* Problem with toggling intermediate state of check boxes
@ 2009-04-03  4:12 ` Cameron Horsburgh
From: Cameron Horsburgh @ 2009-04-03  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi folks,

When I use C-u C-c C-c on a check box it deletes the check box rather
than toggles the [-] state as adevrtised in the manual. I'm using
version 6.25a as checked out of git several hours ago.

I've never tried to use this behaviour before, so I can't say when it
first occurred.

Here's a minimal two lines that exhibit the behaviour:

,----
`----

--

Cameron Horsburgh

Blog: http://spiritcry.wordpress.com/

* Re: Problem with toggling intermediate state of check boxes
@ 2009-04-03  4:37   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-04-03  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cameron Horsburgh; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Cameron Horsburgh <cammo@netcall.com.au> wrote:

> When I use C-u C-c C-c on a check box it deletes the check box rather
> than toggles the [-] state as adevrtised in the manual. I'm using
> version 6.25a as checked out of git several hours ago.
>
> I've never tried to use this behaviour before, so I can't say when it
> first occurred.
>
> Here's a minimal two lines that exhibit the behaviour:
>
> ,----
> | * Headline [0/1]
> |   - [ ] C-u C-c C-c will remove the checkbox
> `----

The manual says (I am behind the curve: I still run 6.24, but I doubt
either the behavior or this portion of the manual changed):

`C-c C-c'
     Toggle checkbox status or (with prefix arg) checkbox presence at
     point.  With double prefix argument, set it to `[-]', which is
     considered to be an intermediate state.

That's consistent with the behavior you observe: C-u C-c C-c toggles
"presence", i.e. whether the checkbox is there or not. To toggle the
checkbox, just use C-c C-c.

HTH,
Nick

* Re: Problem with toggling intermediate state of check boxes
@ 2009-04-03  9:54     ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-04-03  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Nick Dokos wrote:
> Cameron Horsburgh wrote:
>

>> When I use C-u C-c C-c on a check box it deletes the check box rather
>> than toggles the [-] state as adevrtised in the manual. I'm using
>> version 6.25a as checked out of git several hours ago.
>>
>> I've never tried to use this behaviour before, so I can't say when it
>> first occurred.
>>
>> Here's a minimal two lines that exhibit the behaviour:
>>
>> ,----
>> | * Headline [0/1]
>> |  - [ ] C-u C-c C-c will remove the checkbox
>> `----
>
> The manual says (I am behind the curve: I still run 6.24, but I doubt
> either the behavior or this portion of the manual changed):
>
> `C-c C-c'
>   Toggle checkbox status or (with prefix arg) checkbox presence at
>   point. With double prefix argument, set it to `[-]', which is
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   considered to be an intermediate state.

You need to do C-u C-u C-c C-c to get to that intermediate state.

--
Manish

@ 2009-04-03 10:21       ` Cameron Horsburgh
From: Cameron Horsburgh @ 2009-04-03 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 03:24:40PM +0530, Manish wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Nick Dokos wrote:
> > Cameron Horsburgh wrote:
> >

> >> When I use C-u C-c C-c on a check box it deletes the check box rather
> >> than toggles the [-] state as adevrtised in the manual. I'm using
> >> version 6.25a as checked out of git several hours ago.
> >>
> >> I've never tried to use this behaviour before, so I can't say when it
> >> first occurred.
> >>
> >> Here's a minimal two lines that exhibit the behaviour:
> >>
> >> ,----
> >> `----
> >
> > The manual says (I am behind the curve: I still run 6.24, but I doubt
> > either the behavior or this portion of the manual changed):
> >
> > `C-c C-c'
> >   Toggle checkbox status or (with prefix arg) checkbox presence at
> >   point. With double prefix argument, set it to `[-]', which is
>                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >   considered to be an intermediate state.
>
> You need to do C-u C-u C-c C-c to get to that intermediate state.

Ah, that's a little bizarre. For some reason my info file was 6.21,
which refers to the single prefix usage. I went to the top level node
than went back into the org-mode info and it was 6.25.

I say this is bizarre because I update org-mode (and docs) most days
and the info has been opened and closed many times since 6.21. The
instructions match what you say.

Cue the theme from 'The Twilight Zone'...

Thanks for your help.

--

@ 2009-04-03 10:36         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-03 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cameron Horsburgh; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 3, 2009, at 12:21 PM, Cameron Horsburgh wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 03:24:40PM +0530, Manish wrote:

>>> The manual says (I am behind the curve: I still run 6.24, but I
>>> doubt
>>> either the behavior or this portion of the manual changed):
>>>
>>> `C-c C-c'
>>>  Toggle checkbox status or (with prefix arg) checkbox presence at
>>>  point. With double prefix argument, set it to `[-]', which is
>>                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>  considered to be an intermediate state.
>>
>> You need to do C-u C-u C-c C-c to get to that intermediate state.
>

> Ah, that's a little bizarre. For some reason my info file was 6.21,
> which refers to the single prefix usage. I went to the top level node
> than went back into the org-mode info and it was 6.25.

See this discusion:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/11412

- Carsten

@ 2009-04-03 10:53           ` Cameron Horsburgh
From: Cameron Horsburgh @ 2009-04-03 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 12:36:40PM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:

>> Ah, that's a little bizarre. For some reason my info file was 6.21,
>> which refers to the single prefix usage. I went to the top level node
>> than went back into the org-mode info and it was 6.25.
>
> See this discusion:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/11412
>
> - Carsten

Nope, no argument from me. On the balance of things I think the new
behaviour makes most sense. I'm more puzzled as to why the info file
changed from 6.21 to 6.25 when I went looking for the version number.

If I find any dead cats in the box I'll be sure to let you know.