have completely exceeded my
> requirements through all the extra commands available (clocking in,
> etc.).  Fantastic!

Hi Eric,

yes, I agree that this is very useful on ttys and mobile devices.
When you use it, please make a note when you notice additional
commands hat would be useful in this way - the keymap is far from full.

- Carsten

* Re: Speed commands (was: Release 6.33)
@ 2009-11-13 19:16     ` Stephan Schmitt
From: Stephan Schmitt @ 2009-11-13 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Nov 13, 2009, at 6:48 PM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
>
>> Excellent addition!  This makes org-mode even /more/ usable on systems
>> with very small keyboards (like smartphones etc).  I'd been using
>> viper-mode to have single key movement in org-mode buffers but you've
>> not only made this possible but have completely exceeded my
>> requirements through all the extra commands available (clocking in,
>> etc.).  Fantastic!
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> yes, I agree that this is very useful on ttys and mobile devices.
> When you use it, please make a note when you notice additional
> commands hat would be useful in this way - the keymap is far from full.
>
> - Carsten

... so there are keys left to spend unique keys for the 'agenda' and
'archive' commands ;-)

Stephan
(who loves the speed commands, too)

* Re: Speed commands (was: Release 6.33)
@ 2009-11-13 19:30       ` Carsten Dominik
                           ` (3 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-13 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Nov 13, 2009, at 8:16 PM, Stephan Schmitt wrote:

> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>> On Nov 13, 2009, at 6:48 PM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
>>> Excellent addition!  This makes org-mode even /more/ usable on
>>> systems
>>> with very small keyboards (like smartphones etc).  I'd been using
>>> viper-mode to have single key movement in org-mode buffers but
>>> you've
>>> not only made this possible but have completely exceeded my
>>> requirements through all the extra commands available (clocking in,
>>> etc.).  Fantastic!
>> Hi Eric,
>> yes, I agree that this is very useful on ttys and mobile devices.
>> When you use it, please make a note when you notice additional
>> commands hat would be useful in this way - the keymap is far from
>> full.
>> - Carsten
>
> ... so there are keys left to spend unique keys for the 'agenda' and
> 'archive' commands ;-)

In the speed map, yes, there is space, and you can add keys yourself.
But I would recommend making these with confirmation query.

(setq org-speed-commands-user
       '(("A" . (let ((org-archive-default-command
		      'org-archive-to-archive-sibling))
		 (org-archive-subtree-default-with-confirmation)))))

I am happy to have a discussion what additional
commands should be present by default.

- Carsten

* Re: Release 6.33
@ 2009-11-13 19:41     ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2009-11-13 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> writes:

> On Nov 13, 2009, at 6:48 PM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
>
>> At Fri, 13 Nov 2009 09:51:11 +0100,
>> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>>
>>> here are the Changes in the latest release 6.33.  Emacs 23.2, when it
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> Speed commands at the start of a headline
>>> ==========================================
>>
>> Excellent addition!  This makes org-mode even /more/ usable on systems
>> with very small keyboards (like smartphones etc).  I'd been using
>> viper-mode to have single key movement in org-mode buffers but you've
>> not only made this possible but have completely exceeded my
>> requirements through all the extra commands available (clocking in,
>> etc.).  Fantastic!

Me too, this looks great. I think it's going to have me learning lots of
org commands that I hadn't got round to learning before. My first
questions:

n   outline-next-visible-heading
p   outline-previous-visible-heading
f   org-forward-same-level
b   org-backward-same-level

It would be nice if I could keep tapping these, safe in the knowledge
that I would remain within the world of speed-commands. However, they
can all 'fall off the edge' and start inserting characters. If that
behaviour is critical to org-mode when calling the functions directly,
is it nevertheless worth considering making the behaviour slightly
different for speed commands? I.e. e.g. make 'n' refuse to do anything
if there is no next visible heading. (I suppose that could be done with
new optional args to org-[f/b]-same-level (I don't know about
outline-[n/p]-visible-heading; would that be a suitable situation for
defadvice?))

Secondly, is it worth considering expanding the speed-command zone to
include any position in the leading asterisks (perhaps even in the TODO
keyword, seeing as this is non-default behaviour)?

Dan

> Hi Eric,
>
> yes, I agree that this is very useful on ttys and mobile devices.
> When you use it, please make a note when you notice additional
> commands hat would be useful in this way - the keymap is far from full.

> - Carsten

* Re: Speed commands
@ 2009-11-13 20:09         ` Stephan Schmitt
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Stephan Schmitt @ 2009-11-13 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

sorry, I wasn't clear.
I wanted to point out that in the org-speed-commands-default constant the letter
'a' is assigned twice:
     ("a" . org-agenda)
     ("a" . org-archive-subtree-default-with-confirmation)

sure, I can change this for myself, but I thought it would make sense to avoid
such a clash in the default map.

