* require-final-newline
@ 2007-05-21  2:03 Trent Buck
From: Trent Buck @ 2007-05-21  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: trentbuck

[Please CC replies; I'm not subscribed to this list.]

I have the following in my .emacs:

  | ;;; If the last line is an item and you have a final newline,
  | ;;; collapsing item bodies will result in
  | ;;;
  | ;;;     ** eat marshmallows...
  | ;;;
  | ;;; where the ellipsis is simply eliding the final newline.  This
  | ;;; annoys me.  Rather than fix org mode, I've opted to simply
  | ;;; disable implicit adding of a final newline for this mode.
  | (add-hook 'org-mode-hook
  |   (lambda ()
  |     (set (make-local-variable 'require-final-newline) nil)))

It would be better if org mode did this automatically.  There is
a facility specifically for this:

  | mode-require-final-newline is a variable defined in `files.el'.
  |
  | Documentation:
  | Whether to add a newline at end of file, in certain major modes.
  | Those modes set `require-final-newline' to this value when you enable them.
  | They do so because they are often used for files that are supposed
  | to end in newlines, and the question is how to arrange that.
  |
  | A value of t means do this only when the file is about to be saved.
  | A value of `visit' means do this right after the file is visited.
  | A value of `visit-save' means do it at both of those times.
  | Any other non-nil value means ask user whether to add a newline, when saving.
  |
  | nil means do not add newlines.  That is a risky choice in this variable
  | since this value is used for modes for files that ought to have final newlines.
  | So if you set this to nil, you must explicitly check and add
  | a final newline, whenever you save a file that really needs one.

I posit that org-mode should set this variable to nil.
--
Trent Buck

* Re: require-final-newline
@ 2007-05-22  7:34 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-05-22  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trent Buck; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 21, 2007, at 4:03, Trent Buck wrote:

> [Please CC replies; I'm not subscribed to this list.]
>
> I have the following in my .emacs:
>
>   | ;;; If the last line is an item and you have a final newline,
>   | ;;; collapsing item bodies will result in
>   | ;;;
>   | ;;;     ** eat marshmallows...
>   | ;;;
>   | ;;; where the ellipsis is simply eliding the final newline.  This
>   | ;;; annoys me.

I do not yet see what the problem is.  Why is this annoying you?

- Carsten

> Rather than fix org mode, I've opted to simply
>   | ;;; disable implicit adding of a final newline for this mode.
>   | (add-hook 'org-mode-hook
>   |   (lambda ()
>   |     (set (make-local-variable 'require-final-newline) nil)))
>
> It would be better if org mode did this automatically.  There is
> a facility specifically for this:
>
>   | mode-require-final-newline is a variable defined in `files.el'.
>   | Documentation:
>   | Whether to add a newline at end of file, in certain major modes.
>   | Those modes set `require-final-newline' to this value when you
> enable them.
>   | They do so because they are often used for files that are supposed
>   | to end in newlines, and the question is how to arrange that.
>   | A value of t means do this only when the file is about to be saved.
>   | A value of `visit' means do this right after the file is visited.
>   | A value of `visit-save' means do it at both of those times.
>   | Any other non-nil value means ask user whether to add a newline,
> when saving.
>   | nil means do not add newlines.  That is a risky choice in this
> variable
>   | since this value is used for modes for files that ought to have
> final newlines.
>   | So if you set this to nil, you must explicitly check and add
>   | a final newline, whenever you save a file that really needs one.
>
> I posit that org-mode should set this variable to nil.
> --
> Trent Buck

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: require-final-newline
@ 2007-05-23  9:18   ` Trent Buck
From: Trent Buck @ 2007-05-23  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 09:34:53AM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On May 21, 2007, at 4:03, Trent Buck wrote:
>
> >[Please CC replies; I'm not subscribed to this list.]
> >
> >I have the following in my .emacs:
> >
> >  | ;;; If the last line is an item and you have a final newline,
> >  | ;;; collapsing item bodies will result in
> >  | ;;;
> >  | ;;;     ** eat marshmallows...
> >  | ;;;
> >  | ;;; where the ellipsis is simply eliding the final newline.  This
> >  | ;;; annoys me.
>
> I do not yet see what the problem is.  Why is this annoying you?

It annoys me because the ... indicate that text is being hidden, but
in fact the only hidden data is a single newline.

@ 2007-05-23 14:15 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-05-23 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trent Buck; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

To be honest, I am not sure that this is the right solution.  For some
operations in org-mode, like structure editing, that final newline is
good to have.  Also, this issue with the final newline is depending on
personal preferences.

I tend to believe that the better solution is to fix outlining, so that
it will never hide empty lines at the end of the buffer.  Hope you can
agree if I implement that latter solution.

- Carsten

@ 2007-05-23 15:20   ` Trent Buck
From: Trent Buck @ 2007-05-23 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode