[Please CC replies; I'm not subscribed to this list.] I have the following in my .emacs: | ;;; If the last line is an item and you have a final newline, | ;;; collapsing item bodies will result in | ;;; | ;;; ** eat marshmallows... | ;;; | ;;; where the ellipsis is simply eliding the final newline. This | ;;; annoys me. Rather than fix org mode, I've opted to simply | ;;; disable implicit adding of a final newline for this mode. | (add-hook 'org-mode-hook | (lambda () | (set (make-local-variable 'require-final-newline) nil))) It would be better if org mode did this automatically. There is a facility specifically for this: | mode-require-final-newline is a variable defined in `files.el'. | | Documentation: | Whether to add a newline at end of file, in certain major modes. | Those modes set `require-final-newline' to this value when you enable them. | They do so because they are often used for files that are supposed | to end in newlines, and the question is how to arrange that. | | A value of t means do this only when the file is about to be saved. | A value of `visit' means do this right after the file is visited. | A value of `visit-save' means do it at both of those times. | Any other non-nil value means ask user whether to add a newline, when saving. | | nil means do not add newlines. That is a risky choice in this variable | since this value is used for modes for files that ought to have final newlines. | So if you set this to nil, you must explicitly check and add | a final newline, whenever you save a file that really needs one. I posit that org-mode should set this variable to nil. -- Trent Buck