Best,
	Stephan

Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Nov 13, 2009, at 8:16 PM, Stephan Schmitt wrote:
>>> When you use it, please make a note when you notice additional
>>> commands hat would be useful in this way - the keymap is far from full.
>>> - Carsten
>>
>> ... so there are keys left to spend unique keys for the 'agenda' and
>> 'archive' commands ;-)
>
> In the speed map, yes, there is space, and you can add keys yourself.
> But I would recommend making these with confirmation query.
>
> (setq org-speed-commands-user
>       '(("A" . (let ((org-archive-default-command
>               'org-archive-to-archive-sibling))
>          (org-archive-subtree-default-with-confirmation)))))
>

> I am happy to have a discussion what additional
> commands should be present by default.
>
> - Carsten

* Re: Speed commands
@ 2009-11-13 20:30           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-13 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wow, indeed :-)

- Carsten

On Nov 13, 2009, at 9:09 PM, Stephan Schmitt wrote:

> sorry, I wasn't clear.
> I wanted to point out that in the org-speed-commands-default
> constant the letter 'a' is assigned twice:
>    ("a" . org-agenda)
>    ("a" . org-archive-subtree-default-with-confirmation)
>
> sure, I can change this for myself, but I thought it would make
> sense to avoid such a clash in the default map.
>
> Best,
> 	Stephan
>
> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>>
>>> ... so there are keys left to spend unique keys for the 'agenda' and
>>> 'archive' commands ;-)
>> In the speed map, yes, there is space, and you can add keys yourself.
>> But I would recommend making these with confirmation query.
>> (setq org-speed-commands-user
>>      '(("A" . (let ((org-archive-default-command
>>              'org-archive-to-archive-sibling))
>>         (org-archive-subtree-default-with-confirmation)))))
>> I am happy to have a discussion what additional
>> commands should be present by default.
>> - Carsten

- Carsten

* Re: Release 6.33
@ 2009-11-13 21:30       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-13 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Nov 13, 2009, at 8:41 PM, Dan Davison wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> writes:
>
>> On Nov 13, 2009, at 6:48 PM, Eric S Fraga wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Excellent addition!  This makes org-mode even /more/ usable on
>>> systems
>>> with very small keyboards (like smartphones etc).  I'd been using
>>> viper-mode to have single key movement in org-mode buffers but
>>> you've
>>> not only made this possible but have completely exceeded my
>>> requirements through all the extra commands available (clocking in,
>>> etc.).  Fantastic!
>

> Me too, this looks great. I think it's going to have me learning
> lots of
> org commands that I hadn't got round to learning before. My first
> questions:
>
> n   outline-next-visible-heading
> p   outline-previous-visible-heading
> f   org-forward-same-level
> b   org-backward-same-level
>
> It would be nice if I could keep tapping these, safe in the knowledge
> that I would remain within the world of speed-commands.

Hi Dan, this is an important point, and it now works like this.

> However, they
> can all 'fall off the edge' and start inserting characters. If that
> behaviour is critical to org-mode when calling the functions directly,
> is it nevertheless worth considering making the behaviour slightly
> different for speed commands? I.e. e.g. make 'n' refuse to do anything
> if there is no next visible heading. (I suppose that could be done
> with
> new optional args to org-[f/b]-same-level (I don't know about
> outline-[n/p]-visible-heading; would that be a suitable situation for
> defadvice?))
>
> Secondly, is it worth considering expanding the speed-command zone to
> include any position in the leading asterisks (perhaps even in the
> TODO
> keyword, seeing as this is non-default behaviour)?

Well, I am not comfortable with this, so I don't want to put
this in as a standard option.  But you can now set `org-use-speed-
commands'
to a predicate function that tests for appropriate location.  Let us
know
if you have a good one, maybe I will put it in anyway.

- Carsten

* Re: Release 6.33
@ 2009-11-13 23:03 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-11-13 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> writes:
> Level indentation cycling new empty entries and plain list items

> Speed commands at the start of a headline

Wow - they're so speedy that I fear to miss something!
I guess this is intended for young people ;)

> Drawers are now exported properly
> ==================================
>
> Drawers are now exported when the configuration requires it,
> i.e. if the variable `org-export-with-drawers' is t or a list
> containing the drawers to export.

I still cannot get the test file to work, that Uwe posted here lately:

=> --->8----------------------------->8----------------------------->8---
#+DRAWERS:   ADRESSE
#+LANGUAGE:  de

* Musterfrau, Gerda
 :ADRESSE:
 :Stadt:    Frankfurt am Main
 :Telephon:   069--7511--2660 (direkt)
 :Telephon:   069--7511--1666 (Sekretärin)
 :E-Post:     mailto:g.musterfrau@web.de
 :END:

<= ---8<-----------------------------8<-----------------------------8<---

Shouldn't `#+OPTIONS: d:t' trigger the export of the :ADRESSE: drawer?

> Refile an entry to the current clock
> =====================================

_Very_ useful!!!

As always: this release is a bouquet of nice new features!
Who's birthday was it?

  Sebastian

* Re: Speed commands
@ 2009-11-14  5:03         ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2009-11-14  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> writes:

<...>
> I am happy to have a discussion what additional
> commands should be present by default.

