emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* Problem with toggling intermediate state of check boxes
@ 2009-04-03  4:12 ` Cameron Horsburgh
  2009-04-03  4:37   ` Nick Dokos
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Cameron Horsburgh @ 2009-04-03  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi folks,

When I use C-u C-c C-c on a check box it deletes the check box rather
than toggles the [-] state as adevrtised in the manual. I'm using
version 6.25a as checked out of git several hours ago.

I've never tried to use this behaviour before, so I can't say when it
first occurred.

Here's a minimal two lines that exhibit the behaviour:

,----
| * Headline [0/1]
|   - [ ] C-u C-c C-c will remove the checkbox
`----




-- 

Cameron Horsburgh

Blog: http://spiritcry.wordpress.com/

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Problem with toggling intermediate state of check boxes
  2009-04-03  4:12 ` Problem with toggling intermediate state of check boxes Cameron Horsburgh
@ 2009-04-03  4:37   ` Nick Dokos
  2009-04-03  9:54     ` Manish
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-04-03  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cameron Horsburgh; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Cameron Horsburgh <cammo@netcall.com.au> wrote:


> When I use C-u C-c C-c on a check box it deletes the check box rather
> than toggles the [-] state as adevrtised in the manual. I'm using
> version 6.25a as checked out of git several hours ago.
> 
> I've never tried to use this behaviour before, so I can't say when it
> first occurred.
> 
> Here's a minimal two lines that exhibit the behaviour:
> 
> ,----
> | * Headline [0/1]
> |   - [ ] C-u C-c C-c will remove the checkbox
> `----

The manual says (I am behind the curve: I still run 6.24, but I doubt
either the behavior or this portion of the manual changed):

`C-c C-c'
     Toggle checkbox status or (with prefix arg) checkbox presence at
     point.  With double prefix argument, set it to `[-]', which is
     considered to be an intermediate state.  

That's consistent with the behavior you observe: C-u C-c C-c toggles
"presence", i.e. whether the checkbox is there or not. To toggle the
checkbox, just use C-c C-c.

HTH,
Nick

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Problem with toggling intermediate state of check boxes
  2009-04-03  4:37   ` Nick Dokos
@ 2009-04-03  9:54     ` Manish
  2009-04-03 10:21       ` Cameron Horsburgh
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Manish @ 2009-04-03  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Nick Dokos wrote:
> Cameron Horsburgh wrote:
>
>
>> When I use C-u C-c C-c on a check box it deletes the check box rather
>> than toggles the [-] state as adevrtised in the manual. I'm using
>> version 6.25a as checked out of git several hours ago.
>>
>> I've never tried to use this behaviour before, so I can't say when it
>> first occurred.
>>
>> Here's a minimal two lines that exhibit the behaviour:
>>
>> ,----
>> | * Headline [0/1]
>> |  - [ ] C-u C-c C-c will remove the checkbox
>> `----
>
> The manual says (I am behind the curve: I still run 6.24, but I doubt
> either the behavior or this portion of the manual changed):
>
> `C-c C-c'
>   Toggle checkbox status or (with prefix arg) checkbox presence at
>   point. With double prefix argument, set it to `[-]', which is
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   considered to be an intermediate state.

You need to do C-u C-u C-c C-c to get to that intermediate state.

-- 
Manish

> That's consistent with the behavior you observe: C-u C-c C-c toggles
> "presence", i.e. whether the checkbox is there or not. To toggle the
> checkbox, just use C-c C-c.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Problem with toggling intermediate state of check boxes
  2009-04-03  9:54     ` Manish
@ 2009-04-03 10:21       ` Cameron Horsburgh
  2009-04-03 10:36         ` Carsten Dominik
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Cameron Horsburgh @ 2009-04-03 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 03:24:40PM +0530, Manish wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Nick Dokos wrote:
> > Cameron Horsburgh wrote:
> >
> >
> >> When I use C-u C-c C-c on a check box it deletes the check box rather
> >> than toggles the [-] state as adevrtised in the manual. I'm using
> >> version 6.25a as checked out of git several hours ago.
> >>
> >> I've never tried to use this behaviour before, so I can't say when it
> >> first occurred.
> >>
> >> Here's a minimal two lines that exhibit the behaviour:
> >>
> >> ,----
> >> | * Headline [0/1]
> >> |  - [ ] C-u C-c C-c will remove the checkbox
> >> `----
> >
> > The manual says (I am behind the curve: I still run 6.24, but I doubt
> > either the behavior or this portion of the manual changed):
> >
> > `C-c C-c'
> >   Toggle checkbox status or (with prefix arg) checkbox presence at
> >   point. With double prefix argument, set it to `[-]', which is
>                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >   considered to be an intermediate state.
> 
> You need to do C-u C-u C-c C-c to get to that intermediate state.


