* orgmode to markdown
@ 2015-05-31  9:36 flow
From: flow @ 2015-05-31  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I would like to ask you about how org-mode exports title and headlines
to markdow

org-mode to markdown doesn't export title as md heading one # and
org-mode heading one as heading one but heading two

I think it should work as org-mode to html:

    org-mode title to md heading one #
    org-mode heading one * to md heading two (##)

What do you think about it?

Best

--
"La tradición de los oprimidos nos enseña que la regla es el «estado de
excepción» en el que vivimos." Walter Benjamin, Tesis de Filosofía de la

* Re: orgmode to markdown
@ 2015-05-31 22:12 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-05-31 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: flow; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

flow <adolflow@sindominio.net> writes:

> I would like to ask you about how org-mode exports title and headlines
> to markdow
>
> org-mode to markdown doesn't export title as md heading one # and
> org-mode heading one as heading one but heading two
>
> I think it should work as org-mode to html:
>
>     org-mode title to md heading one #
>     org-mode heading one * to md heading two (##)
>
> What do you think about it?

"ox-md" supports Setext-type headlines, which are limited to 2 levels.
Using a title as the first level leaves only one level for regular
headlines.

Also, it doesn't solve the problem of author, date and email, which do
not appear either in the output. I think they are part of the same
problem: (vanilla) markdown has no real support for meta-data.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: orgmode to markdown
@ 2015-06-02  9:34   ` flow
From: flow @ 2015-06-02  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Nicolas

El lun, 01-06-2015 a las 00:12 +0200, Nicolas Goaziou escribió:
> Hello,
>
> flow <adolflow@sindominio.net> writes:
>
> > I would like to ask you about how org-mode exports title and headlines
> > to markdow
> >
> > org-mode to markdown doesn't export title as md heading one # and
> > org-mode heading one as heading one but heading two
> >
> > I think it should work as org-mode to html:
> >
> >     org-mode title to md heading one #
> >     org-mode heading one * to md heading two (##)
> >
> > What do you think about it?
>
> "ox-md" supports Setext-type headlines, which are limited to 2 levels.
> Using a title as the first level leaves only one level for regular
> headlines.

I guessed setext support 6 levels so I don't know why ox-md supprot just
2 levels although my exporter seems to support 3 levels. Why? That's a
good question but not what I wanted to know. What I want -and I would
like to know whay ox-md doesn't- is to export org as org-mode to html
does:

- The title becomes h1, so the org title becomes # or ===, I don't mind
- The * becomes h2, so the org * becomes ## or ----
- The ** becomes h3, so the org ** becomes ### (in case it supports 3
leveles)
- etc.

What do you think about it?

> Also, it doesn't solve the problem of author, date and email, which do
> not appear either in the output. I think they are part of the same
> problem: (vanilla) markdown has no real support for meta-data.

I wasn't considering that it is very interesting though. However in the
scenarios I would like to use widely orgmode to markdown it is not
necessary metadata.

> Regards,

Best

--

@ 2015-06-03 22:18     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-06-03 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: flow; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

flow <adolflow@sindominio.net> writes:

> I guessed setext support 6 levels so I don't know why ox-md supprot just
> 2 levels although my exporter seems to support 3 levels. Why?

Setext style supports only 2 levels. Atx supports 6 of them, per
<http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax#header>.

> That's a good question but not what I wanted to know. What I want -and
> I would like to know whay ox-md doesn't- is to export org as org-mode
> to html does:
>
> - The title becomes h1, so the org title becomes # or ===, I don't mind
> - The * becomes h2, so the org * becomes ## or ----
> - The ** becomes h3, so the org ** becomes ### (in case it supports 3
> leveles)
> - etc.
>
> What do you think about it?

I think it is very opinionated and may be undesirable in the general
case. It means that every headline would be numbered 1.xxx.

Also some Markdown extensions provide meta-data keywords to specify,
e.g., the title of the document. This behaviour would just get in the
way for them since headlines would get one too many level with no real
reason.

There are several workarounds:

  - you can define filters to add another level to each headline and
    title at the beginning of the document.

  - you can use a {{{title}}} macro, e.g.,

      @@md:#@@ {{{title}}}

    and shift other headlines

If this is common enough, we could also add a defcustom to toggle this
behaviour (yet, off by default). But is it common enough?

* Re: orgmode to markdown
@ 2015-06-04  9:54       ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-06-04  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> If this is common enough, we could also add a defcustom to toggle this
> behaviour (yet, off by default). But is it common enough?

I never use the md exporter, and I'd never use md for a complex documents.

So to me it would be wasted effort.

That being said, I guess it would be not too much work.  Essentially it'd
be a mapping of a keyword-type (title, subtitle, author, date...) to a
format string, I guess.

Rasmus

--
Hooray!