I thought a speed command for scrolling through an org document might be
good -- move from heading to heading, displaying the next entry while
keeping all others hidden, and close subtrees as you leave them. Or is
there already an org command that does something like this?

(Try starting with everything closed.)

(defun ded/org-show-next-heading-tidily ()
  "Show next entry, keeping other entries closed."
  (if (save-excursion (end-of-line) (outline-invisible-p))
      (org-cycle)
    (let ((level (org-current-level)))
      (unless (org-heading-has-child-p) (org-cycle))
      (outline-next-heading)
      (if (< (org-current-level) level)
          (save-excursion
            (outline-backward-same-level 1)
            (org-cycle)))
      (if (and (bolp) (org-on-heading-p))
          (org-cycle)
        (outline-up-heading 1 t)
        (org-cycle)
        (error "Boundary reached")))))

(setq org-use-speed-commands t)
(add-to-list 'org-speed-commands-user
             '("s" ded/org-show-next-heading-tidily))

(<space> might be quite natural for this one, it seems to get used for
scrolling e.g. in dired and gnus)

Dan

> - Carsten

* Re: Speed commands
@ 2009-11-14  7:51           ` Benjamin Andresen
From: Benjamin Andresen @ 2009-11-14  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey Dan,

Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

>       (unless (org-heading-has-child-p) (org-cycle))

There is no function by the name of org-heading-has-child-p in the
current org-mode tree. I'd like to try the above code.

> Dan

br,
benny

* Re: Re: Speed commands
@ 2009-11-14 15:48             ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2009-11-14 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Benjamin Andresen <benny@in-ulm.de> writes:

> Hey Dan,
>
> Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
>
>>       (unless (org-heading-has-child-p) (org-cycle))
>
> There is no function by the name of org-heading-has-child-p in the
> current org-mode tree. I'd like to try the above code.

Thanks Benny.

Here's a new version. There could also be a reverse direction version if
people think this might be useful.

(defun ded/org-show-next-heading-tidily ()
  "Show next entry, keeping all other entries closed."
  (if (save-excursion (end-of-line) (outline-invisible-p))
      (org-cycle)
    (let ((pos (point))
          (level (org-current-level))
          (next-level
           (progn (outline-next-heading) (org-current-level))))
      (cond ((< next-level level)
             (save-excursion
               (outline-backward-same-level 1) (org-cycle)))
            ((= next-level level)
             (save-excursion (goto-char pos) (org-cycle))))
      (if (and (bolp) (org-on-heading-p))
          (org-cycle)
        (outline-up-heading 1 t)
        (org-cycle)
        (error "Boundary reached")))))

(setq org-use-speed-commands t)
(add-to-list 'org-speed-commands-user
             '(" " ded/org-show-next-heading-tidily))

Dan

>> Dan
>
> br,
> benny

* Re: Speed commands
@ 2009-11-15  2:44           ` Dan Davison
                               ` (3 more replies)
From: Dan Davison @ 2009-11-15  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> writes:
>
> <...>
>> I am happy to have a discussion what additional
>> commands should be present by default.
>
> I thought a speed command for scrolling through an org document might be
> good -- move from heading to heading, displaying the next entry while
> keeping all others hidden, and close subtrees as you leave them.

Here are simplified versions of the forward- and backward-scroll speed
commands that I'm suggesting.

(defun ded/org-show-next-heading-tidily ()
  "Show next entry, keeping other entries closed."
  (if (save-excursion (end-of-line) (outline-invisible-p))
      (progn (org-show-entry) (show-children))
    (outline-next-heading)
    (unless (and (bolp) (org-on-heading-p))
      (org-up-heading-safe)
      (hide-subtree)
      (error "Boundary reached"))
    (org-overview)
    (org-reveal t)
    (org-show-entry)
    (show-children)))

(defun ded/org-show-previous-heading-tidily ()
  "Show previous entry, keeping other entries closed."
  (let ((pos (point)))
    (outline-previous-heading)
    (unless (and (< (point) pos) (bolp) (org-on-heading-p))
      (goto-char pos)
      (hide-subtree)
      (error "Boundary reached"))
    (org-overview)
    (org-reveal t)
    (org-show-entry)
    (show-children)))

(setq org-use-speed-commands t)
(add-to-list 'org-speed-commands-user
             '("n" ded/org-show-next-heading-tidily))
(add-to-list 'org-speed-commands-user
             '("p" ded/org-show-previous-heading-tidily))

Dan

> Or is
> there already an org command that does something like this?

> (Try starting with everything closed.)