Ah, that's a little bizarre. For some reason my info file was 6.21,
which refers to the single prefix usage. I went to the top level node
than went back into the org-mode info and it was 6.25.

I say this is bizarre because I update org-mode (and docs) most days
and the info has been opened and closed many times since 6.21. The
instructions match what you say.

Cue the theme from 'The Twilight Zone'...

Thanks for your help.

-- 

Cameron Horsburgh

Blog: http://spiritcry.wordpress.com/

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Problem with toggling intermediate state of check boxes
  2009-04-03 10:21       ` Cameron Horsburgh
@ 2009-04-03 10:36         ` Carsten Dominik
  2009-04-03 10:53           ` Cameron Horsburgh
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-03 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cameron Horsburgh; +Cc: emacs-orgmode


On Apr 3, 2009, at 12:21 PM, Cameron Horsburgh wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 03:24:40PM +0530, Manish wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Nick Dokos wrote:
>>> Cameron Horsburgh wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>> When I use C-u C-c C-c on a check box it deletes the check box  
>>>> rather
>>>> than toggles the [-] state as adevrtised in the manual. I'm using
>>>> version 6.25a as checked out of git several hours ago.
>>>>
>>>> I've never tried to use this behaviour before, so I can't say  
>>>> when it
>>>> first occurred.
>>>>
>>>> Here's a minimal two lines that exhibit the behaviour:
>>>>
>>>> ,----
>>>> | * Headline [0/1]
>>>> |  - [ ] C-u C-c C-c will remove the checkbox
>>>> `----
>>>
>>> The manual says (I am behind the curve: I still run 6.24, but I  
>>> doubt
>>> either the behavior or this portion of the manual changed):
>>>
>>> `C-c C-c'
>>>  Toggle checkbox status or (with prefix arg) checkbox presence at
>>>  point. With double prefix argument, set it to `[-]', which is
>>                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>  considered to be an intermediate state.
>>
>> You need to do C-u C-u C-c C-c to get to that intermediate state.
>
>
> Ah, that's a little bizarre. For some reason my info file was 6.21,
> which refers to the single prefix usage. I went to the top level node
> than went back into the org-mode info and it was 6.25.

See this discusion:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/11412

- Carsten

>
> I say this is bizarre because I update org-mode (and docs) most days
> and the info has been opened and closed many times since 6.21. The
> instructions match what you say.
>
> Cue the theme from 'The Twilight Zone'...
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> -- 
>
> Cameron Horsburgh
>
> Blog: http://spiritcry.wordpress.com/
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Emacs-orgmode mailing list
> Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list.
> Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
> http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Problem with toggling intermediate state of check boxes
  2009-04-03 10:36         ` Carsten Dominik
@ 2009-04-03 10:53           ` Cameron Horsburgh
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Cameron Horsburgh @ 2009-04-03 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 12:36:40PM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>
>> Ah, that's a little bizarre. For some reason my info file was 6.21,
>> which refers to the single prefix usage. I went to the top level node
>> than went back into the org-mode info and it was 6.25.
>
> See this discusion:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/11412
>
> - Carsten
>

Nope, no argument from me. On the balance of things I think the new
behaviour makes most sense. I'm more puzzled as to why the info file
changed from 6.21 to 6.25 when I went looking for the version number. 

If I find any dead cats in the box I'll be sure to let you know.


-- 

Cameron Horsburgh

Blog: http://spiritcry.wordpress.com/

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2009-04-03 10:54 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 6+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
     [not found] <cammo@netcall.com.au>
2009-04-03  4:12 ` Problem with toggling intermediate state of check boxes Cameron Horsburgh
2009-04-03  4:37   ` Nick Dokos
2009-04-03  9:54     ` Manish
2009-04-03 10:21       ` Cameron Horsburgh
2009-04-03 10:36         ` Carsten Dominik
2009-04-03 10:53           ` Cameron Horsburgh

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).