* Recently emacs hangs on startup due to ESS
@ 2015-05-28 19:50 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2015-05-28 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been having some issues with emacs
hanging on startup. I usually kill the process, but inadvertently left
it in the background today, noting much later that it ended up
starting. I played with commenting out various parts of my config
until I narrowed things down to the line:

(require 'ess-site)

the message buffer displays "enabling speedbar support" for a
reeeaaally long time before it eventually starts up.

I tried debug-on-signal and eval-expression-debug-on-error... I'm not
sure what is supposed to happen with debug options, but no debug
buffer pops up. The only lines that appear relevant in *Messages* are:

ad-handle-definition: `ess-indent-command' got redefined
ad-handle-definition: `ess-eval-line-and-step' got redefined

How might I diagnose this further?. I'm not familiar with chasing down
Emacs issues other than narrowing it down to a config file option.

I can reproduce this with:
- emacs -Q
- putting this in the buffer

(add-to-list 'load-path "/path/to/ess/lisp")
(require 'ess-site)

- M-x eval-region on the above two lines

Thanks for any suggestions,
John

* Re: Recently emacs hangs on startup due to ESS
@ 2015-05-28 22:07 ` Cook, Malcolm
From: Cook, Malcolm @ 2015-05-28 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'John Hendy', emacs-orgmode

I would install latest ess fresh.

What version of emacs?  The package manager is a moving target these days.

Try to use the package manager to interactively install the latest

> - emacs -Q
> following: http://melpa.org/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#/getting-started
> - putting this in the buffer

(require 'package) ;; You might already have this line
(add-to-list 'package-archives
             '("melpa" . "http://melpa.org/packages/") t)
(when (< emacs-major-version 24)
  ;; For important compatibility libraries like cl-lib
  (add-to-list 'package-archives '("gnu" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")))
(package-initialize) ;; You might already have this line

> - M-x eval-region on the above lines

Then, M-x list-packages and install it by positioning the cursor on the line mentioning the ess package from melpa and typing "I".

The type "x" to execute your decision, and confirm with "yes".

Now, delete or move/hide your old ess bits and restart emacs.

Did it work?

@ 2015-05-28 22:20   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2015-05-28 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cook, Malcolm; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 5:07 PM, Cook, Malcolm <MEC@stowers.org> wrote:
> I would install latest ess fresh.

I wondered about that as well, so I tried that prior to posting here.
Sorry, I should have listed my version, which is now 15.03-1.

> What version of emacs?  The package manager is a moving target these days.

GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.2)
(installed via Arch Linux standard package)

> Try to use the package manager to interactively install the latest
>
>> - emacs -Q
>> following: http://melpa.org/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#/getting-started
>> - putting this in the buffer
>
> (require 'package) ;; You might already have this line
> (add-to-list 'package-archives
>              '("melpa" . "http://melpa.org/packages/") t)
> (when (< emacs-major-version 24)
>   ;; For important compatibility libraries like cl-lib
>   (add-to-list 'package-archives '("gnu" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")))
> (package-initialize) ;; You might already have this line

I could do this, though I've sort of decided to steer away from
packages and just manage things manually via my ~/.elisp/site-lisp
folder. Would this have an affect? My process was to simply download
the .zip of ESS, and unpack to ~/.elisp/site-lisp/ess (after deleting
the old version). This way, my .emacs can continue to point to
~/.elisp/site-lisp/ess/lisp regardless of what version I have.

If manual vs. [m]elpa would make a difference, I suppose I could give
the above a whirl.

Best regards,
John

@ 2015-05-28 22:38     ` Cook, Malcolm
From: Cook, Malcolm @ 2015-05-28 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'John Hendy'; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 5:07 PM, Cook, Malcolm <MEC@stowers.org>
> wrote:
> > I would install latest ess fresh.
>
> I wondered about that as well, so I tried that prior to posting here.
> Sorry, I should have listed my version, which is now 15.03-1.
>
> > What version of emacs?  The package manager is a moving target these
> days.
>
> GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.2)
> (installed via Arch Linux standard package)
>
> > Try to use the package manager to interactively install the latest
> >
> >> - emacs -Q
> >> following:
> >> http://melpa.org/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#/getting-
> star
> >> ted
> >> - putting this in the buffer
> >
> > (require 'package) ;; You might already have this line (add-to-list
> > 'package-archives
> >              '("melpa" . "http://melpa.org/packages/") t) (when (<
> > emacs-major-version 24)
> >   ;; For important compatibility libraries like cl-lib
> >   (add-to-list 'package-archives '("gnu" .
> > "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")))
> > (package-initialize) ;; You might already have this line
> >

> I could do this, though I've sort of decided to steer away from packages and
> just manage things manually via my ~/.elisp/site-lisp folder. Would this have
> an affect? My process was to simply download the .zip of ESS, and unpack to
> ~/.elisp/site-lisp/ess (after deleting the old version). This way, my .emacs can
> continue to point to ~/.elisp/site-lisp/ess/lisp regardless of what version I
> have.
>
> If manual vs. [m]elpa would make a difference, I suppose I could give the
> above a whirl.

Well, you'll get everything compiled if you use the package manager.  Worth it just for that!  There are other ways to get those files byte-compiled, but the package manager is probably the best.