> (defun ded/org-show-next-heading-tidily ()
>   "Show next entry, keeping other entries closed."
>   (if (save-excursion (end-of-line) (outline-invisible-p))
>       (org-cycle)
>     (let ((level (org-current-level)))
>       (unless (org-heading-has-child-p) (org-cycle))
>       (outline-next-heading)
>       (if (< (org-current-level) level)
>           (save-excursion
>             (outline-backward-same-level 1)
>             (org-cycle)))
>       (if (and (bolp) (org-on-heading-p))
>           (org-cycle)
>         (outline-up-heading 1 t)
>         (org-cycle)
>         (error "Boundary reached")))))
>
> (setq org-use-speed-commands t)
> (add-to-list 'org-speed-commands-user
>              '("s" ded/org-show-next-heading-tidily))
>
> (<space> might be quite natural for this one, it seems to get used for
> scrolling e.g. in dired and gnus)
>
> Dan
>

>> - Carsten

* Re: Release 6.33
@ 2009-11-15  7:19   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-15  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Nov 14, 2009, at 12:03 AM, Sebastian Rose wrote:
>> Drawers are now exported properly
>> ==================================
>>
>> Drawers are now exported when the configuration requires it,
>> i.e. if the variable `org-export-with-drawers' is t or a list
>> containing the drawers to export.
>

> I still cannot get the test file to work, that Uwe posted here lately:

This is strange, that *did* work before I pushed the release.
Anyway, not it no longer does ....

OK, fixed again, hope it works now.

- Carsten

> => --->8----------------------------->8-----------------------------
> >8---
> #+DRAWERS:   ADRESSE
> #+LANGUAGE:  de
>

> * Musterfrau, Gerda
> :ADRESSE:
> :Stadt:    Frankfurt am Main
> :Telephon:   069--7511--2660 (direkt)
> :Telephon:   069--7511--1666 (Sekretärin)
> :E-Post:     mailto:g.musterfrau@web.de
> :END:
>
> <=
> ---8<-----------------------------8<-----------------------------8<---
>
> Shouldn't `#+OPTIONS: d:t' trigger the export of the :ADRESSE: drawer?
>

>> Refile an entry to the current clock
>> =====================================
>
> _Very_ useful!!!
>

> As always: this release is a bouquet of nice new features!
> Who's birthday was it?
>

>  Sebastian

- Carsten

* Re: Release 6.33
@ 2009-11-15 10:02     ` Uwe Jochum
From: Uwe Jochum @ 2009-11-15 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik wrote:
>> I still cannot get the test file to work, that Uwe posted here lately:
>
> This is strange, that *did* work before I pushed the release.
> Anyway, not it no longer does ....
>
> OK, fixed again, hope it works now.
>
> - Carsten

Carsten,

thanks again for the latest org!

Here's what I get when I'm exporting a contacts-file with drawers, using
orgmode 6.33c:

1. Exporting to html works perfectly!

2. Exporting to pdf has a little flaw: When there is an anniversary-line
just before the drawer this line is omitted during pdf export.

Here's my test file:

*****begin of file**************************
#+DRAWERS:   ADRESSE
#+LANGUAGE:  de

* Musterfrau, Gerda

Irgendein Text.

%%(diary-anniversary 11 14 2009) Geburtstag: Gerda %d Jahre alt

:ADRESSE:
:Stadt:    Frankfurt am Main
:Telephon:   069--7511--2660 (direkt)
:Telephon:   069--7511--1666 (Sekretärin)
:E-Post:     mailto:g.musterfrau@web.de
:END:

*****End of file ******************************

I'm pondering whether the omitted anniversary-line in the pdf-export is
something desirable: the "%%" are looking ugly, and the information can be
stored in the drawer itself. But the price for this is to double the
information: the diary-entry-like sexps is necessary to show the information
in the agenda view, and the doubled anniversary information in a drawer is
necessary to have a nice looking output.

Herzliche Grüße,

Uwe

* Re: Speed commands
@ 2009-11-15 10:54             ` Benjamin Andresen
                               ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Benjamin Andresen @ 2009-11-15 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey Dan,

Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> Here are simplified versions of the forward- and backward-scroll speed
> commands that I'm suggesting.

I love it!

> Dan

br,
benny

* Re: Release 6.33
@ 2009-11-15 11:37     ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-11-15 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> writes:
> On Nov 14, 2009, at 12:03 AM, Sebastian Rose wrote:
>>> Drawers are now exported properly
>>> ==================================
>>>
>>> Drawers are now exported when the configuration requires it,
>>> i.e. if the variable `org-export-with-drawers' is t or a list
>>> containing the drawers to export.
>>

>> I still cannot get the test file to work, that Uwe posted here lately:
>
> This is strange, that *did* work before I pushed the release.
> Anyway, not it no longer does ....
>
> OK, fixed again, hope it works now.

Yeah! It does!

Thanks

   Sebastian

* Re: Speed commands
@ 2009-11-15 13:27             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-15 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Dan, these are nice, but somehow I find the "n" command logical and
the "p" command confusing :-)

- Carsten

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Release 6.33
@ 2009-11-15 13:27       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-15 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Jochum; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Uwe,

it i OK to just put the diary-anniversary line into the drawer.

Alternative:

#+DRAWERS:   ADRESSE
#+LANGUAGE:  de
#+CATEGORY: Geburtstag

* Musterfrau, Gerda

Irgendein Text.

:ADRESSE:
:Stadt:      Frankfurt am Main <2009-11-15 Sun +1y>
:Telephon:   069--7511--2660 (direkt)
:Telephon:   069--7511--1666 (Sekretärin)
:E-Post:     mailto:g.musterfrau@web.de
:Geburtstag: <1997-11-15 Sat +1y>
:END:

HTH

- Carsten

On Nov 15, 2009, at 11:02 AM, Uwe Jochum wrote:

> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>> I still cannot get the test file to work, that Uwe posted here
>>> lately:
>>
>> This is strange, that *did* work before I pushed the release.
>> Anyway, not it no longer does ....
>>
>> OK, fixed again, hope it works now.
>>
>> - Carsten
>
> Carsten,
>
> thanks again for the latest org!
>
> Here's what I get when I'm exporting a contacts-file with drawers,
> using
> orgmode 6.33c:
>
> 1. Exporting to html works perfectly!
>
> 2. Exporting to pdf has a little flaw: When there is an anniversary-
> line
> just before the drawer this line is omitted during pdf export.
>
> Here's my test file:
>
> *****begin of file**************************
> #+DRAWERS:   ADRESSE
> #+LANGUAGE:  de
>

> * Musterfrau, Gerda
>
> Irgendein Text.
>
> %%(diary-anniversary 11 14 2009) Geburtstag: Gerda %d Jahre alt
>
> :ADRESSE:
> :Stadt:    Frankfurt am Main
> :Telephon:   069--7511--2660 (direkt)
> :Telephon:   069--7511--1666 (Sekretärin)
> :E-Post:     mailto:g.musterfrau@web.de
> :END:
>
> *****End of file ******************************
>
> I'm pondering whether the omitted anniversary-line in the pdf-export
> is
> something desirable: the "%%" are looking ugly, and the information
> can be
> stored in the drawer itself. But the price for this is to double the
> information: the diary-entry-like sexps is necessary to show the
> information
> in the agenda view, and the doubled anniversary information in a
> drawer is
> necessary to have a nice looking output.
>
> Herzliche Grüße,
>
> Uwe

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Release 6.33
@ 2009-11-15 14:07         ` Uwe Jochum
From: Uwe Jochum @ 2009-11-15 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Alternative:
> :ADRESSE:
> :Stadt:      Frankfurt am Main <2009-11-15 Sun +1y>
> :Telephon:   069--7511--2660 (direkt)
> :Telephon:   069--7511--1666 (Sekretärin)
> :E-Post:     mailto:g.musterfrau@web.de
> :Geburtstag: <1997-11-15 Sat +1y>
> :END:

Carsten,

wow! I hadn't tried this before, but that is wunderbar again! Thanks a lot
for the hint! With this there is really no need for maintaining contact
files in another system apart from orgmode!

Herzlichen Gruß,

Uwe

* Re: Speed commands
@ 2009-11-17 13:20             ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2009-11-17 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> Here are simplified versions of the forward- and backward-scroll speed
> commands that I'm suggesting.

That is really, really cool!  Thank you so much.  I've wanted something
like that for a long time!

Dave

* Re: Speed commands
                               ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-11-17 14:44             ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2009-11-17 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
>

> Here are simplified versions of the forward- and backward-scroll speed
> commands that I'm suggesting.

Ow, 1 major problem (to me).   They wipe out my white space.

I have my entries in an .org file set up like (I like white space):

* DONE Timeouts on JDBC connection...

* TODO Update Test Agents...

* TODO Update UAT Agents...

* TODO W911170058 - Prod Tomcat not being 'managed'...

but after I run your speed scripts, they look like:

* DONE Timeouts on JDBC connection...
* TODO Update Test Agents...
* TODO Update UAT Agents...
* TODO W911170058 - Prod Tomcat not being 'managed'...

Any ideas what to change to preserve my empty white line.  I could
probably learn to live without it, but I'd rather not...

Dave

* Re: Re: Speed commands
@ 2009-11-17 19:23               ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2009-11-17 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. David Boyd; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:

> Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
>>

>> Here are simplified versions of the forward- and backward-scroll speed
>> commands that I'm suggesting.
>>

> Ow, 1 major problem (to me).   They wipe out my white space.
>
> I have my entries in an .org file set up like (I like white space):
>
> * DONE Timeouts on JDBC connection...
>
> * TODO Update Test Agents...
>
> * TODO Update UAT Agents...
>
> * TODO W911170058 - Prod Tomcat not being 'managed'...
>

> but after I run your speed scripts, they look like:
>
> * DONE Timeouts on JDBC connection...
> * TODO Update Test Agents...
> * TODO Update UAT Agents...
> * TODO W911170058 - Prod Tomcat not being 'managed'...
>

> Any ideas what to change to preserve my empty white line.  I could

Hi David,

I don't have an immediate solution. To make it appear as above, I'm
assuming you have two blank lines after the end of each entry, right?

Your whitespace is still there, it's just that the visibility of the
blank lines has changed, as a result of calling org-overview. I didn't
realise that the effects on whitespace visibility differed between
org-overview and the "OVERVIEW" state of org-cycle. Does anyone know of
a suitable way to programmatically achieve identical effects to the
cycling induced by org-cycle?