Also, the package manager can help you discover when updates exist to ALL your eamcs packages.  Worth learning for that.

OTOH, as I said, it has been in flux lately and is still a moving target.

BTW, when did you last update emacs?

And, does (require 'ess-site) ALL BY ITSELF generate your error?

~Malcolm

@ 2015-05-28 23:23       ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2015-05-28 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cook, Malcolm; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 5:38 PM, Cook, Malcolm <MEC@stowers.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 5:07 PM, Cook, Malcolm <MEC@stowers.org>
>> wrote:
>> > I would install latest ess fresh.
>>
>> I wondered about that as well, so I tried that prior to posting here.
>> Sorry, I should have listed my version, which is now 15.03-1.
>>
>> > What version of emacs?  The package manager is a moving target these
>> days.
>>
>> GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.2)
>> (installed via Arch Linux standard package)
>>
>> > Try to use the package manager to interactively install the latest

>> star
>> >
>> > (require 'package) ;; You might already have this line (add-to-list
>> > 'package-archives
>> >              '("melpa" . "http://melpa.org/packages/") t) (when (<
>> > emacs-major-version 24)
>> >   ;; For important compatibility libraries like cl-lib
>> >   (add-to-list 'package-archives '("gnu" .
>> > "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")))
>> > (package-initialize) ;; You might already have this line
>> >

>> I could do this, though I've sort of decided to steer away from packages and
>> just manage things manually via my ~/.elisp/site-lisp folder. Would this have
>> an affect? My process was to simply download the .zip of ESS, and unpack to
>> ~/.elisp/site-lisp/ess (after deleting the old version). This way, my .emacs can
>> continue to point to ~/.elisp/site-lisp/ess/lisp regardless of what version I
>> have.
>>
>> If manual vs. [m]elpa would make a difference, I suppose I could give the
>> above a whirl.
>>

> Well, you'll get everything compiled if you use the package manager.  Worth it just for that!  There are other ways to get those files byte-compiled, but the package manager is probably the best.

ESS is sounding like compilation is optional, and I never have.
- http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/ess.html#Installation

> Also, the package manager can help you discover when updates exist to ALL your eamcs packages.  Worth learning for that.

Definitely. I may look into that. I pretty much just use Org and R, so
not super worried about it, but I really don't know enough to
understand what other packages ship with emacs that I could/should be
updating!

> OTOH, as I said, it has been in flux lately and is still a moving target.
>
> BTW, when did you last update emacs?

$ grep emacs /var/log/pacman.log

[2014-06-14 20:49] [PACMAN] upgraded emacs (24.3-6 -> 24.3-7)
[2014-10-23 10:28] [PACMAN] upgraded emacs (24.3-7 -> 24.4-1)
[2015-01-19 01:36] [ALPM] upgraded emacs (24.4-1 -> 24.4-2)
[2015-04-20 13:14] [ALPM] upgraded emacs (24.4-2 -> 24.5-1)

> And, does (require 'ess-site) ALL BY ITSELF generate your error?

Yup, see the original email:

#+begin_quote

I can reproduce this with:
- emacs -Q
- putting this in the buffer

(add-to-list 'load-path "/path/to/ess/lisp")
(require 'ess-site)

- M-x eval-region on the above two lines

#+end_quote

Thanks for the assistance!
John

@ 2015-05-28 23:34         ` Cook, Malcolm
From: Cook, Malcolm @ 2015-05-28 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'John Hendy'; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

John, still recommend you try fresh ess, compiled via package manager.  Also, update any packages needing updated.  Maybe speedbar?

I'm dry,

Best,

Malcolm

@ 2015-05-29  4:15           ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2015-05-29  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cook, Malcolm; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 6:34 PM, Cook, Malcolm <MEC@stowers.org> wrote:
> John, still recommend you try fresh ess, compiled via package manager.  Also, update any packages needing updated.  Maybe speedbar?

So, I followed your nice ELPA instructions, and things worked. Then I
wondered if it was compilation related, so I did that in my manually
downloaded ESS dir and re-enabled my default load path (instead of
ELPA), and no emacs hang. Then I run make clean, no hang. Then I do
the emacs -Q method in my original email... hang. Then make again, no
hang. Then make clean. No hang.

I also played with ess-speedbar-use-p in case it's an issue with that,
but at this point I feel like I can't reproducibly cause it to hang
anymore so I don't know what in the world is going on.

Definite wtf moment for me!

Thanks for all of your input/suggestions!
John

@ 2015-05-29  5:18             ` Cook, Malcolm
From: Cook, Malcolm @ 2015-05-29  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

John,

Glad you're "cooking with ESS".  Gonna hafta chalk your WTF moment up to some butterfly in Kamchatka.  Or was it Saskatchewan?

BTW, since you said you use org-mode, please note, when you get next perform a fresh install of org-mode, regardless of the  means (package manager, git pull, stork brought it, whatevs), make sure  it is compiled, and in a fresh boot of emacs unsullied by current (and soon to be ancien regime) org-mode.  In other words, run  `emacs -Q` as you do, and install the new org WITHOUT  LOADING THE EXISTING ORG.    You have been warned!

~ malcolm_cook@stowers.org