Or, to ask a slightly different question, is there any convenient way to
use org-cycle in a lisp program and tell it to cycle to a particular
state?

In any case, my use of org-overview is probably not really appropriate,
since it alters visibility in all the subtrees, whereas the scroll
functions should probably only alter visibility in the subtrees in which
they are operating. So if that were fixed hopefully the whitespace
problem would disappear. I'll look into it.

Dan

> probably learn to live without it, but I'd rather not...
>
> Dave

* Re: Re: Speed commands
@ 2009-11-17 19:43                 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-17 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, J. David Boyd

Hi Dan,

you need to call `org-cycle-show-empty-lines' with appropriate
arguments, just like org-cycle does it.

- Carsten

- Carsten

* Re: Speed commands
@ 2009-11-18 15:09         ` Jason Dunsmore
From: Jason Dunsmore @ 2009-11-18 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> writes:

> On Nov 13, 2009, at 8:16 PM, Stephan Schmitt wrote:
>
>> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> ... so there are keys left to spend unique keys for the 'agenda' and
>> 'archive' commands ;-)
>
> In the speed map, yes, there is space, and you can add keys yourself.
> But I would recommend making these with confirmation query.
>
> (setq org-speed-commands-user
>       '(("A" . (let ((org-archive-default-command
> 		      'org-archive-to-archive-sibling))
> 		 (org-archive-subtree-default-with-confirmation)))))

I have to (require 'org-archive) for the
org-archive-subtree-default-with-confirmation function to be available.
This seems like core functionality of org-mode.  Why does it need to be
explicitly loaded?

Thanks,
Jason

* Re: Speed commands
@ 2009-11-18 22:54           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-18 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Nov 18, 2009, at 4:09 PM, Jason Dunsmore wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> writes:

>>> ... so there are keys left to spend unique keys for the 'agenda' and
>>> 'archive' commands ;-)
>>
>> In the speed map, yes, there is space, and you can add keys yourself.
>> But I would recommend making these with confirmation query.
>>
>> (setq org-speed-commands-user
>>      '(("A" . (let ((org-archive-default-command
>> 		      'org-archive-to-archive-sibling))
>> 		 (org-archive-subtree-default-with-confirmation)))))
>
> I have to (require 'org-archive) for the
> org-archive-subtree-default-with-confirmation function to be
> available.
> This seems like core functionality of org-mode.  Why does it need to
> be
> explicitly loaded?

Should be auoloaded, this is a bug.  Fixed now, please don' forget to
(after pulling) re-make org-install.el by running "make" or at
least "make autoloads".

@ 2009-11-20 14:35         ` Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs
From: Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs @ 2009-11-20 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Trying out speedkeys and liking them, I guess I'm going to have a
simple life using org from my phone from now on ;)

Carsten Dominik schrieb:
> In the speed map, yes, there is space, and you can add keys yourself.
> But I would recommend making these with confirmation query.
> (setq org-speed-commands-user
>       '(("A" . (let ((org-archive-default-command
>             'org-archive-to-archive-sibling))
>        (org-archive-subtree-default-with-confirmation)))))

> I am happy to have a discussion what additional
> commands should be present by default.

This is what i'm using:

(("y" . (progn
          (delete-other-windows)
          (recenter-top-bottom 0)))
 ("A" . (if (y-or-n-p "Archive this subtree or entry? ")
          (call-interactively org-archive-subtree)
          (error "Abort")))
  ("," . org-cycle-agenda-files))

There's no function org-archive-subtree-default-with-confirmation and
org-agenda-archive-subtree-with-confirmation complains that I'm not in
the agenda, so I've just adding my own y-or-n-p, since 'A' will
actually move trees to an archive file.

On my phone I get frequently annoyed when I can't see enough because
emacs splits the screen all the time, so a speed key to unsplit and
move the current item to the top of the screen is logical.

I'm not completely happy with 'y', since it makes me think 'yank' but
it's also slightly similar to 'l' and C-l is the default binding.

How about having an alternative keymap with vi-like moving keys? I
hardly ever use the C-b, C-f, C-n, C-p in my regular emacs work
(mostly cursor keys) and so I'm actually more comfortable with using
vi movement. (Because of playing nethack of course, hm, that's a nice
and large fireplace you have there! What's for dinner?)

Oh and the ',' is most obvious, I think.

(Hey, what's with the torches? Oh right, nightime barbecue, haha!)

Kind regards
     Friedel
--
        Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs <friedel@nomaden.org>
                             TauPan on Ircnet and Freenode ;)

* Re: Speed commands (was: Release 6.33)
@ 2009-11-20 14:57           ` Carsten Dominik
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-20 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: friedel; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Friedrich,

On Nov 20, 2009, at 3:35 PM, Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs wrote:

> Trying out speedkeys and liking them, I guess I'm going to have a
> simple life using org from my phone from now on ;)
>
> Carsten Dominik schrieb:
>> In the speed map, yes, there is space, and you can add keys yourself.
>> But I would recommend making these with confirmation query.
>> (setq org-speed-commands-user
>>      '(("A" . (let ((org-archive-default-command
>>            'org-archive-to-archive-sibling))
>>       (org-archive-subtree-default-with-confirmation)))))
>
>> I am happy to have a discussion what additional
>> commands should be present by default.
>
> This is what i'm using:
>
> (("y" . (progn
>          (delete-other-windows)
>          (recenter-top-bottom 0)))
> ("A" . (if (y-or-n-p "Archive this subtree or entry? ")
>          (call-interactively org-archive-subtree)
>          (error "Abort")))
>  ("," . org-cycle-agenda-files))

Thanks for sharing these!

> There's no function org-archive-subtree-default-with-confirmation and
> org-agenda-archive-subtree-with-confirmation complains that I'm not in
> the agenda, so I've just adding my own y-or-n-p, since 'A' will
> actually move trees to an archive file.

The function is there, but the autoloads need to be up to date.

    make autoloads

should do the trick, certainly in the latest git release.

> On my phone I get frequently annoyed when I can't see enough because
> emacs splits the screen all the time, so a speed key to unsplit and
> move the current item to the top of the screen is logical.
>
> I'm not completely happy with 'y', since it makes me think 'yank' but
> it's also slightly similar to 'l' and C-l is the default binding.
>
> How about having an alternative keymap with vi-like moving keys? I
> hardly ever use the C-b, C-f, C-n, C-p in my regular emacs work
> (mostly cursor keys) and so I'm actually more comfortable with using
> vi movement.

I don't understand what you are proposing here.

> (Because of playing nethack of course, hm, that's a nice
> and large fireplace you have there! What's for dinner?)
>
> Oh and the ',' is most obvious, I think.

This is nice, but I guess you want to stay in fast-key space.
So

    ("," . (progn (org-cycle-agenda-files)
                  (or (and (bolp) (org-on-heading-p))
                      (outline-next-visible-heading 1))))

@ 2009-11-20 16:29             ` Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs
From: Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs @ 2009-11-20 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik schrieb:
> >(("y" . (progn
> >         (delete-other-windows)
> >         (recenter-top-bottom 0)))
> >("A" . (if (y-or-n-p "Archive this subtree or entry? ")
> >         (call-interactively org-archive-subtree)
> >         (error "Abort")))
> > ("," . org-cycle-agenda-files))

There's a quote missing before org-archive-subtree here, btw.

> The function is there, but the autoloads need to be up to date.
>    make autoloads
> should do the trick, certainly in the latest git release.

Oops, I usually just do 'make' after git pull. Is autoloads not
implied in the default target?

> >How about having an alternative keymap with vi-like moving keys? I
> >hardly ever use the C-b, C-f, C-n, C-p in my regular emacs work
> >(mostly cursor keys) and so I'm actually more comfortable with using
> >vi movement.
>
> I don't understand what you are proposing here.

k for up, j for down, h for left and l for right. So I guess k would
be previous-heading, j next heading, and h and l for the previous/next
sibling on the same level.

So I guess I have:

j   (org-speed-move-safe (quote outline-next-visible-heading))
k   (org-speed-move-safe (quote outline-previous-visible-heading))
l   (org-speed-move-safe (quote org-forward-same-level))
h   (org-speed-move-safe (quote org-backward-same-level))

In the vi-movement map. And somebody who is more proficient with vi
than I am probably can come up with some natural additions.

This is just a thought, I wanted to see if anyone would bite ;)

> This is nice, but I guess you want to stay in fast-key space.
> So
>
>    ("," . (progn (org-cycle-agenda-files)
>                  (or (and (bolp) (org-on-heading-p))
>                      (outline-next-visible-heading 1))))
---Zitatende---

Ah, much better! Thanks! ;)

--

@ 2009-11-20 17:09             ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2009-11-20 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

At Fri, 20 Nov 2009 15:57:09 +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2009, at 3:35 PM, Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs wrote:
> > How about having an alternative keymap with vi-like moving keys? I
> > hardly ever use the C-b, C-f, C-n, C-p in my regular emacs work
> > (mostly cursor keys) and so I'm actually more comfortable with using
> > vi movement.
>
> I don't understand what you are proposing here.

vi uses the home row keys (hjkl) for movement (left, down, up, right)
and it's something those of us weaned on vi (30 years ago in my case)
have a natural affinity for.  I think Friedrich is proposing having
'j' instead of 'f' or 'n', 'k' instead of 'b' or 'p' for speed keys
for motion (but am not sure whether 'h' and 'l' should be mapped to
anything in particular).  In fact, using viper mode with org-mode
gives you this and works quite well overall but viper mode carries
some unnecessary baggage.

However, I would suggest that he can simply re-bind his speed keys.
It's not really a suggestion for new functionality, I guess, unlike
the other examples he gave (some of which were very appealing).

From: Eric S Fraga @ 2009-11-20 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> This is nice, but I guess you want to stay in fast-key space.
> So
>
>    ("," . (progn (org-cycle-agenda-files)
>                  (or (and (bolp) (org-on-heading-p))
>                      (outline-next-visible-heading 1))))

This is really nice and works like a charm... *except* in a very
extreme case: one of my agenda files is typically empty other than a
single top level heading.  When I cycle through the agenda files, when
I land in this file, I am typically placed at the end of the file
(emacs remembers my last location).  When this happens, speed keys are
no longer active and, before I know it, I have a number of ',' added
to the end of this file!

Actually, I guess this problem generalises so that it would appear
whenever the cycling takes you to a file where the current point is at
the end (or near the end) of the file so there is actually no "next"
heading?  Maybe the or statement above needs another clause (which I
unfortunately cannot suggest; sorry!).

* Re: Speed commands
@ 2009-11-20 18:13               ` Stephan Schmitt
From: Stephan Schmitt @ 2009-11-20 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: e.fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Hi Eric,

try this:

(progn
  (org-cycle-agenda-files)
       (when (not (and (bolp) (org-on-heading-p)))
	 (outline-previous-visible-heading 1)
	 (or (and (bolp) (org-on-heading-p))
	     (outline-next-visible-heading 1))))

Greetings,
	Stephan

Also sprach Eric S Fraga:

@ 2009-11-20 20:35           ` Raffi R
From: Raffi R @ 2009-11-20 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: friedel, emacs-orgmode

Dear Friedrich,

What sort of phone do you use? I am looking for a new phone and would
like to use ogmode, of course.

Thanks,
- Raffi.

@ 2009-11-20 20:36                 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2009-11-20 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephan Schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

At Fri, 20 Nov 2009 19:13:11 +0100,
Stephan Schmitt wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> try this:
>
> (progn
>   (org-cycle-agenda-files)
>        (when (not (and (bolp) (org-on-heading-p)))
> 	 (outline-previous-visible-heading 1)
> 	 (or (and (bolp) (org-on-heading-p))
> 	     (outline-next-visible-heading 1))))

Excellent.  Works perfectly.  (and makes so much sense that it gives
me a doh moment -- why didn't I think of that?  isn't hindsight
wonderful? :-)

Many thanks.

* Re: Speed commands (was: Release 6.33)
@ 2009-11-20 20:55               ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2009-11-20 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

At Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:29:15 +0100, Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs wrote:
> k for up, j for down, h for left and l for right. So I guess k would
> be previous-heading, j next heading, and h and l for the previous/next
> sibling on the same level.
>
> So I guess I have:
>
> j   (org-speed-move-safe (quote outline-next-visible-heading))
> k   (org-speed-move-safe (quote outline-previous-visible-heading))
> l   (org-speed-move-safe (quote org-forward-same-level))
> h   (org-speed-move-safe (quote org-backward-same-level))

I'm actually playing around with this combination:

  ("h" org-speed-move-safe 'outline-up-heading)
  ("j" org-speed-move-safe 'outline-forward-same-level)
  ("k" org-speed-move-safe 'outline-backward-same-level)
  ("l" org-speed-move-safe 'outline-next-visible-heading)

and it's almost quite natural (for me) but quite the opposite of what
you have defined/suggested!  Interesting.

* Re: Speed commands (was: Release 6.33)
@ 2009-11-20 23:25             ` Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs
From: Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs @ 2009-11-20 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

Sorry I have to clarify this a bit:

Raffi R schrieb:
> What sort of phone do you use? I am looking for a new phone and would
> like to use ogmode, of course.

> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs
> <friedel@nomaden.org> wrote:
> > Trying out speedkeys and liking them, I guess I'm going to have a
> > simple life using org from my phone from now on ;)
---Zitatende---

Note that I wrote "from my phone" not "on my phone". I use a T-Mobile
G1 (HTC Dream) which has a very excellent ssh client called connectbot
(http://code.google.com/p/connectbot/ it's free software, too) and I
use org-mode via ssh and emacsclient -t on a remote system.

To say that I use it is saying a bit much, since I've only used it so
far to look things up, since editing used to be very inconvenient,
because having to type typical emacs control sequences is really
tough on the small keyboard.

That's why I think the speedkeys are going to help me quite a lot, but
I didn't really give it a go yet.

Btw. it's great that I posted my speed key setup on this mailing list,
not only for the great input I received: Due to some inexplicable
screwup with my emacs config and git over 3 machines, I lost my
configuration changes.

(I think my dirty hack to split customisation files has destroyed the
speed key config, so it's most likely not emacs' or org-modes's
fault.)

But now I can just easily recreate it from the
posts ;)

Good evening
     Friedel
--
        Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs <friedel@nomaden.org>
                             TauPan on Ircnet and Freenode ;)

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* Re: Speed commands (was: Release 6.33)
@ 2009-11-20 23:38               ` Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs
From: Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs @ 2009-11-20 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Doh!

> Due to some inexplicable screwup with my emacs config and git over 3
> machines, I lost my configuration changes.
---Zitatende---

It's late, I just forgot to git pull my config ;)